Starting c25k Tomorrow - any advice??

Options
Hi Folks,

I am starting c25k tomorrow. Tomorrow would be week 1, day 1 for me. I plan to take it easy. Lets see how it goes for me.

Any advice from those who have/are doing c25k? Any tips are welcome!!!

Thanks

Replies

• shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    good shoes and go as slowly as you can speed will come later
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    listen to your body
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Stick with it. It does wonders.
    Have an mp3 with you.
    Don't drink a lot of water before/during the run.
  • mjwarford
    mjwarford Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    For me, C25K was a great learning experience that most of my fitness obstacles were mental. Being able to do it or not do it was all in my head. I completed that program about 4 years ago and have been doing 5K, 8K, and 10K races since then, not to mention 3 sprint tris. Trust the program and know that many people have done it successfully but most of all stick to it and trust yourself that you will become one of them.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    If you're new to running, listen to your body. I pushed through knee pain in the couch to 10k too long and had to stop running, at least for awhile.
  • alanjwood
    alanjwood Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Get a good pair of running shoes. Slow down if you're struggling. Have fun!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Good shoes. Good socks. Good music. And go slow. :smile:
  • 1Fizzle
    1Fizzle Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Follow the program!! It is good at starting you at a slow pace until you build stamina. You can also customize it so access yourself after your first workout and adjust to a more accurate setting (if necessary). Good shoes are a plus as others have stated as well! Lastly a positive attitude!! You can do it!
  • alliesun98
    Options
    Don't be discouraged if it takes you several tries to complete some of the workouts. It took me a week to get past workout number one and now I've been on week three for almost a month.

Defnitely make sure you have good shoes! I went to a store that specializes in running shoes and had them evaluate my feet and run to see what shoes were best for me.

Good luck!!
  • afv417
    afv417 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I completed Week 2 Day 1 today and OMG!!! I've always had the mentality, "I won't ever be able to run... I can't do that..." I literally choked (almost cried and hoping no one noticed) while on the treadmill because I WAS doing it! I'm starting off slow, walking 3.2mph and jogging 4.2mph. Once I graduate, I may do it all over again out doors.

GOOD LUCK! Have fun with it! Listen to your body! :)
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Good shoes from a local running store where experts can fit you based on your foot. Not a big box sporting goods store. Not a regular shoe store.

Run slow. It is hard to run too slow when you are starting out. It's a more common mistake to try and run too fast.

Be proud - you're a runner on Day 1! You are in a wonderful community and part of a positive minority in our society. Hold your head high, enjoy being a runner, and have fun!
  • littlejobo120
    littlejobo120 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Definitely go slowly. I've spent the last 8 weeks getting over a stress-fractured leg because I thought I could advance quicker than the program allowed for. It's a great way of getting into running though so just take it easy and enjoy!
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I completed Week 2 Day 1 today and OMG!!! I've always had the mentality, "I won't ever be able to run... I can't do that..." I literally choked (almost cried and hoping no one noticed) while on the treadmill because I WAS doing it! I'm starting off slow, walking 3.2mph and jogging 4.2mph. Once I graduate, I may do it all over again out doors.

GOOD LUCK! Have fun with it! Listen to your body! :)

:smile: Love reading that! :smile:
  • luckyclover78
    luckyclover78 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    get fitted for the right shoes. Running puts a lot of stresses on your body. I learned the hard way. I had the wrong shoes and injured my ankle because my feet pronate too much. If you've got the shoes go for it! It's a great program!
  • Niecie130
    Niecie130 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Go to a runners store, not a mall store and get a free gait analysis and get fitted for proper running shoes. I just completed C25K and ran my 1st race in August. I would not have been able to do it pain free or injury free without proper running shoes. It is worth the investment especially if you plan to adopt running/jogging/wogging as a lifestyle. Here is what I did to get started:

- plan a safe well lit, highly populated route in advance
    - register now for your 5K race in 9 or 10 weeks (for motivation)
    - tell at least 5 people what you are doing, saying it to others makes it real and they will cheer you on and keep you on track
    - stretching regimen (5 - 10 minutes of good stretches before & after runs from your neck to ankle will keep you injury & pain free)
    - water bottle belt (your hands should be free, it also holds your ID, phone and keys...you can find them at Target for $15)
    - drink water before you run, during your run and after your run - stay hydrated
    - make sure you eat a healthy meal before so you have fuel to complete your run
    - a running buddy (for companionship and accountability, 8 weeks is a long time and you may be tempted to quit)

Here are some items that I found invaluable:

- moisture wicking Tshirts and Shorts/Pants (so you won't be weighed down with sweat, regular cotton T's hold in sweat)
    - sun screen
    - sun glasses
    - hat/visor

Have fun, it was one of best things I have ever done. The sense of accomplishment is amazing! the weight loss is an added side effect ;-)
  • rjlkat
    rjlkat Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Don't force yourself to move to the next 'Week' until your body is ready. It's okay to repeat weeks several times if you need to do so; I had to do Week 3 two or three times. I've not made it past Week 4 yet because in the middle of it I tore a hamstring. I have since been told that the injury was at least indirectly caused by my shoes and - as of today - I now have a pair of proper running shoes after an evaluation. So, to reiterate what others here have said - invest in the shoes.

Personally, part of my problem is boredom, so if you can find something to occupy your mind while you run, it may help (audio books? Plot work if you're a writer? Homework assignmnents if you're a student?).

Good luck, and whatever you do, listen to your body and don't give up. Delays may happen; just work through them and take all the time you need.
  • SlinkyNewMe
    SlinkyNewMe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have just started too. I am doing Week 1 for the second week until I get used to it. My advice to you is to keep at it. Repeat weeks if you need to. Don't run too fast, as many have said already. It is approaching autumn here so another bit of advice I would give, if your climate is similar to the UK is don't let the weather put you off - if you really don't like running in cold wet weather, run on the treadmill, and try and at least get one run outside per week. That way you won't let the weather prevent you from doing your runs (or be able to use that as an excuse)!
  • diver71_au
    diver71_au Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    STRETCH !!!

Dynamic stretches before and static stretches after.
  • nejaustin
    nejaustin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Be in the moment and have a great time!
  • allison0820
    allison0820 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    go as slowly as you can speed will come later

This^^^^^