Help make my banana bread recipe healthier and low-cal?

Options
sarahahum
sarahahum Posts: 24 Member
My boyfriend is a banana bread destroying machine lately, and I admit I do make a darn fine one. Unfortunately, whenever I make it for him I eat it too, and as it is it's about 270 cals for 1/8 of the loaf.

Do you lovely people know of any ways I could reduce or replace some of these ingredients to make it healthier and lower cal while still delicious?

2 very ripe bananas
1 cup white granulated sugar
1 1/3 cups white all-purpose flour
1/3 cup butter
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking soda
dash of salt
dash of cinnamon

Thanks!

Replies

• jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Well I will give you the adaptations that we have used in our house and ours has won some awards at the university nearby.

Replace white sugar with a combination of Splena/Stevia (.5 cup) and Sugar in the Raw/Turbinado (.5 cup). If you don't like sweetner you can just do 3/4 cup Turbinado.

White flour replace wheat fluor. You can also replace a 1/2 cup with 1/2 cup oats.

Remove the butter but increase the banans to 3-4 bananas mashed up and ripe. Trust me you don't miss butte.r

Replace egg with 1/4 cup egg substitute.

And the rest is good. Should save you calories and fat :)
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Use smart balance or something equivalent than butter
  • babykanguruh
    Options
    Instead of butter, use applesauce. You won't miss the difference! Instead of 1 cup sugar, use 1/2-3/4 cup honey. Enjoy!!!
  • NavyWife8396
    NavyWife8396 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You can use unsweetened applesauce in place of the butter or you can use plain greek yogurt. Even just replacing some of the fat will help!
  • Masq
    Masq Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Third suggestion for applesauce instead of butter. :smile:
  • jms3533
    jms3533 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Bump for modified recipe. Thanks!