Newbie from Hampshire UK!

Options
Hello there

I am in my early 30's and live near Winchester, Hampshire.

I have always been a largish girl..apart from a brief time when I was a student and lived pretty much on a liquid diet! :oP But to be honest was never concerned with my size in the past..in fact I would try and take on the funny Dawn French style personality, jolly, fricken funny and focussed on my career more than anything. :tongue:

Recently I found a lump on my neck and was diagnosed as having Thyroid problems which is being monitered. I have been told at some point I may have to have my Thyroid removed ( probably in my 40s ) and a fear just came over me. I panicked because I am a large girl anyway ( size 20 uk / 18 US ) and if this was to happen..how big will I get on top of my exisiting wieght????? :sad:

For the first time in years, I looked in the mirror and saw a problem rather than a funny girl. I think this is the wake up call I needed and realising the damaging effect my lifestyle has done to me. I need to loose about 4 stone. :ohwell:

If anyone else out there from the UK is looking for swapping food diaries and ideas and tips ect..please add me as a friend. I need some inspiration! :smile:

Replies

• cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Hi from Chichester, New Hampshire USA! I'm not from the UK but friend me if you want :)
  • nicdilor
    Options
    Welcome to MFP !!!! , I am not from the UK, but love to give support back. I've been having thyroid problems for the past 5 years, and finally got it under control about a year ago, I might have to get it removed later, but for now, trying to get back to my size and healthy lifestyle, I'm half way there, so it's definitely not imposible. If you'd like to add me, would be nice to exchange some tips and motivation, good luck on this great start :) !!!!
  • LDragonfly1980
    LDragonfly1980 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Well..probably unlike most Brits, I do understand American foods as my husband is Californian living with me here in the UK :happy:
  • maro_p
    maro_p Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hello from London! I am not overweight but have always been on the largest part of average. I have been diagnosed with PCOS years ago so trying to shed these extra 10kgs has been a struggle. Now trying MFP and hopefully even if I do not lose weight it will help me have a balanced and healthy diet at least.

Diary is open, feel free to add me :-)
  • littlebuddy84
    littlebuddy84 Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me :-)
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm just down the coast in Worthing :) I relate to everything you have said except I have 10 years and two chldrens worth of body abuse over you ;)
    Friend request me and have a look at what I am doing, I have actually found this really easy to do - Logging is a pain for the first few days but then becomes second nature, the exercise is just a case of doing it no matter what - I so didn't want to run at 6.45 this morning but I did it and am so glad I did as the rest of the day is mine to play with!
    Remember - you dont have to give up the good stuff, just factor it in and moderate it!
    Welcome to the first day of the healthy new you, we are all here to help :)
  • jaajh
    jaajh Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Hi! You say near Winchester ... where exactly? I am (originally) from Alton, Hampshire - about 1/2 an hour from Winchester along the A31 towards Farnham/Guildford. HOWEVER, although my parents still live there, I now (and for the past 16 years) live in Mali, West Africa (a bit of a change!) Alton is still "home" for me though and where we go back to every time we visit the UK.

Would love to be friends on here, so add me if you want. My food diaries are a mixture of food that I bring back from the UK or get sent my family and friends, and Malian foods too.

MFP has helped me loads. The encouragement I get from friends here has been great. I hope you find the same to be true.
  • emlilplum
    Options
    Im from Northampton in the Uk, feel free to add me :o)
  • Florawanda
    Florawanda Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Welcome on board to this great site... I will send a friend request to you, my diary is open, and I try and find time to give what support I can... I will probably nag you about your 5-a-day, as I struggle to get them all in!!
    I am about 30 miles south of you, and if you go onto the Groups site, you can search for groups of people who have similar ages, locations - so there is a Team UK group, and a Portsmouth group. And there are certainly some message threads about thyroid problems - I have to take my little pill every day of levothyroxine!
    Will look forward to getting to know you over the months ahead!
  • LDragonfly1980
    LDragonfly1980 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Its such an eye opener this site! What a great concept.

I am currently creating my next shopping list to be more "healthy" in two weeks time as currently have a cupboard of "food stuff" that I cant replace financially until I get paid..so be warned over the next two weeks you may see something random on my diary..hehehee..for example the mini pork pie a counted yesterday!! once its gone its gone...and using these first two weeks as a learning curve
  • skinnyjo76
    Options
    Hi I'm from Surrey. Feel free to add me :drinker:
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am based in Southampton, so just up the road basically, lol. Go to Winchester for days out fairly regularly, rather be there than here, that is for sure. Feel free to add me but bear in mind I am here to help me deal with disordered eating rather than due to having weight to lose. Having said that, outside of some binge eating, I do eat pretty healthy and enjoy supporting others.
  • sphenisciforme
    Options
    Hi, I'm also in Winchester, Hampshire! I keep my diary closed and don't look at my friends' diaries, but am happy to provide encouragement if you want to add me to your friends list!
  • Lonewolf1507
    Lonewolf1507 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    OK I was going to send a friend request then you mention pork pie :laugh: the one thing I haven't had since I started my journey.

Just the other side of Berkshire from you in Oxfordshire,

Andy
    oh go on I will still send one :happy: