Help with sugars

Options
Okay, I am asking some assistance, today I had one package of Buddy Friuits and one banana, I didn't realize that a raw banana had a lot of sugars. So with those two items I am now over my sugars for the day by 11. Does anyone else have problems keeping their sugars down and is so what do you suggest.

Thanks,

Replies

• OK_Girl
    OK_Girl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I had to google what Buddy Fruits was. I don't mean this to be rude in any way- but that is not food, and I wouldn't put it in your body. Please eat a nice apple instead. Apples and other fresh fruits are the best way to indulge your sweet tooth. With an apple you get the whole fruit- the fiber, the water, the peel, the goodness from the sun and air. I'm not sure what you are getting from that pouch but it can't be good!

I struggled with sugars, too.
  • OK_Girl
    Options
    Here's your problem right here

http://www.buddyfruits.com/blended_apple_cinnamon.php

ingredients- CONCENTRATED APPLE JUICE- ie, added sugar! I HATE it when companies fool us. 100% fruit, no added sugar. Well they have tricked you by adding concentrated apple juice, to make it sweeter. This is no different than adding sugar- but it allows them to say their product has no added sugar, etc.
  • Theresal77
    Theresal77 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I appreciate the suggestion and truth, I do have apples in the house so, I will try that as a substitute. I. Don't take things in a negative way, I am hear to learnand try new things to get to my goal. Thank you for your response and suggestion.
  • OK_Girl
    Options
    You are very welcome. Best of luck to you.

PS bananas have varying levels of sugar content depending on ripeness. The greener it is, the less sugar is has. The riper it is, the sugar content goes up. Strange, huh.
  • Theresal77
    Options
    I didn't know that about bananas. That is really interesting. How long have you been on this site and learning about all the little trick to make the life changes you must do .
  • OK_Girl
    Options
    I think I have been here 3-4 weeks.

I just pick up bits and pieces here and there, you will too. When I was going over on my sugars I opened up my diary and asked for advice. People looked at what I was eating and made suggestions.

I also don't know alot about all the science of it all- I just try to eat 'clean' as in no processed foods. Absolutely NO junk food- no chips, cakes, sweets, etc. Sometimes I slip- but I am learning and loosing. The first two weeks were the hardest but I am getting the hang of it now. Keeping a food diary lets you see why you got overweight in the first place- you have a clear history of fat and carb and sugar- for each food. Simply stop eating that food and find a better alternative. After awhile it will start to stick and become second nature what foods are good and bad. And I am now already reaching the point where I have lost my taste and craving for junk food. It looks like trash and I can't bring myself to want it. I pass things I used to enjoy in the supermarket and I used to love them- now they don't appeal to me at all. I think my tastes are changing.
  • SorayaRosaria
    Options
    Everything Polydactylcat said is true... you learn as you go and stop eating the things you see that are making the sugar levels go up. I think you are on the right path, just noticing that your intake of sugar is out of proportion because then you can make the change. Congrats. Here is what I learned also about fruits and sugar content. There is sugar in most everything, in vegetables, in breads, in milk, in most everything. Just go down your list of foods and see what items have highest content and then I lower the portion. I used to eat two slices of wheat bread until I noticed that 2 slices were putting me way over my carb goal for that meal AND my sugar goal for that meal. Now I eat only 1 slice of wheat bread. You can't avoid sugar content, but you can lower the intake. On fruit I learned that all fruit have sugar too and that you should really limit yourself to one to two servings of fruit per DAY! Because it is still sugar intake. I have the blessing to have a nutritionist on my friend list and she corrects me and answers all my questions and have taught me soooo much. Here is the latest I learned when I complained two days ago that I am frustrated I can't have more fruit because I am all the time going over my sugar intake: Quoting her: "Eat your fruit, just make sure not more than one to two servings per day, and make sure to eat with a lean protein. Fruit alone is not good. Fruit is still sugar, and many people feel that since it has all the antioxidants that it's OK to eat as much as they want. Fruit is fructose, which is really the worst type of sugar to ingest, since it is metabolized by the liver. All other sugars are converted to glycogen and travel to the cells to be used for energy. Fructose is not".
    Hope this helps too.
  • SorayaRosaria
    Options
    Also, because there is sugar in most everything, even in milk, I have now come to look for options to lower the intake by choosing a similar item. Like now I switched to Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Original (not vanilla) and the sugar content is very low compared to milk. I use it now for my protein shakes. Yogurt has sugar, especially if you choose fruit ones. So, I buy some that are vanilla or fruity ones, but also plain ones and depending if I am in balance or over I choose each kind for that meal. After I plan my whole day and I notice that I am way over, I go back and replace items, for example instead of making my protein smoothy with a fruity yogurt, I change it for a plain greek yogurt. And right there you see the sugar content go down for the day end results. Same with carb, protein, etc. Protein is the hardest to reach my goals, so I may need to add more egg whites to my day or more cottage cheese, etc. But important to me has been how I have learned to plan my meals upfront and then go back and make changes, move things around until it is as balanced as possible.
  • Theresal77
    Options
    Soraya, thank you so much for the suggestions. Sounds like having two natural sugars from "real fruit" is the way to go.

Since today I am over for sugars, I will try again tomorrow. :-)
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    It is unfortunate that the natural sugar in a piece of "yummy good-for-you + fiber + vitamins + macronutrients" fresh fruit can throw your "sugar" for the day out of whack! I personally have decided to be more concerned about ADDED sugars than those occuring naturally in fresh fruit, some veggies (like carrots), milk, etc. If we concentrate on eating foods that are as unprocessed as possible, ie off a tree instead of out of a box, then overall our health and wellness will be improved.
  • Theresal77
    Options
    Happy to report today, I have been able to stay below my sugars today :-)