Back/Neck injury, please help

Options
Last night I injured my upper left back when doing chin-ups and it didn't hurt too much at the time. I then fell asleep and woke up this morning to a horrible pain around my shoulder/neck/upper back. I can't rotate my head without experiencing the pain. My GP is closed until monday and I'm assuming it is a pulled muscle so I don't want to go into a hospital for it, what would you suggest I do until monday?

Replies

• PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 3,073 Member
    Options
    Wanted to bump this for you so it doesn't get lost.

Hope you feel better...
  • sheleen302
    sheleen302 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Ice 20 min, then heat, same time, Ibu or aleeve-something with anti inflammatory agent. Could try a muscle rub ointment like icy hot. There are also heat packs you can put on the area that will keep it hot/warm. You might find relief from that. Maybe do some very light work with shoulder rolls, back, arms at side, while looking down. This will stretch your neck and traps, and go a bit down your back. Good luck, I hope it is just a muscle pull that heals quickly.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Ice 20 min, then heat, same time, Ibu or aleeve-something with anti inflammatory agent. Could try a muscle rub ointment like icy hot. There are also heat packs you can put on the area that will keep it hot/warm. You might find relief from that. Maybe do some very light work with shoulder rolls, back, arms at side, while looking down. This will stretch your neck and traps, and go a bit down your back. Good luck, I hope it is just a muscle pull that heals quickly.

Also consider massage or foam rolling. If you have a chiropractor you trust and will see emergencies that is an additional option.
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Chiropractor.
  • amberwren
    amberwren Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    800mg ibuprofen.. Rest.
  • bethdesimone
    Options
    Using ice or heat therapy-whatever works best for you-usually 15 min on at a time-always place a towel between your skin and the ice/heat pads.
    If using an electric heat pad- make sure the pad is ON THE LOWEST SETTING before applying to the area.
    Unless your physician has indicated otherwise (and you have no medication allergies/ gastrointestinal problems), you can take over the counter aspirin, tylenol, another mild pain reliever.
    As always-drink alot of water as that will help remove the buildup of lactic acid which has accumulated in your cramped/injured muscle.