Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Oatmeal?

I have recently started eating oatmeal in the morning to try and help me lose weight. The old fashioned stove top kind, not the packets. I have been using a little brown sugar to flavor it, but it's still a little bland. Any suggestions?

Replies

• ritasice21
    ritasice21 Posts: 200 Member
    melt a banana in microwave or pan until brown and gooey, add it with a splash of (almond) milk

or add a Tablespoon or 2 of polaner sugar free w/ fiber preserves melted in microwave
  • Agave is a awesome sweetener, cant go wrong with some blueberries as well.
  • JessicaBR0
    JessicaBR0 Posts: 256 Member
    Topping suggestions, blueberries, strawberries, peanut or almond butter, jelly, pecans,walnuts. If you go to katheats.com she has a whole page dedicated to oatmeal. I got a lot of good ideas from her.
  • spinqueen72
    spinqueen72 Posts: 406 Member
    I always add a scoop of vanilla protein powder to mine.
    Today I added some canned pumpkin, and some pumpkin pie spice to it. Tasted exactly like pumpkin pie!

You can get some of that Silk Fruit & Protein juice. I have added a little to my oatmeal before. Wonderful!

I have also made smoothies with a scoop (1/4c) of quick oats, when I haven't had time for a bowl of it.

Vanilla coconut milk is heavenly in oatmeal.
  • live_your_dreams
    live_your_dreams Posts: 13 Member
    My favorit way to eat it is with half a banana, 1 tbps of peanut butter and 1 tsp of cocoa power.

I also eat it with coconut milk and blueberries
  • Arrabindi
    Arrabindi Posts: 169 Member
    I love this blog for inspiration!
    http://theoatmealartist.blogspot.com/

Some of the recipes are a bit on the sugary side, but there's a lot of good and healthy ones as well.
  • reneecgc
    reneecgc Posts: 179 Member
    I always chopped up an apple and boil it with the water. Yumm
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Lots of cinnamon!
  • I know this won't go down well with some people here, but salt. Porridge was cooked with salt for hundreds of years - it's only recently people have started to miss this out, and the result is that it tastes bland and then people pile on the sugar to compensate.

Just add a tiny bit to the pan when you're cooking it, and it brings out all the oaty flavour. You can still add a sweet topping afterwards, but you'll find you need a lot less of it to make it tasty.
  • tannyasawyer
    tannyasawyer Posts: 106 Member
    Lots of cinnamon!

^^ This.

Or maybe a few chocolate/peanut butter drops just to liven things up a bit.

Or berries (raspberries are good, mmm...)
  • mareed123
    mareed123 Posts: 85 Member
    sliced banana and cinnamon :)
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    I put craisins and almonds!
  • tannyasawyer
    tannyasawyer Posts: 106 Member
    I know this won't go down well with some people here, but salt. Porridge was cooked with salt for hundreds of years - it's only recently people have started to miss this out, and the result is that it tastes bland.

Just add a tiny bit to the pan when you're cooking it, and it brings out all the oaty flavour. You can still add a sweet topping afterwards, but you'll find you need a lot less of it to make it tasty.

Agreed! You only need a very small amount - a little goes a long way, but really does take the bland taste away. True for most sweet things, IMO...
  • ang3h
    ang3h Posts: 185 Member
    Bake it. I have baked oatmeal every morning, I throw some chocolate chips in and it's like a giant cookie.

All you need is

1/2 cup oats
    1/4 teaspoon baking powder
    sweetener (I usually do a tablespoon of Stevia in the raw)
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup milk
    2 tablespoons applesauce
    1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix it all up, put it in a small oven-safe bowl or ramekin, and bake at 375 for 20 minutes then broil for 3 minutes. It's crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. You can use pumpkin instead of the applesauce and add pumpkin pie spice and it'll taste just like pumpkin pie! I add a tablespoon of PB2 to mine usually and a handful of chocolate chips and often use 1/3 of a mashed banana instead of the applesauce.. but it's a very versatile recipe, you can do whatever you want really!
  • I like Cinnamon in mine... but I have also tried AppleButter mixed in with it and it was really good and not bland at all. :)
  • I have oatmeal every morning - you can put just about anything in it. Sometimes I use raisins and unsalted nuts (usually pecans or walnuts). Usually I put peanut butter in it (cuz it's a GREAT way to stretch peanut butter, which i love) with a little apple pie spice. I like it with honey, and I've used agave nectar, both really good. Back when I was anorexic (I'm not anymore, praise the Lord!) and I was terrified of calories I"d use equal to sweeten it. Long story short, you can use pretty much anything you want depending on how many calories you want your breakfast to be, or not be.
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Like everyone said, banana is a great idea. I always do lots of cinnamon. I also use a tablespoon or two of unsweetened apple sauce.
  • SandieM7
    SandieM7 Posts: 47 Member
    I always add a little fruit...make it using milk not water which helps tremendously and the real secret for me is I add 1 Tbsp. of sugar free french vanilla coffee creamer....makes it so creamy and delicious - so worth the 15 calories.
  • I like overnight oats made with Coconut or Almond Milk...You can add any fruits or flavors that you like.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Instead of water, I make it with almond milk and add a little peanut butter and honey. Creamy goodness! :drinker: