Fun cardio exercises?

Options
I"m going hard at exercise lately. But I was wondering if anyone knows of anything else to do besides treadmill, eliptical, etc. I get bored of it.

Right now the classes at the gym are during my work hours, and there are very few anyway. I love outdoors, like biking hiking, etc and I love dancing. I'm thinking about going to some dance classes, like hop hop. I also went hiking but it costs money to go to the state park, otherwise I"d be trail running a lot. Plus we are in WA state and in a month it will be rainy. lol. So outdoor activities might consist to a gym doing boring machines.

Anyone have any suggestions? I put the ideas I have.

Replies

• pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I've been working out steadily for a year now and never touch a cardio machine, that is way too boring for me and I would give up in a minute! I like dancing too, I do hoop dancing (with a hula hoop), tap dancing or just jam to music or a dance DVD. There are some great free dance lessons on youtube also. I also do a short walk or bike ride most days, more to clear my head than anything but it's a great extra mini-workout for me. I also love yoga and have a nice selection of dvds for that now.

I usually do 2-3 mini workouts a day instead of one long one because it fits in my schedule and keeps me from getting bored by always doing something different.

In WA I'd get outside now while it's nice though, it is so beautiful out there! :)
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I did this one yesterday - kicked 'my' butt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM4DQ-0Vjnk&feature=share
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I get amazing workouts from classes. Can you go to a different gym that has classes when you're not working? I find the peer pressure helps me to work my buns off :D

Also, for years I took kickboxing training... amazing workouts. Highly recommend it or any traditional martial art. You could look for something in your area like karate, jiu-jitsu or capoeira for something different.
  • sitinthehall
    Options
    Zumba! Or if you're looking for more home-based workouts, buy a Kinect for Xbox. Dance Central is a blast.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    kayak, biking, roller blading, basketball, tennis, some ultimate Frisbee, make up a new game?
  • turboturtlepower
    Options
    Uphill sprints...or hows about some parkour?
  • jeninne
    jeninne Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    If you wanted to invest the money, I love TurboFire, Tae Bo, Cathe Friedrich's workouts, Amy Bento...i guess you could youtube these and check them out.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Treadmill IS boring. Go run outside.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I do dance central but am confused about the calories burned. on dance central it says I burn about 100 calories for 30 mins, I put into MFP and it counts for almost 300! I admit, I love being able to eat my calories back, lol so I use the MFP calorie credit.
  • spinqueen72
    spinqueen72 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS wear a Heart Rate Monitor with chest strap (Polar FT4) to get EXACT calories burned.

Anyways.........Just Dance for Wii is my go-to for the exercise "rut".
    I also have 4.5 lb weighted hula hoops.
  • spinqueen72
    spinqueen72 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I do dance central but am confused about the calories burned. on dance central it says I burn about 100 calories for 30 mins, I put into MFP and it counts for almost 300! I admit, I love being able to eat my calories back, lol so I use the MFP calorie credit.

I hate to say this...but MFP calorie counts are WAY off.
    You need to invest in a HRM (heart rate monitor) with a chest strap to get ACTUAL calories burned. I used to do the same as you, but found that I was over-calculating, and eventually over-eating.
    I have a Polar FT4 that I got from Best Buy. It was around $110. Best purchase ever..besides my food scale!
    Trust me...you'll be better off with a HRM, than just going by MFP's guesses.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options

I hate to say this...but MFP calorie counts are WAY off.
    You need to invest in a HRM (heart rate monitor) with a chest strap to get ACTUAL calories burned. I used to do the same as you, but found that I was over-calculating, and eventually over-eating.
    I have a Polar FT4 that I got from Best Buy. It was around $110. Best purchase ever..besides my food scale!
    Trust me...you'll be better off with a HRM, than just going by MFP's guesses.
    BEST HRM SITE!!!!!! cheap and free shipping ,,, i own a polar ft7,,, easy to use and works great!
    http://www.heartratemonitorsusa.com/
  • fitforlife34
    fitforlife34 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Great ideas! The whole dance classes sounds interesting, but I've do ne Zumba and never got into it. But yeah, MFP does show more calories burned than what you actually burn. I've been told by others to eat less to compensate it possibly being off.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Treadmill IS boring. Go run outside.

lol that too ^^
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    run outside. hiking. biking. roller blading. hula hooping. go out dancing. basketball. walk. you could buy a DVD like turbo jam or something like that. if you have a wii play that dance game. lots of things you can do.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Zumba is some of the most fun I've ever had exercising.
  • soccer482chic
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM4DQ-0Vjnk&feature=share Thanks to the person that posted this earlier - Definitely a workout!! Thanks!
    I also do exercise videos on hulu plus.
  • zzrick
    zzrick Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Tae Kwon Do is a lot of fun, and it is a very intense workout.