Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Bodybuilding and getting ripped

Building muscle mass while losing fat. I have been doing both but progress is not consistant. Anyone else trying to do this? My issue is hunger overwhelms me when I lift heavy so I overeat. Feedback is desirable

Replies

• If you are burning more working out, it's ok to eat more, as long as you are meeting your daily calorie goal.
  • Over the last two years I've gone from 268lbs @ 23% body fat, down to 241lbs @ 13% body fat, the weight loss doesn't seem like much but during most of that time frame I was eating anywhere from 3500-4400 calories a day. How much food are you taking in a day? My daily meal was usually -

Breakfast - 5 scrambled eggs/turkey bacon/ wheat toast
    Lunch - Chicken Whole wheat wrap + salad
    After gym meal - 2 beef burritos
    Dinner - Pretty much anything as long as it didn't have too many carbs.
    * In between meals I'd usually have a protein shake, yogurt or almonds.

I knew what I was doing worked because my strength was increasing even though my face & waist were getting thinner. I started doing intermittent fasting last year and cut down to around 2600-3000 calories, weight has been steady but body fat is decreasing.

Do you do any cardio in addition to lifting? I've been doing sprinting + boxing routines and every once in a while I'll ride my bike when the weather permits. I stay away from steady state cardio.
  • FormerMarine1
    FormerMarine1 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Yes, I am working on that now, I do good for about 2 days then I start to get really hungry! Maybe not enough water? I do 4 days of cardio with 1-2 days of intervals. I burn anywhere from 700-1200 calories each workout. I hit each bodypart once a week hard. I am increasing strength and size but I eat like a horse!
  • sueb12345678
    sueb12345678 Posts: 41 Member
    Do you take protein after your work outs..
    It may just stop them hungry buggers...
  • FormerMarine1
    I will give a protein shake a try post workout.. thanks so much. Time to get to the gym!
  • FormerMarine1
    Yes! The protein worked!! Thank you
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Over the last two years I've gone from 268lbs @ 23% body fat, down to 241lbs @ 13% body fat, the weight loss doesn't seem like much but during most of that time frame I was eating anywhere from 3500-4400 calories a day. How much food are you taking in a day? My daily meal was usually -

I knew what I was doing worked because my strength was increasing even though my face & waist were getting thinner. I started doing intermittent fasting last year and cut down to around 2600-3000 calories, weight has been steady but body fat is decreasing.

Do you do any cardio in addition to lifting? I've been doing sprinting + boxing routines and every once in a while I'll ride my bike when the weather permits. I stay away from steady state cardio.

Nice going!

I tend to state away from SS CV, too. I've noticed I start getting flabby when I do it. :huh: HIIT is where it's at.

And my strength has been increasing, too, despite being on a (mild) calorie deficit.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Over the last two years I've gone from 268lbs @ 23% body fat, down to 241lbs @ 13% body fat, the weight loss doesn't seem like much but during most of that time frame I was eating anywhere from 3500-4400 calories a day. How much food are you taking in a day? My daily meal was usually -

How tall are you? Hard to tell from your pics. I ask cos' I'm 5'9" and eating around 2500 most days to lose the fat whilst maintaining muscle and getting stronger. My BF% is considerably higher than where you started though, and I don't do any cardio, HIIT or SS. Bodyfat has dropped a lot since I started (though still way too high) but my weight has stayed exactly the same.
  • i have just started lifting weights last month and i do 12-30mins of cardio first so i am a "newbie" too and i see my wieght lost progressing....i take a protein drink right before my work-out (in my car at the gym) and another one/or i'll finish myfirst shake after my work-out...i burn half or close to have my calories inake each workout

• How tall are you? Hard to tell from your pics. I ask cos' I'm 5'9" and eating around 2500 most days to lose the fat whilst maintaining muscle and getting stronger. My BF% is considerably higher than where you started though, and I don't do any cardio, HIIT or SS. Bodyfat has dropped a lot since I started (though still way too high) but my weight has stayed exactly the same.

I'm 6"1

Yeah when I started I just stopped focusing on the scale because it rarely moved, yet everyone told me I was losing weight, there was even a stretch where I gained weight and people commented on how much thinner I looked. My body fat was low for the weight I carried when I started, a lot of that is due to the fact I used to work out a lot before I got lazy.