Moving from the machines to free weights

Options
Okay, so I know I need to make the move from the machines to free weights.

Before I joined my gym, I was doing NROLFW at home but I got nervous about increasing my weights without some kind of training or supervision to ensure my form was correct. So I went down to my local gym and signed up, thinking I could get some help there (and some equipment I don't have at home - squat rack, etc.).

But when I joined I was immediately given what seems to be the standard orientation and program workup. 30 mins cardio, then either an upper body or lower body circuit on the machines. At the time I totally wimped out and thought, "Oh good. This way I don't have to worry about figuring out the free weights stuff." Weak, I know. So anyway I have been doing the cardio + machines workout for several weeks and can see progress, but I know that for functional strength and flexibility I really should be working off the machines.

So my question is this...can I do this without a trainer? I am a total newb when it comes to heavy lifting, and I am deathly afraid that I will use poor form and injure myself. But when you ask about personal training at the gym, you get the sales pitch for a full program which costs $800 or thereabouts. That is just not in my budget any way you cut it.

Any advice for someone looking to make the move to lifting heavy without a trainer?

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing the vast majority of people here did not use a trainer. Get Starting Strength (3rd edition) on amazon and read how to do the moves. Then practice them, a lot. If you're really nervous, get a cheap tripod on amazon and record yourself doing exercises and review it later for form adjustment. That's what I do once in a while.

Could always try to seek out a friend or makes friends with someone in the gym for this purpose too.

Dope
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength is a great book to compare your form to.

Film yourself and send it to everyone, including me and we will critique your form, help you get better.
  • vanillarama
    vanillarama Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    First of all, RIGHT ON. I love posts like this. I actually am a PT now, but when I first started lifting, I had the same issues. I still encounter lots of new exercises, and what I usually do is look them up on YouTube if I need to see it done (repeatedly). Right now I'm learning a bit about functional training, so I can use the free weights differently and start using things like sand bags and kettlebells, etc. more often.

I second Starting Strength, also.

Good luck! I'm really excited for you!
  • johnsonboysg
    johnsonboysg Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    when at the gym, watch what the trainer doing for his client. its free to look. that how i got a lot of my moves. also i notice when on the machines if you let go (but you have to start out slow) you see result pretty fast it like using weights. First you start out on level one with no hands, then you go to and higher level like eight or higher for 2 minutes holding on then back to level one letting go. do level on for three minute and the higher level for two works very good
  • Plates559
    Options
    when at the gym, watch what the trainer doing for his client. its free to look. that how i got a lot of my moves.
    Unless what the trainer is teaching someone else doesn't go well with your goals then you've goofed yourself for free
    also i notice when on the machines if you let go (but you have to start out slow) you see result pretty fast
    What is this I don't even....
    It's like using weights.
    Its not like using weights because you are still stuck in a plane of motion that isn't natural, no balanced needed etc
    First you start out on level one with no hands, then you go to and higher level like eight or higher for 2 minutes holding on then back to level one letting go. do level on for three minute and the higher level for two works very good
    This is so vague that I doubt anyone would know what you were talking about even if you were doing it right in front of them.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    when at the gym, watch what the trainer doing for his client. its free to look. that how i got a lot of my moves. also i notice when on the machines if you let go (but you have to start out slow) you see result pretty fast it like using weights. First you start out on level one with no hands, then you go to and higher level like eight or higher for 2 minutes holding on then back to level one letting go. do level on for three minute and the higher level for two works very good

I know this post was created with the english language but no matter how many times I've read it, I still don't have any idea what you're talking about.
  • Plates559
    Options
    I'm guessing English is a second language...

Hablas espanol?
  • MeeshKB
    MeeshKB Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the tips. I will definitely get Starting Strength, and I love the idea of videotaping myself doing the exercises and reviewing for form. I think I'll do some of that at home before I hit the free weights at the gym.

Any other tips are still welcome!
  • paijing
    paijing Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Watching videos on youtube helped me learn better form, too. There are lots of tutorials.
  • offthedeependay
    offthedeependay Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I use a mirror at home to watch my form,,then you can correct it right away instead of waiting to see the video..great choice in switching over to free weights,,
  • Eureka175
    Eureka175 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like she is talking about the treadmill ( or something like that) where she is increasing the incline and holding on with hands, and when decreasing incline, letting go of the the rails....

OOps - meant to quote "johnsonboysg" response.