My Old Scale was lying to me :(

Options
So I purchased a new digital scale yesterday :smile:, so for the last month I have been weighing in with my old dinosaur scale and I knew it was maybe a pound or two off but 10 POUNDS OMG :mad:
I feel at such a loss right now, here I thought I was doing good by doing the Biggest Loser 2 and the boot camp dvds 3 times a week for the last 2 weeks as well as my recumbent bike and walking / picking up kids from school...

To boot to my whinny fess lol, I came down with the cold the kids so generosity passed along to me.

If you have read this, thanks for your time.... :yawn:

Replies

• ali258
    ali258 Posts: 403
    Options
    Well, you still lost the weight -- your start weight was just higher than you thought. You can go back through your weights and add on the difference from the new scale if that will help you stay motivated. I got a new scale for Christmas and just incorporated the difference into my expected Christmas gain -- but my new scale was only a few pounds off of my old one. It's okay, you still lost the pounds! Don't get discouraged!
  • trachnurse
    Options
    Hey there, don't be too discouraged! I had the same thing happen, so what I did was weigh on the old and then the new and compare, then counted the weight loss I had into it. So maybe I was 10 pounds heavier to start with, but I still had lost weight.
    So good luck keep your head up and congrats on your weight loss!
    :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:
    569675.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • guidosgal
    guidosgal Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    SO your new scale is 10 pounds differance but you have to remember that the new scale would have shown a different weight if you would have started with it in the first place (hope you understood that) I am saying do not be bummed :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • aerobicgirl
    aerobicgirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    did you step on the scale then get off then weigh yourself/ bc when i moved my scale i weighed myself and it was off my 3 lbs. then i read the instructions/ it says if you move it to step on it get off then weigh yourself/ just a suggestion/
  • jgrandison
    jgrandison Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I would probably get another opinion that is a big jump maybe the digital was wrong, i have one and we have a love hate relationship I am seriously considering getting a different one. good luck to you and I hope it goes the way you want it too.
  • paddlemom
    paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Try not to get caught up with the actual number on the scale!!! You have still lost just as much weight and are heading in the right direction. Think of the numbers as just a reference of where you were and where you are going. I weigh both at home and at my club and there is about 10 lbs difference between the two scales. I just keep track of both and if they both heading downward, I know that I'm on the right track.

It's the number on your ticker that should be giving you the motivation to keep it up! You are doing awesome! :flowerforyou:
    And btw...digital doesn't necessarily mean more accurate :)

Hope you feel better soon! Drink lots of fluids and anticipate that the darned scale will give you a little grief until you get over the cold, then it will make you happy again....:flowerforyou:
  • Rebecca__Lynn
    Options
    mmmm yeah, I used to have one of those too...I got tired of going to the Dr's and weighing 5-7 lbs more...depressing. So I decided to splurge and get me a nice digital scale that weighed accurately. No more surprises when I go to the Dr's !!!
  • Wendy_d
    Options
    Thank you ladies for all the kind works and the encouragement to keep going..:flowerforyou:

I do have to admit that when I got home, and tore open the box it was in the middle of the kitchen floor with clothing on but I minuses the 3lbs for clothing..and when I brought it in to my bathroom I placed it where I was weighing in with my other scale it was a 9.5 difference.

BTW Ladies, looking at all your tickers. AWESOME JOBS !!!
  • youngs
    youngs Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that you way yourself on a friends or at dr office then go by that ...might have a new set of defective scales..I had this happen then when got new set it was with in few pounds of the other one..but the new ones drive me crazy cause you have to watch where you stand on them or you will get all kind of diffrent reading..so i see an new and improved set in future.. I told my hubby thats what I want for Valentines day..instead of choc..LOL
  • lauralee61
    Options
    Your awesome to Wendy and I am very proud of your accomplishments and I know you can do this
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything here. Just because the new scale is different, doesn't make it correct. And you still know that you look exactly as you did when you were using the other scale. I wouldn't worry about the specific number at all, what's important is the direction its moving in.

What's more important than that is the direction the tape measure is moving in. You should really buy one of those (about $1) and rely much more on that. I'd track your measurements in excel as well, rather than mfp. I find the progress reports on mfp are really bad and inflexible. If you use excel, you can easily keep some equations lined up to automatically calculate your BMI, BMR, and body fat % as you go. Maybe that's getting a bit involved ;)
  • aerobicgirl
    aerobicgirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    i would rely on how your clothes fit you. are they feeling loser? perfect or tight/ then there you have it/