Turkey Bacon

Options
I've only tried turkey bacon once--and didn't like it at all. I'm thinking I should give it a second chance though. This may sound silly, but I don't know much about the stuff. Do different brands taste different/better or do they, for the most part, all taste the same? If they do taste different, what brand do you like?

Replies

• holly1007
    holly1007 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I love turkey bacon, and love Butterballs. Ive tried a few others and hated them, Butterball was the one that stuck with me.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    turkey bacon is heavily processed. get the real stuff. more fat per serving but thats not a bad thing if you budget your macros right.
  • tikafly
    tikafly Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Yes, different brands do have different textures and flavorings. The only brand of turkey bacon I like is Butterball. Additionally, it must be cooked very crispy to make it more bacon-like.
  • GypsysBloodRose26
    GypsysBloodRose26 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    turkey bacon is heavily processed. get the real stuff. more fat per serving but thats not a bad thing if you budget your macros right.

This.
  • nsalerno90
    Options

I would agree -- my family hates turkey bacon and I would much rather allow for less of the real thing. I can substitute turkey for a lot of things but this just isn't it.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options

This.

super true.

I despise pork and cannot stand the taste in any form, so I have been eating turkey bacon. Good to see that it is processed too much, I will stop buying it. I didn't like it too much anyhow. Just wanted to appease the bacon gods. :laugh:
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    its not bacon.

Have the real thing if you need it... its not that bad calorie wise!
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I would just grab a low fat pork bacon. It has less calories than turkey bacon and tastes the same as full fat bacon.
  • DonaA123
    DonaA123 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    its not bacon.

Have the real thing if you need it... its not that bad calorie wise!
    ^^ this ^^
  • Mommagoose4
    Mommagoose4 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Butterball low sodium is my fav. Everyone in my family says it tastes like rubber but I can't stand to eat real bacon & all the fat on it. Makes me gag.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I like turkey Bacon. We buy the Oscar Meyer one from Costco.

It, by no means, tastes as good as PORK. But we have grown to like it.
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    It's possible the OP doesn't eat pork (this was me growing up, and most of my family still doesn't eat pork) so real bacon may not be an option.

I personally enjoy smoked turkey breast for breakfast. I buy a whole one, slice it and brown/heat it quickly and serve it with my eggs. Doesn't have the "bacon" feel, but it's a great addition to the plate...
  • Erin5381
    Erin5381 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Turkey Bacon is yummy!! I love when my BF cooks is a little crispy!! MMMMM!!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    In the UK we get 'bacon medallions' which tend to be pretty low in fat.
  • imwithgizmo
    imwithgizmo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Personally, it didn't appeal to me when I saw it in the store. Looked processed, ground up and reassembled or something like that. I know a few folks who really like it though. Not for me.
  • EmilyTwist1
    EmilyTwist1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    If you can find it, you might want to try chicken bacon. I find that the taste is very similar to real bacon. It also gets crispier than turkey bacon.
  • imwithgizmo
    imwithgizmo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I personally enjoy smoked turkey breast for breakfast. I buy a whole one, slice it and brown/heat it quickly and serve it with my eggs. Doesn't have the "bacon" feel, but it's a great addition to the plate...

^^This sound really good!
  • utahgirl247
    utahgirl247 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    i have to admit that i am not a fan of turkey bacon.
  • dbevisjr
    Options
    I buy Applegate Naturals turkey bacon. Ingredients: turkey, water, less than 2% of sea salt, celery powder, maple sugar, onion powder, spices. That's it. No casein, no gluten, no antibiotics, no animal byproducts, no nitrites, no nitrates. Made from whole thigh meat and retains the meat texture. NOT pulverized into powdered turkey scraps and pressed into a slab like most turkey bacon.

Per slice (about 1oz)
    Cals- 35
    Total Fat- 1.5g
    Cholesterol- 25mg
    Sodium- 200mg
    Protein- 6g
    Carbs- 0g

And it is delicious.
  • melly7171
    melly7171 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    We dont have turkey bacon here in Aus that i have seen..i just eat the real thing, limit it to a 50g serve with a poached egg then off to the gym!