Any Reformed Weight Watchers people?

Options

Replies

• BBeccaJean
    BBeccaJean Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I've done WW three times. I tried to go back 3 weeks after I had my son, but it didn't work regardless of what I did. Now I'm working on getting back to low carb, because that's the only thing my body responds to! It's quality of food for me!
  • fitmommy75
    fitmommy75 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I started WW after my son was born. Two years later my daughter was born and I continued with WW. I didn't lose much weight at all even though I tracked everything. The points frustrated the heck out of me because it doesn't seem real. So, in 2010 I decided to do my own thing and join a free online weight tracker. Best thing I ever did for myself :)
  • sasarafo
    Options
    I have done WW several times over the last 10 or more years. I would lose the weight, get annoyed or fed up keeping track of points and gain it all back again.

Came here at the end of April...heading towards 60lbs lost since then (I lost 10lbs before I started tracking weight on here). I was never even close to having that kind of success with WW.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I did WW for about 4 months and lost 15 pounds but I always felt like I was literally STARVING... But with MFP I feel full AND I usually have some calories left over :)
  • Count me in. Weight Watchers was frustrating for me. I like this site much better and so far I have lost three pounds.
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I did WW and have lost over 50 pounds, but I have hit a plateau and am now doing MFP. The scale is starting to move again, as I think there is a over all better idea of where my calories are from both food and exercise.
  • peanuttyist
    Options
    I have done WW a gizzilion times....worked for awhile and then I would crash.Been with this for a few days and I am loving it !! I like that the database is huge...I can scan an item on my phone...I can carry it anywhere my phone goes...most of all I love that I can see what is working and where I need to improve...such as with nutrition...it keeps me balanced. I need to lose at least 100# and I seriously think I can do it with MFP....just have to figure out message board thing...:))))
  • lizmannn
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! I lost 3 stone with the new plan though, I just stayed stagnant for the last 12 months, even though I want to lose another stone. So I think my weight watchers journey is over. Cancelled my (dusty) subscription this evening. Scary! :)
  • lmkotch
    lmkotch Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have spent so much money on WW -- it's phenomenal. I wish I'd discovered MFP sooner. One of my problems while being on WW is that I always felt like I not only needed to conserve my points but also eat to the full extent that the point allowed (for example 1 TB of Cool Whip may be the same point value as 4 TB, so why not eat 4?). Also, WW not only sells but promotes processed foods. There's no emphasis on clean eating -- it's all about how to keep your point value low. And since the new program where fruits and veggies were "free," I'd had a really hard time losing. Could it have been because I was eating 3 bananas a day, apples, grapes, pineapple... anytime I wanted to eat, I'd eat fruit. I suppose no one got fat from eating a ton of bananas but I doubt 300 extra calories a day is helping anyone lose.

Plus the meetings became a place of confession. Women would admit to over-indulging for a few days, and now they were feeling incredibly guilty about it. Then everyone else would have to step in and soothe them and say "It's no big deal" without ever really looking at what caused the binge in the first place.

Wow, I didn't realize how much disdain I had for WW!
  • wealthygirl
    wealthygirl Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Count me among the former WW members who couldn't get used to the new point system AND I only lost 4 lbs. in two months!! :sad: For me, "free" foods ended up costing me (on the scale). Created a DIY program and started exercising more and eating smaller portions last Sept. I focused only on losing 5lbs/month...fast forward to a year later and I'm down 45lbs. :smile: I just joined MFP and I'm ready to finish what I've started. Awesome apps, great community, and it's FREE!!!!
  • AprilFoolGirl
    AprilFoolGirl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Many of my co-workers have had success on weight watchers but it just seemed too complicated to me. Someone recommended MFP said it was free, so I gave it a try. No WW for me an MFP girl all the way.
  • simquilts2
    simquilts2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am new here (day 2) still working my way around the site. I have been with WW for several years, was doing well until they changed to the PP system; it's not working for me. So far, I like this and if I lose weight this week, will drop out of WW. This site certainly offers a lot; I really like the nutritional tracking and info, as well as the great food and exercise tracking.
  • DoxieMama70
    DoxieMama70 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have also done WW on and off for the last 14 years with varying degrees of success. There are some good things about the program, and it really depends on the leader, meetings, etc. that you go to as to how well you like the set up.

I realize they have had to evolve the program over the years to try and keep up with weight loss trends (low carb, etc) but the result is that the program has gotten more complicated. I think they have also changed up the program because there were people losing weight eating nothing but fat free popcorn and drinking diet coke and staying within their "points."

I just find this site to be very simple and effective. I am not knocking WW because it did work for me at times, but I'd find myself skipping meetings because I knew I wouldn't have a good weigh-in and then I'd get frustrated and stop going altogether. Here, I feel like I can have a bad day, and then move on. It also helps to have so much encouragement and to be able to find people with my same personal challenges.

Also, the food/restaurant database on this site is HUGE! I have searched for some of the most random brand name foods and they always pop right up and I can add them and be done. The WW database is very limited to me. I always wound up having to figure out a lot of the food values myself. I found their mobile site to be very complicated to use.
  • ashsmile78
    ashsmile78 Posts: 3,528 Member
    Options
    I have done ww a few times and was most successful a few years in 2008. I lost 24 lbs. I went on vacation and it threw me off and i just couldn't get back into it again. I ended up gaining all my weight back even though i was still attending meetings every week. It worked for me when i followed it. Well, the old points did. I tried points plus but i didn't lose much at all so i started looking for something else. I am really happy that i found mfp about a year and a half ago. I have lost 38 lbs since last january. Btw feel free to add me. I am always lookig for new friends!

Ashley
  • joann1948
    joann1948 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I did WW several times, and I lost over 130 lbs but gained it back. Since being here I have lost 80 lbs and kept it off for almost a year. This website is wonderful. I will add u as a friend.....Joann:drinker:
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I am reformed from all of these diets:

Low fat high carb
    Slim-Fast
    Weight Watchers
    Atkins
    Organic
    Weston Price Diet
    The Schwarzbein Principle
    Eat Fat Lose Fat
    The Ultimate PH Solution
    The Makers Diet
    A friends diet from a personal trainer/dietician

It took me 15 years to learn that all that matters is calories. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout
  • kristidem
    kristidem Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Me! I successfully lost 45 pounds on WW and didn't want to keep paying for the program once I was maintaining. A friend turned me on to MFP. I did both in parallel for a while and eventually dropped WW. I maintained for a good long time, then over the last year have lost some will power and gained 10 again. So now trying to lose again. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • holly1007
    holly1007 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I lost weight before I got married on the old weight watchers plan, loved it! After pregnancies etc...have gained back plus some...but have found it very difficult to use the new points plus system...so I"m here on MFP counting my calories for now and hoping this will work for me...so I hear ya!
  • ribena1958
    Options
    I follow WW, I don't go to meetings and neither do I pay for online. I work my WW PP alongside my calories
  • dlkamp82
    dlkamp82 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I started WW in January and lost 30 pounds. Then I quit loosing weight. I had leave 2 of my daily points each day to loose any weight (not touching the weekly points). I thought with the old point system there was a drop of points every so often when you got to a certain weight. So I decided I would be better off counting calories. I found MFP. I'm still a newbie.