Would you go to a fitness class all alone?

Options
124»

Replies

• RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    It's not gonna be easy, but go alone. I've learned how to pretty much go everywhere alone since I decided to stay single for a while. It sucked at first but I'm used to it and it don't bother me. There are other beginners there too...just line yourself up next to the person with the worst form and you'll feel better! lol

I work out at home b/c I was always too terrified to go to the gym back when I was married and used to having someone with me everywhere I went. Your question got me thinking I should do it too now that I'm comfortable even eating out alone...
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I go to some classes on my own. There's one my friends don't want to go to/ haven't got time to do, and when I'm away from home I find all sorts of classes and go on my own. It's a good way of checking out different styles so you can find one or more that you like.

My tip would be to get there about 5 minutes early so that you can say hello to the instructor & they can check you out for possible injuries/ previous experience of that type of class & let you know what to expect if it's one you haven't done before. Then place yourself near the back but where you can still see the instructor. Smile if anyone makes eye contact, but remember that they're there to exercise so aren't concentrating on you.
    Relax - at least you're moving and burning calories!
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    I find it a bit annoying having people with me cos Im waiting for them or them for me ect Id much rather do my own thing!
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I'd rather go alone, I'd feel more self conscious in front of people I know and wouldn't feel able to be myself and get on with it. I wouldn't care what strangers think, and by the time they were regular faces I'd have already exercised in front of them several times so it wouldn't matter :smile:
  • Jac118
    Options
    I always go alone - and you won't be the only one going alone. I usually just say hi to the instructor and let them know I'm new if I am. I go to Salsa dance classes alone as well. Actually, I do most things alone lol.
  • Mrshunts
    Mrshunts Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I go to zumba class twice a week all alone.......and I love it!
  • madmish00
    Options
    I always go to classes on my own. I am now friends with all the class regulars and it is really fun.

I find I get much more work done in a class that if I go to the gym as I get into the mindset that if other people are still going I can't stop no matter how tired I am. In the gym I would just stop when the going got tough.

Go for it. You won't be the only person on your own and you will make friends with people if you go to the same classes
  • jesilva80
    jesilva80 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I was nervous at first too, but I just went , stayed toward the back and did well, now I know a few folks from going often, and Im up front. I see some new people come in and introduce them selves to the instructor, good idea if its a class with equipment. you have never used before. You can do this, walk in there, find a spot and follow along, it will be fun,
  • Staceychanges94
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I needed some motivation. You,shy people know how it feels anyway.
    Keep the answers coming if you wanna say something and feel free to add me as a friend of course :)
  • okinmaine
    okinmaine Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Go!Go!Go! I do know exactly how you feel. I NEVER considered myself coordinated or anything even close....one of the "trip on a blade of grass" types. Over a year ago I went to a Zumba class all alone, scared to death that I was going to make a fool of myself and thought everyone was going to be looking at me. It was one of the BEST decisions I have EVER made. I am completely addicted and have made a bunch of new friends. The truth is.....NO ONE is looking at you. They are ALL watching the instructor to make sure they are doing the right thing because they don't want to look ridiculous either! HUGS! YOU CAN DO IT!!
  • charlottelouise12345
    Options
    I'm sure people have already said this, but once you've gone by yourself a few times it's easy :) just force yourself to do it the first time and then you wont even think about it! I used to hate going by myself but now I prefer it!. The only bad thing is its easier to put off doing a class or forget to go if your not meeting anyone there :p
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Well,there's a floor at the gym I go where there are some fitness classes going on including Pilates,Yoga,Kick Box,LeMills c (body combat etc.),Zumba,Dance aerobic etc.

The point is that I am way too shy to go on my own. I would feel so awkward and weird.

What would you do and how to gain more confidence? It's cool when I'm with a group but I get completely shy and stupid when im alone.

I do. I go to Zumba all the time. There's an occasional guy or 2 in the class but for the most part it's just me and 20-30 other women. I am shy too even though if you saw me that would be the last thing you'd probably think. 300+ lb. 6'3 man that's built like a linebacker. Ultimately what helped me was my desire. To improve my health, fitness and lose weight was stronger than my feelings of shyness.
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    I have a wonderful gym partner who comes with me to the classes, but I have no problems going on my own to most of them. Spinning I'm on my own anyway, with or without her, so it's no big thang there. Yoga you have to be quiet, so it's almost easier to go alone otherwise we end up giggling halfway through because *something* happens :p. The only class I have a real issue going to by myself is zumba. I practically need to be dragged there. I'm not a big dancer (unless it's in my shower), so doing zumba moves just feels awkward to me. Having her there makes me relaxed a bit more and willing to look more like a goofball. :p
  • BenChase
    Options
    i am shy at first too, i wanted to go to a bootcamp class really badly but refused to go by myself, i finally talked a co-worker into going with me, after that first time of akwardness i went back every time by myself with no problem, i just needed to "break the ice" with this something that was new to me, i had never went to any kind of class like that before, and now just months later i am helping teach that bootcamp. just force yourself to go once, and if you don't like it you never have to go and see any of those people ever again, but i'd be willing to bet you will love it! :smile: