Oh Coffee, You Horrid B****.

Options
13»

Replies

• now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I have a Tassimo and it is a wonderful little machine!

I make a latte or cappacino most mornings. There is also flavoured coffee as well for the machine. They even came out with a Second Cup Cafe Latte which is amazing! And only 80 calories a cup!

If you slowly cut down on the sugar you take in your coffee you will get used to drinking it black. As others have said, if you don't want to go out and buy a Tassimo (Keuig doesn't make lattes but has tons of flavoured coffee to choose from!) than buy some really good coffee beans, grind them youself and make up some coffee. A french press is easy and makes great coffee!

You don't have to give up your coffee, just find ways to have it fit better in your calorie goals if needed. If you need to do exercise for 20 minutes a day to fit in your coffee of choice than there's no harm in doing that. Of course 300 calories in a coffee are better spent on nutritious food it won't totally harm your journey.
  • Meikmeika
    Meikmeika Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    As long as it fits within your calories I see nothing wrong with having your latte......maybe limit yourself to one grande per day or get a venti with skim & half the amount of syrup. I remember having a starbucks habit, unfortunately my wallet won't allow it these days.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    And for flavour, I agree with those who mentioned Torani syrups (there are other brands out there too - coffeemate makes flavoured creamers which are great!). They add some really good flavour to your coffee for little calories (or none if you go with the sugar free ones).

I LOVE the caramel syrup! I get sugar free and it adds a nice hint of flavour to my coffee or lattes.
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    If you can't see yourself giving it up, then just make sure you have enough calories to cover it. You are right. This is a lifestyle change.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Love my husbands coffee. He makes the best! It doesn't matter if its cheap beans or the expensive kind. It always tastes great when my husband makes it and he always brings it to me with a smile. I have my coffee black with one splenda. Never drank coffee before meeting my husband but love it now after 20 years. I tried to give it up but only lasted 2 days before I thought I was going to bite someones head off lol.
  • poeticscribbler
    Options
    I drink black coffee, an 8oz cup has only 2 calories and no carbs. You can start with skim milk if you must to have milk.
  • ZiezieO
    ZiezieO Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    You're doing awesome with portion control other places... maybe go smaller (baby steps).

I use to be a barista and I swear I gained a lot of weight from making milky sugary cups of love for myself.
    Then I got a big girl job behind a desk with a nasty free coffee break room... Just going from lattes to regular bean coffee with enough sugar to choke a horse changed a lot for me. Now I have still a few packets of sugar, but no cream and I am seeing the results and not caring about those damn lattes anymore.

OH and my pocket book is much fuller these days too :wink:
  • MoniMoni2u
    MoniMoni2u Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I am a tea drinker not a coffee drinker, but I feel for you. The coffee you describe is not coffee, it's liquid dessert :)

And, if you must keep the coffee, experiment with high quality stuff. Really, the sugar and the milk are masking the bitterness - get a higher quality coffee and you won't feel you need to mask the bitterness as much. No idea what to tell you for coffee since I'm a tea girl... I don't do Lipton any more it tastes like crap to me. I am mostly a Republic of Tea girl, with decadent flavors like Strawberry Chocolate (put in that truvia and van/coconut milk and it is an awesome way to have chocolate without killing your diet!)

Yours truly, the tea snob.

Yeah, I'm a tea snob as well. Hand blended chais and fruit-y and chocolately blends as well. I've had stomach issues for the past year and just recently realized that my problem was black tea. So, I'll switch to herbal. I have to keep my caffeine at a low amount any way (less caffeine than an what is consumed in an 8 ounce cup of coffee per day. Good thing I don't like coffee!) so this switch is for the best anyway!

As for your coffee. For now, cut back the size. Later cut the size once more or start changing up the ingredients. Or don't. The choice is yours to make.

Right now, the last think I would want is something that would give me a sugar rush with the later let down. Let alone not getting something in my stomach to make me feel full! LOL. If the joy of your drink make up for these things than maybe you are doing what you need to do for now. Remember, you always have the power to make changes. Whether that be now or later or never.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I have no plans to give up my coffee! Maybe instead of the venti, go for a tall with an extra shot of espresso. It has about a hundred less calories that way. Maybe instead of every day, try for every other day. You don't have to give it up completely, but make some changes so that you can still enjoy your latte and see success with your weight loss.

(and this is coming from a Starbucks gold member, so I totally understand!)
  • hoodwinked
    Options
    Hey Labryinthrunn, :flowerforyou:

I used to HAVE to have my tall regular latte every afternoon. I found though that even the sugar in the regular milk alone would send me into low blood sugar shock, leaving me ravenous in that fake hungry type of way. This would happen consistently about 2.5 hours after drinking my afternoon latte. I slowly broke the habit by swapping it out for a shot of espresso on ice with a tiny bit of cream. It is very rich tasting (as opposed to sweet), and gives me my caffeine boost but does not leave me feeling shaky and hungry later.

As for morning coffee I have one of those plastic cups with a straw in it (you know the kind that they give you at trade shows or whatever). Anyway, I fill that with coffee so I know I'm only drinking 2 cups in the morning and then I add a bit of Silk's unsweetened soy milk. I used to drink my morning coffee with tons of half and half. I could NOT step over to the whole milk, non-fat milk realm of coffee drinkers. It would always just end up cooling my coffee off too much. But for some reason the unsweetened soy milk only takes a bit and my coffee is delicious. I believe I use a total of 1/4 cup Silk to my 16 oz of coffee. Best of luck in your coffee adventures!
  • jensweighingin
    jensweighingin Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm a cinnamon dulce venti girl. When they first only had it around Valentine's day I was inconsolable when they ran out of the syrup. The guy at the drivethru almost came out to give me a hug......

I get it skinny and log it. Is it *as* good as the 'real' thing, no. Does it give me what I want--skim milk, espresso, and a little sweet cinnamon goodness, sure thing! Maybe half regular/half sugar free syrup at first?

I make my own 'pumpkin spice' lattes at home. Pumpkin puree (fiber), splenda, and skim milk. Delicious fallness in a cup.....
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    So, this time I have decided to make a complete lifestyle change instead of trying to diet. Its going pretty well. I'm using portion control, healthier choices and frequent snacks to make better choices in the nutritional aspect of my life. But its coffee. It gets me every damn time. The problem is, I don't and cannot drink it black. I feel like I need it, want it, have to have it to stay awake in my morning classes. But again, my idea of a coffee is a cinnamon dolce latte from starbucks. Did I mention Venti?

Give up the coffee, you say. Try tea instead, you say. But, this is a lifestyle CHANGE. What if I don't want to live in a world where I can't have my latte in the morning? What then? Can I just drink it and exercise extra hard later? Am I shooting myself in the foot? I have already made it as healthy as I can. I get it made with nonfat milk, hold the whip. I'm not going sugar free. If I'm drinking it, I'm drinking it. I did stop asking for extra syrup though. Today I drank one and a half. But then, I also went and did an hour on the elliptical. Thoughts?
    You know, stop worrying about it.
    Over time, as your habits and lifestyle and fitness improve, you just change.
    The things you that used to be an "addiction" stop having such a grip on you.
    Your tastes change.
    I really see nothing wrong with you desire to have coffee, however you like it.
    But let your creative mind go to work.
    How can you satisfy your desire to have a healthier cup of coffee, while still enjoying it immensely?
    Have you tried using stevia or part stevia to sweeten it? And half-n-half is really not that bad, macro-wise. You could use that.

If you are working on making changes in other areas, and are moving forward, then enjoy your coffee.
    You can always work on changing that later.
    And likely, you will become more moderate with your "coffee-vice" as you become more healthy in general
  • Breadbar
    Breadbar Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I now save Starbuks for an occasional treat. I perk four cups of fresh hot flavored decaf every day & drink it black with splenda - working @ giving up the sweetener. Can't justify the latte calories & enjoying the $ savings!
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Torani makes syrups sweetened with splenda. I put just a dash in my coffee and it's really good.

My fiance has the exact same problem as you do. Venti cinnamon dolce lattes. Something like 300+ calories and 55 carbs. I've ordered some Torani syrups he may like, but they haven't arrived yet. The "skinny" cinnamon dolce he got tonight tasted like crap.

Feel free to add me and we can share stories of our Starbucks trials and tribulations. ;)

Splenda is 2 molecules from pesticide (sorry). Go with Truvia or Stevia in the Raw.
  • awisegirl84
    awisegirl84 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If you're totally unwilling to give up your "coffee" -- then go for a Tall instead of a Venti. You can still have your treat, but this size will be easier to fit into your calorie allotment.

edit: once you reduce your sugar intake, you might find these drinks more unpleasant. I don't do well with added sugars in anything anymore.
    I recently changed to a Misto (half coffee, half milk) and then whatever flavor syrup (toffee nut) you like. A Grande nonfat with syrup is only about 150 calories. I also feel like it does a better job of "getting me through" my mornings than the lattes do.

You'll figure out what works for you though. If you can stay within your calories, I say, have what you want.

Edit: It's also at least $1 cheaper than a latte. If you register a Starbucks gift card and reload it to pay for your drinks, you will get the syrup addition for free and you'll get free drinks every 15 purchases.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    this is an interesting thread in light of the proposed New York ban on supersized drinks... I think it answers the question nicely.. YES. ban the gigantic ones...but that's just my opinion. (if people have to buy 2 less-healthy drinks to get their kick, they'll probably think twice, find out that one is satisfying enough and be that much closer to 'healthy') mho of course
  • FemmeJolie
    FemmeJolie Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Starbucks has sugar free cinnamon dulce and though Im a big advocate for sugar and not fake processed nasty chemicals I STILL get it SF and skinny and it still tasted delicious!!!
    However I get it small and blended (frapped)... Hot coffee doesnt hide SF very well
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    I hate black coffee too. But I don't think there's anything wrong with skimmed milk so it doesn't bother me one jot :) I drink milky coffee all day, and account for the milk in my calories.

I don't have sugar in it though, or sugar syrups.