Probiotics? Yay or Nay?

Options
A friend of mine is telling me that I should really get on some Probiotics. And the higher the bacteria count, the better? They are expensive and don't wanna just jump on it. Anyone have any opinions about them? Sucess stories? Thanks for the help. I have a LOT of weight I need to lose.

Replies

• Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I started taking them a couple of weeks ago and they've helped me a lot! Not so much with weight loss (I lost 2lbs this week but I'm assuming that is from eating right & working out) however my digestive system is working a lot better, I've got a lot less bloating and a very flat tummy every morning. I'm gonna stay on them for sure!
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I don't think it would hurt, but there's really no REAL use for it unless you have stomach/intestinal issues, or (like me, unfortunately) frequent yeast infections. Personally, instead of wasting the money on probiotic I prefer to buy yogurt that contains the good bacteria/"live cultures".

But, like I said, if you have stomach/intestinal/cramping/digestive/yeast issues, you're more likely to benefit from extra probiotics than those that don't suffer from any of those types of issues. But either way, having extra wouldn't hurt - it's just extra money you don't really need to spend lol

Hope this helps. :)

Love and Alohas,
    -Ihilani Kapuniai
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    I've taken them in the past when I've had stomach problems and they've really helped. Yoghurt is also good - the real live stuff that is.
  • jazee11
    jazee11 Posts: 321
    Options
    You don't need to buy the supplements.

Yogurt, miso and apple cider vinegar (with the veil) all have natural probiotics. Remember to eat the prebiotics as well (garlic, onion, etc).
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I have stomach issues and it works well for me. It settles it down. I :heart: it. And I do credit kefir to help me with my weightloss because clenches down my hunger without eating excessively. Hardboiled eggs helped too.

I favor plain kefir which doesn't have sweet stuff added to it (fruit of sugars). :heart:
  • Fallouts
    Options
    I had a stomach virus a few weeks ago, it went on for a week, then I took some Probiotics and my stomach issues cleared up within a day or two.
  • dk_runs
    dk_runs Posts: 106
    Options
    I say "Yay". I have IBS and probiotics are the only way I can stay off of prescription medicine. They really help me with my stomach issues.
  • leska1216
    Options
    I have stomach issues and it works well for me. It settles it down. I :heart: it. And I do credit kefir to help me with my weightloss because clenches down my hunger without eating excessively. Hardboiled eggs helped too.

I favor plain kefir which doesn't have sweet stuff added to it (fruit of sugars). :heart:

Lucky you to have kefir. Love that stuff. Wish I could get some live culture to start my own.

Probiotics works great for severe stomach/digestive/intestinal issues. Helps keep me practically gasless, and relieves cramping and bloating.
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine is telling me that I should really get on some Probiotics. And the higher the bacteria count, the better? They are expensive and don't wanna just jump on it. Anyone have any opinions about them? Sucess stories? Thanks for the help. I have a LOT of weight I need to lose.

hmmmmm idk too much about it.. but I do know that "Acidopholis" is great!! and not that expensive.. digestive enzyme.. natural.. has the good bacteria/break down and all that jazz (helps u go #2 also in a healthy way) and if i feel like i had too much salt that day or kinda bloated or just blah.. ill take one.. like b4 bed and in the morning i do feel more deflated.. helps your system...
    I use them like in place of tums also.. that kinda effect
  • renamarie77
    renamarie77 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Wow. Thanks everyone for the helpful info. I didn't think about it helping with my stomach/intestinal issues, which I do have, so I will definitely do some research into what everyone said here. Good luck to everyone.
  • CDH786
    CDH786 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I tried them but since they are dairy based, made things worse. I eat soya yoghurt and if I see soya based pro-biotics would have them but they are few and far between. If you have any issues with dairy or lactose, my advice is to avoid them.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    For stomach issues, yes. Weight loss, no. Don't see how it would help with the latter. I have slow motility and it takes forever for my food to digest and sorry, yogurt didn't and doesn't cut it. Besides the marketing of Activia etc have you eating that 3 times a day; I don't think so! I take Align and love it and it surely helps with my problems.