Would you go to a fitness class all alone?

Options

Replies

• mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    i've done i have also been the only guy in class. i'm not cordnated and i've done zumba, kick boxing, butts and guts. if it makes yeah feel better it mostly women and theirs some one always way worse then you or at your level
  • 5pmsomewherenow
    5pmsomewherenow Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    One of our friends on the board wrote: "Life begins one step beyond your comfort zone." AND I've always LOVED what Elenor Roosevelt said: "Do one thing every day that scares you."

Imagine that you try a yoga class, and then go to another. Then it becomes a weekly appointment you keep with, and for yourself! Then, you try a pilates class, or Zumba, Kickboxing or Kettlebell... you are opening up a whole new avenue for staying fit, building muscle and endurance in ways that are so beneficial to your weekly plan to have fun, stay in shape, and expand your fitness horizons. Not matter what you're doing at the gyn -- YOU HAVE TO CHANGE THINGS UP every couple of months to still see results.

I think you'll find that you are watching the instructor 95% of the time, and concentrating on your own performance and promising yourself that you can benefit from this, when it's over... AND, so everyone else is doing the same. Just watch the instructor and smile at him or her, to show you are appreciative and liking the class.
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    always gone alone - doens't bother me .... make friends when you get there
  • larryc0923
    larryc0923 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    No reason to be shy about anything. Just go in, smile, and take a spot. Relax, workout, and have a good time. Before you know it you won't give it a second thought and will probably have made a few "like-minded" workout friends.
    Life begins one step beyond your comfort zone. At least that's what my FB cover page says! LOL
    But seriously, go for it and expect it to be great, and it probably will :-)
    Tammy
    www.facebook.com/coachtammym

Thank you for such an excellent outlook - "Life begins one step beyond your comfort zone". As far as the question about attending workout classes alone my experience is that it can be pretty intimidating and I am a bit of an extrovert. However, I am found some of the nicest and best people at workout classes not to mention getting a good workout. So go for it.
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I like going alone too. If someone is with me, it's kind of distracting. Everyone in my zumba class brobably thinks I'm a bish cause I don't talk to anyone, but I'm not there to socialize! I'm there to sweat! It's my time!
    It's not as bad as you think. Just jump in!
  • fitforlife34
    fitforlife34 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I don't think its wrong to go alone, i ddi it all the time. also, you have that many classes? im jealous, my gym is super lame. And the classes are when I'm at work.
  • RunnerInVT
    RunnerInVT Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I am so shy I only work out at home. I train for 1/2 marathon's on my treadmill in the basement. My kids said I wasn't a real runner until I entered a race and got top 10 in my age class of 65 runners! Do what works for you. I:laugh: :laugh: love my treadmill and bowflex. (My first reply....cant get smiley off!!)
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I go alone. When I look like a drunk chimpanzee in Zumba I just laugh at myself.
  • msdenisec
    Options
    Yes I would go alone. Although I have a steady gym buddy when she isn't able to attend our Zumba class I still go. It's not so bad.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Wow I must be super rude. I go to classes alone but don't talk to anyone. Lol
  • jillian769
    jillian769 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Just go!!!! I went to my first Zumba class with a friend and she didn't like it so after that I always went alone. It's a little intimidating at first, but it's not bad at all, and within a few weeks I knew tons of new people. That will happen to you! Be brave!!! GO AND HAVE FUN!!!:smile:
  • reneecgc
    reneecgc Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You are missing out. The best workouts I get are in a class. Go ahead and take a chance you will get in better shape and might meet a new friend if you keep going to back to the same class. The people who go over and over again to the same class tend
    to become like a family. I don't know there names and that is OK.
  • SlinkyNewMe
    SlinkyNewMe Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Most people in the classes I go to go on their own. However if it is regular class you soon get to recognise familiar faces, so next time you go, you would not be "all alone" but part of a group.
  • moseler
    moseler Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You will never conquer your fear unless you push yourself through the situation. I don't know how you feel... so I can't relate. But, in other areas of my life where I felt insecure, I pushed through and was all the prouder in the end. There is something about proving yourself wrong that is empowering.
  • sharonfincher1
    sharonfincher1 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I started out going to the gym alone, Zumba, kickboxing and step, but after going to the same class a few weeks in a row and seeing the same ppl in class, we would start saying Hello to one another and then I didn't feel like I was taking class by myself.
  • kiannlouise
    kiannlouise Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I felt this way a few years ago too, but now I love going by myself as it's easier to rely on myself & I find I push myself more when I'm in a class without friends/family. I think you just need to go for it & see what happens :-)
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    YEP!! xx
  • AliciaStaton
    AliciaStaton Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Yea I started going to belly dancing on my own, that was 5 years ago and I have made some great friends. It isnt easy but you be fine.
  • BlessedandBeautifulBrown
    Options
    yes I do.. and i have met some really nice people in there.. You can't wait on others to start your jounery , you have to get out there and get it done.. I am so not going to say i related to you bout being shy cause i talk to everybody and I make my own fun..

But at the end of the day when i know i can only account for me and i logged my calories burned i am happy with myself...

Keep your head up and go out and have fun life is to short!!!!!!!!
  • Seriousmom3
    Options
    Well,there's a floor at the gym I go where there are some fitness classes going on including Pilates,Yoga,Kick Box,LeMills c (body combat etc.),Zumba,Dance aerobic etc.

The point is that I am way too shy to go on my own. I would feel so awkward and weird.

What would you do and how to gain more confidence? It's cool when I'm with a group but I get completely shy and stupid when im alone.

I wouldn't go alone...let me know if you do. Maybe it will give me courage to do it. Good Luck!