First 5k running times?

Options

Replies

• mortyfit
    mortyfit Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    First one two years ago 29:36. Current time (May 13th race) 21:47. Goal time sub-20:00.
    I definitely prefer 10k--easier to get settled into a comfortable pace and push it from there.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Great job!! That is awesome since just starting running in June!!

My time was 30 min but I'd been running for months before. When I started running it was 12 min mi so would've been 36 min.
    My hubs on the other hand jumps in it on the day of without training for it before and runs in 24 min. Was I happy for him? I wanted to kill him lol
  • jens_journey
    jens_journey Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Not a runner at all... Started my lifestyle change April 1, 2012 with dreams of being a runner. I try and try with epic fail... I am ok with this as I walk faster and feel better than if I run. Our family and our neighbors did The Color Run 5k together last weekend. The kids ran the whole thing! We ran/walked about half and half and did it in 38 minutes. I felt accomplished in that I even ran half of it. If you ever have the chance to do a Color Run do it! It's about having fun, it's not a true race. We had 10,600 of the happiest people running among us; some wore tutu's, wedding dresses, 80's work out gear, little kids, big kids, walkers, runners, and lotsa color! Not to mention the people that lined the route cheering us on!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    My first was around 21:30, fastest was in the 19's somewhere. Found out I'm better at 10K than 5.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I haven't done one yet, but I hope to come in right around the same time as you. Thirty minutes is very respectable for your first 5k. Congrats! :happy:
  • WhitneyT586
    WhitneyT586 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    First one was about 54 minutes - we mainly walked it. Second was right at 45 minutes - we walked and jogged some. I just signed up for another one in October and am hoping to get in under 45 minutes. Eventually I'd like to get under 30. Loving the challenge!
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Not a runner at all... Started my lifestyle change April 1, 2012 with dreams of being a runner. I try and try with epic fail... I am ok with this as I walk faster and feel better than if I run. Our family and our neighbors did The Color Run 5k together last weekend. The kids ran the whole thing! We ran/walked about half and half and did it in 38 minutes. I felt accomplished in that I even ran half of it. If you ever have the chance to do a Color Run do it! It's about having fun, it's not a true race. We had 10,600 of the happiest people running among us; some wore tutu's, wedding dresses, 80's work out gear, little kids, big kids, walkers, runners, and lotsa color! Not to mention the people that lined the route cheering us on!

The color run looks like so much fun! I unfortunately missed the one in my area this year. Next year I plan on running it though, along with the one I ran this year. I've been looking at a 5k that is in December and also some of the 5k flyers I got at my first 5k. I can't wait to do another soon!
  • mrscreager
    mrscreager Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Just finished my first 5k and ran it in 29:35! I was super excited and realized I dont push myself as hard as I should be on the treadmill. Fastest time I ran it on there was 35 min!

Ready for the next one!:happy:
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Just finished my first 5k and ran it in 29:35! I was super excited and realized I dont push myself as hard as I should be on the treadmill. Fastest time I ran it on there was 35 min!

Ready for the next one!:happy:

I was in the same boat. Now that I had an idea what to expect, I really want to run the next one. lol

http://freew67.blogspot.com/
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    30:42
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Have not been in a race in years, your post makes me think about. My current pace makes it around 32 min.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    For runners hoping to improve their time, I posted this in another thread, but the book The Four Hour Body has a great chapter on running
  • 40Marbles
    40Marbles Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Just did my first 5k yesterday and finished in 34.40. Not a great time for many, but it was a great time for me.
  • alantucker
    Options
    Just ran my 1st 5k race in 33:45 I'm happy with it after all them hills...lol
  • Pema91
    Options
    I think mine was about 45 mins.. But I had not ran at all for a very long time and was my first run to get me kick started.
  • Naija82
    Naija82 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    My first 5k was back in 2007 and I ran it in 24:03 secs. I stopped running for years and now I am trying to get back into it currently doing my 5ks in 28-32 mins depending on how tired I feel. I don't think I push myself enough and I need to run more often. There is such a difference when running with other people than running solo as you tend to push yourself harder and go faster.
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    My first I finished in just over 38 minutes. Which was great since the cut off time for that race was 40 minutes and I'd been seriously concerned about finishing at all.

I ran after no practice for a month and a half due to a possible heart condition (which I don't have!) and only got the okay 2 days before the race. So I ran mostly on adrenaline. Since then I've learned I'm an incredibly slow runner and have finished in 38 minutes a few more times. After training on speed for 6 months I managed to get to 35 minutes ;)

I am that person that has the biker behind her with the flag 'last runner'. I'm the person that needs to cross half way points backwards because they've already changed round the timing mechanism. (seriously, why do they do that stuff?!). I'm also the person that finishes before everyone that never even started.
  • mommy_2_4
    Options
    I my first 5k Saturday. Now I am going to be honest... I am 50+lbs overweight, I havent exercised in weeks, I have asthma (thought I was going to pass out) , and it was 19 degrees outside. My time was 46:30ish. I am hoping to start the C25K program this week weather permitting.
  • erinm2629
    erinm2629 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My first official 5k was in October in some wicked west Texas wind and came across the finish line at 36.04. Came home and a week later ran 3.2 in my neighborhood in 32 flat. I have been training for a 10k but the weather has not been friendly. Great job on your first race!
  • miniosiris
    Options
    Jogged/walked my first 5K back in September with no training of any kind in 39:56. Fast forward to 2 days ago when I finally managed to continuously run 5K for the first time in 31:25. Many congratulations on a really great time on your first race.