Bad foods 'in moderation' IIFYM

Options
"You can have anything as long as it's in moderation"

"You can eat anything as long as you meet your micronutrient and macronutrient goals"

Seriously?

Imagine sitting in front of the TV watching your favorite program and you are allowed to have 12 pieces of potato chips and 3 cookies.... You eat the food and tell yourself it's enough, but you are sitting there with all the residue of the chips and cookies in your mouth and while looking back in the kitchen you see the box of cookies looking right back at you.

Doing this is gonna have you hungry in 45 minutes...

Sure there are people who can do this, but I never understood eating bad foods 'in moderation.' It's like telling an alcoholic to just have one drink at night and telling him he will be OK when in reality, most alcoholics won't be able to do it.

Replies

• Krisstah
    Krisstah Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    not everyone here is addicted to food, and its up to that person to decide if they can just have a treat and stop
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    To some people having a cookie will keep them from wanting the whole box. I am one of them people. I have had ice cream almost everyday since i started on MFP, it keeps me focused. this is forever and you have to be able to live like this for the rest of your life. If i have a skinny cow ice cream sandwich it keeps me from wanting a pint of Ben and Jerrys, Everything in moderation is a great principle
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Meh, I manage it fine. Since I've made changes to my diet and overall lifestyle, I've realised I didn't need to eat anywhere near the amount I was eating at my biggest. It's important to realise when you're actually hungry and when you really just want to eat because you're bored or sad or whatever. If hunger isn't the problem, food isn't the solution.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    not everyone here is addicted to food, and its up to that person to decide if they can just have a treat and stop

Agreed.

Went to a wedding reception yesterday and ate ****loads of food. I don't fancy any cake today.

Mind you, if someone offered me some, I'd accept. I'd just log it.

Seriously, though, my food diary isn't angelic. It's not terrible, though.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Self control. Takes a while for some, but it is a good trait to have.

I think IIFYM is awesome. I eat healthy 80% of the time, and eat some junk in there too.
    Tailgating i'll have a burger and a few beers
    Going out to eat with my friends
    Having some food served at a party
    Eating ice cream with my girlfriends on the weekends

All times where IIFYM is the best. Healthy relationship with food!
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    To some people having a cookie will keep them from wanting the whole box. I am one of them people. I have had ice cream almost everyday since i started on MFP, it keeps me focused. this is forever and you have to be able to live like this for the rest of your life. If i have a skinny cow ice cream sandwich it keeps me from wanting a pint of Ben and Jerrys, Everything in moderation is a great principle

I agree with this. I used to over restrict. I would do fine for like 2 weeks, then binge binge binge because I felt miserable. A little treat keeps me happy. Since fruit does not get rid of my sweet tooth :P
  • RoughDiamondUK
    RoughDiamondUK Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    If you buy the smallest bag of crisps (chips) -- here the smallest is 25 grams -- or the smallest bar of chocolate, which here is about 50 grams, then it's easy to fit into a daily total, as the crisps would be approx 130 cals and the chocolate 175 - 250 cals (depending on the brand and exact weight). Buying a HUGE bag of crisps and trying to limit to a small portion would be harder I agree, but it's easier to do if you only buy the smallest size and only one at a time.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options

This. We got fro yo last night with all kinds of toppings which are not healthy...but we only ate half of the portion at once and only get it AT MOST once a week. It all depends on your individual relationship with food.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    it's a mantra here. many have the theory that if you dont eat some junk food (in moderation) then you are doing the most terrible thing in the world... "DEPRIVING YOURSELF"

feeling "deprived" is a self induced mind set. It's easier to justify eating crap with this false premise

You are not "deprived" unless you want to be. Your body doesnt need that crap and if you abstain for a short time, you will lose the cravings for whatever it is you think you just have to have.
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    Another thing, I advise people who've been eating all sorts of junk and want to get healthier/fitter that they should cut down rather than cut out. Just going from 2000 calories a day of crap to eating lettuce and lentils is going to have the cravings driving you mad; you'll survive the diet for a week or so, then go kerazy and eat back all the hard work. Good old yoyo dieting at its best.
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options

I agree with this. I used to over restrict. I would do fine for like 2 weeks, then binge binge binge because I felt miserable. A little treat keeps me happy. Since fruit does not get rid of my sweet tooth :P

I agree with this too. If I have an Alpen cereal bar or something with my lunch, I'm way less likely to binge on chocolate. I used to go through days of eating barely anything, then completely pig out because I was starving.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I bought a bag of Snicker's minis yesterday. I had two, for a total of 85 calories. It's about 4% of my daily calorie goal. The rest of the bag is in my pantry. It's not calling me, tempting me or taunting me. It's just there.

Why would that make me hungry in 45 minutes? I'm completely satisfied with the amount and kinds of foods I eat. I'm only hungry when it's time for a meal or snack, and then I eat a meal or snack. If you're constantly ravenously hungry, something's wrong. Either you're not eating enough, or you have a tapeworm.
  • kdfulgham
    kdfulgham Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am with you! It seems once I start having "sweet treats" I want them all of the time, and a habit has been formed. i.e. McDonald's ice cream cones!
  • darrensurrey
    Options
    or you have a tapeworm.

:idea: Could I sell tapeworms as the NEW EASY DIET SYSTEM! Diet worms, I'll call them. Eat as much as you want, lose weight.
  • mamaward64
    mamaward64 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist/dietician said in group there is not bad foods. It's not the food that makes you fat it's how much you eat of it in abundance that does. It is up to you to decide whether you want that food or not. For example I was in the store grabbing a couple items for dinner when I ran across a candy bar that caught my attention. I said to myself as much as I like it, I don't want it right now and I walked on. That was extremely hard for me but it just takes mindful eating practices to get through this.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Imagine sitting in front of the TV watching your favorite program and you are allowed to have 12 pieces of potato chips and 3 cookies.... You eat the food and tell yourself it's enough, but you are sitting there with all the residue of the chips and cookies in your mouth and while looking back in the kitchen you see the box of cookies looking right back at you.

If you buy small bags of chips, or if you divide a big bag of chips into separate small containers, it's possible and quite manageable. You allocate one bag/box for each day. I imagine something similar is possible with cookies - I rarely eat cookies, and when I do, I find them too sweet to want a second one.

Of course you're going to be hungry if that's all you eat, but if you're also eating healthy, nutritious meals, then hunger is less likely. Snacks are not intended to fill you up in themselves. If I eat a mid-morning snack at work, then in an hour's time it's lunch time anyway.

If you eat sitting in front of the TV, then it's easy to eat mindlessly, so you may well over-indulge in whatever you give yourself. A big bowl of pan-popped popcorn is always fun! :-)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    or you have a tapeworm.

:idea: Could I sell tapeworms as the NEW EASY DIET SYSTEM! Diet worms, I'll call them. Eat as much as you want, lose weight.

I bet even if you told people they could lose weight by tongue-bathing a flea ridden dog, there'd be people signing up for it. :huh:
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, i've heard of this interesting concept about moderation, now lets distort it by talking about alcoholics.
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    "You can have anything as long as it's in moderation"

"You can eat anything as long as you meet your micronutrient and macronutrient goals"

Seriously?

Sure there are people who can do this, but I never understood eating bad foods 'in moderation.' It's like telling an alcoholic to just have one drink at night and telling him he will be OK when in reality, most alcoholics won't be able to do it.

I eat "bad food" in moderation. I buy single serving "bad foods" like the single serving Ben & Jerry's icecream cups for 250 calories. Or M&M's. I've been on maintenance for 14 years so I know what I can have in the house and what I can't. And if my husband brings home Doritos or something, I can have a handful and put the bag away. The only thing that is really tempting to me is having a gallon of icecream in the freezer or when he brings me a large blizzard! I normally eat it all and move on :)
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Is this even a serious post? So the alternative is to never eat those foods again? Or once you're "off your diet?"