^^^^^ Great minds think alike :)
  • Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Options
    rub .........nm.......not worth a strike

^^This :tongue:
  • bleacheblonde
    Options
    One of the most relaxing things I can do is draw in my sketch book. I like to take it with me everywhere and anytime I have a spare moment, I can doodle away. I also journal when I'm anxious because it helps me to get those thoughts out of my brian and onto paper (plus I can take it to my therapist so she can read what I'm actually thinking during an anxiety spell). Sadly, sometimes I smoke to control my anxiety. I would not recommend starting this since it becomes more and more tempting to just grab an "instant calm stick."
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I watch cartoons.
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Drinking and sex.

this
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    We took my son to a clincal hypnotist due to his OCD and anziety issues.

He learned self hypnosis and relaxation.

It helps him alot! He also does martial arts and tricking to relax. If you don;t know what tricking is go to you tube and search for Mitch, lol He is kinda famous
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Do you have a pet? I've known a couple people with PTSD from the military who have therapy dogs and it helps them a lot. I have never experienced anxiety or PTSD, but my dog and cat help me relax! They really make me feel better on a bad day when no human can.
  • stellyna
    stellyna Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are going thru. One of the best things is Yoga. At first it will be hard to find a studio you like (I started it at home with videos), but once you find a good fit, it is so great! And it is a type of exercise too. :)
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    A pedicure. (Not as fond of my new salon, but I could never get appointments at the old one.)

A massage.

A long walk to clear my head.

Shopping. Especially for new, smaller-sized clothes.

Playing solitaire, sudoku, or something equally as mindless on my iPad.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    If the gym is burning you out, you could still walk -- make it slow if you want. I used to wander all over the place when I was anxious -- just that simple movement, even slow, shut my mind down for a while. Plus just watching the scenery go by, whether it's out in the country or in a city is soothing, too.

When I was really anxious, trying to do something sitting still (like reading, or watching TV/movies) didn't work. I had to take the edge off before I could sit still long enough to do something else relaxing.

Honestly, a low dose of some good meds helped me a LOT (Zoloft, Paxil, those kinds).

GOOD LUCK to you. Anxiety doesn't have an easy fix. And although I never had PTSD myself (that I know of), I imagine that's even harder.
  • Ninatoots
    Ninatoots Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    My son says hot yoga helps his wife and him with stress. I try to avoid watching to much TV during times of stress. Don't drink to relieve stress. That will backfire on you. I have the book Guide to Stress Reduction. by L. John Mason,Ph.D. I take medication for anxiety and insomnia. For years I was depressed so take something for that. Getting out doors more, enjoy quiet places. Work in the yard helps.
  • sudione
    Options
    I know it might sound REALL weird to you. But when I feel down, one of the things that helps me to get out of it is to help somebody! It does not have to be something BIG, you know? Just something small like giving people a nice compliment in grocery store or mall and bring a smile to their faces....it lifts me up!!!! Go figure!!!!! Well, MAYBE it will work for you......give it one try....it might help???? :)
  • 1nr15
    1nr15 Posts: 155
    Options
    lots of blankets and pillows, make the room cold, turn off the lights, watch a movie and cuddle with some tea :heart:
  • angel924_2004
    Options
    I have a pretty bad anxiety disorder and working out helps the most. But also going for a walk outside listening to mellow music helps me alot. Helps to quiet my thoughts/
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Pack one of my pipes with a favorite tobacco blend, crack open a cold beer, and enjoy.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    Options
    This ma sound really crazy but I read that video games can help people with PTSD. Particularly the games where you are moving an avatar (not like Dr. Mario where you are moving peices) are helpful. They can help your subconcious learn to contol situations...if you have nightmares then it could prove most helpful.
  • elcyclista
    Options
    I just drop in bed after work or school and zzzzzz.
  • angel101netta
    angel101netta Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later:)
    I like to shop and sometimes driving helps me to relax.
    I love going to my favorite coffee shop and watch the world go by.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Repeat a calming chant such as, Its gonna be ok. Over and over. It reallyy helps. :flowerforyou: