Would you go to a fitness class all alone?

Options
Well,there's a floor at the gym I go where there are some fitness classes going on including Pilates,Yoga,Kick Box,LeMills c (body combat etc.),Zumba,Dance aerobic etc.

The point is that I am way too shy to go on my own. I would feel so awkward and weird.

What would you do and how to gain more confidence? It's cool when I'm with a group but I get completely shy and stupid when im alone.

Replies

• foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I always go alone. I have no choice at the moment. It really isn't that bad.
  • MagpieKat
    Options
    I think I remember feeling the same way you did. But honestly I prefer to go alone now. I mean, I've gotten to know some of the other class "regulars" but I think I get much more effective of a workout and burn when I'm concentrating solely on ME and the job at hand and not having a laugh with chums or wondering if they thought I looked silly.

Please push yourself a little and go to one. Just stand in the back and you'll find yourself starting to enjoy it for the burn and not for the social aspect.
  • rockchalk03
    Options
    I enjoy going to classes alone. It's the time that I use for just me, with no distractions.
  • anzi888
    anzi888 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I was like that before. I was going to the gym with a friend and when she missed, I missed. I then realized that a lot of people were going alone. The first time I went by myself, I didn't really enjoy it that much. At first, yes it's awkward and weird but I got over it within the first 5 minutes. Now, I go by myself all the time. I don't think anyone really notices because we're all there to workout. I would tell you just to go by yourself and then you'll see it's not that bad. Good Luck!!
  • RaineMarie
    RaineMarie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I really like going to classes alone too. I feel like I focus more on my workout that way.
  • littlecar1
    littlecar1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    When I actually go to exercise classes I always go alone.

I have found it easier if I go to the instructor & tell them that it's my first time. They have always been very friendly & they make sure that I'm are doing things right.

Be brave & go for it - you'll feel so much better once you have.
  • tammymeis
    Options
    No reason to be shy about anything. Just go in, smile, and take a spot. Relax, workout, and have a good time. Before you know it you won't give it a second thought and will probably have made a few "like-minded" workout friends.
    Life begins one step beyond your comfort zone. At least that's what my FB cover page says! LOL
    But seriously, go for it and expect it to be great, and it probably will :-)
    Tammy
    www.facebook.com/coachtammym
  • nataliexxxx
    Options
    I go to aerobics on my own but the first time I went I was with someone else so now I'm used to going, I want to go to other classes too but I'm worried about going alone
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Just go for it! I goo to trx class and boxing class alone. Nobody will judge you and I feel like I concentrate better without a work out partner. I actually brought a friend once and she was really distracting because she didn't seem as motivated and kept cracking jokes or asking me questions. So my suggestion is just show up, sign in, pick a spot, and do it! :) you'll be happy you did.
  • Rowan813
    Rowan813 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! You may start out alone but soon you will meet people. I go alone all of the time. Class time isn't really for chatting with friends.
  • helyg
    helyg Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I go to Adult Improver Swimming Lessons on my own. I was nervous before I started but once I was there I think I was actually less self conscious not knowing anyone.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I've tried several classes by myself - it's not bad at all. Like someone else said, you meet new people and make new friends and eventually you're not alone.
  • Cindy393
    Cindy393 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    absolutely. I've gone to several classes alone. I figure I'm there for me, and usually everyone is friendly anyway :) just builds my self-esteem even higher!
  • Morgaine_on_the_move
    Options
    Go! If you find a welcoming class with lots of regular participants, you will make friends with them. The zumba/hiphop classes have been an amazing way for me to make friends over the past year. It may take some time, but you can form some very strong friendships that way and feel a great sense of camaraderie.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Makes me uncomfortable too.... You have to suck it up and push yourself out of you comfort zone though. once you've done it a few times it gets easier x
  • KayleighRebecca25
    Options
    I went to my first fitness class on Thursday, i was dreading it because im also very shy, but honestly once the class got started it didnt matter that i was alone, and im going again next thursday

Just bite the bullet and go for it!
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Well,there's a floor at the gym I go where there are some fitness classes going on including Pilates,Yoga,Kick Box,LeMills c (body combat etc.),Zumba,Dance aerobic etc.

The point is that I am way too shy to go on my own. I would feel so awkward and weird.

What would you do and how to gain more confidence? It's cool when I'm with a group but I get completely shy and stupid when im alone.

You just go and you soon become part of the group.
  • wow29
    wow29 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Jst go you can do it!:blushing:
  • Jennhasfaith
    Jennhasfaith Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I prefer going alone. I can concentrate on my workout and get more out of it to. I started yoga that way. Now, I'm friends with the yoga instructor and a few of the regulars that come!
  • LupaNera
    Options
    Try to make new friends and you will see that is really fun at the end!