OMG I can still run...go figure!

Options
So all of a sudden today while on my walk I just felt like a filly just let out of the fence and had to take off and run. I am 50 years old and thought I'd better do this on the dead end in case I fall on my face..at least there will be less people to see me. I DID IT! I ran..yeah it wasn't very long...maybe 1/4 a mile...but I RAN people...this is a HUGE thing for me!

Replies

• amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Congratulations!
    It is a great feeling, isn't it?
  • EdgyMcSterious
    Options
    Sweet! Be careful, listen to your body, take it slow but KEEP RUNNING!
  • tsegears
    Options
    Good for you! I started jogging after my mother past away in 2000 and I ran up until I got married in 2001. For whatever reasons, I stopped running. I tried to start again several times, but failed miserbly. Last year, I joined a run club and started out very slowly. We concluded the walk/run program with a 5K graduation race. I continued to run and then I joined an 8k program. I ran in a couple 5K races before I ran in the 8K graduation race. I was so inspired that I registered for at 10K race. I completed that race and race in another 10K a couple months later. I am 55 years old and I really enjoy running. Funny, I prefer to run in the cooler weather rather than the hot weather. I have not run much during the summer, so I will have to start off slow when I get back out there, but I know the minute I get back in the open air, I will keep on running.

Good Luck with your running!

13107194.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    thanks guys...I figure if I just ease into it...maybe these short burst while I'm walking...and take it nice and slow...but as I'm sitting here looking out my window I'm wanting to go back out and do it again!
  • StefPayne
    StefPayne Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! I think that is awesome!! Keep it up, sounds like you are going to really enjoy it and I am very happy for you!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    If you want to make it a habit and build up slowly, try the Couch to 5k program, or c25K. Took me from a non-runner to running a 5K in 9 weeks. Builds you up slowly, alternating between running & walking, 3 days a week. Made a runner out of me! Google the program, and if you've got a smartphone, there are lots of apps you can download for it, gives you all the prompts of each day's program so you don't have to watch a clock. I used c25KFREE by Zeb Labs.

Congrats on your run today! :bigsmile: