Slowing Metabolism (and Hello!)

Options
Hello! I joined this wonderful place a week ago and am thrilled to be here. It's already helped me lose weight through keeping me focused on portions and my workouts. Five years ago, I lost 50 lbs, but it's slowly coming back (I've gained 10 already). I'm at that age where my metabolism is slowing down and losing weight is harder than ever. I'm interested in learning new tricks. This "30 Day Shred" is interesting me, so maybe I'll try that even though it's a bit daunting at 51 yrs. I also need to make some better food choices - like, what's high in calcium and protein, but low-fat? Yogurt is the only thing I can think of.

Anyway, it's nice to be here. I look forward to meeting new friends :)
Sue

Replies

• tpt1950
    tpt1950 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    You have come to the right place for motivation and support. Browse through the success stories and some of the groups - they are inspiring. Feel free to add me as a friend - we can support and help each other through this journey!!
    Good Luck & Welcome!
  • sweetbeckymarie
    Options
    Hi there! I just wanted to let you know that the 30 Day Shred would probably be great for you! I do it regularly and the first day is always the hardest but it's actually not too hard to accomplish. 20 minutes is nothing for a work out, time wise, and it uses light weights and simple moves like jumping jacks and crunches. Welcome and you'll find great support here!
  • josephine57
    Options
    hello my name is Charlotte, use to be a runner years ago but fell apart the last 4 years. I would love to lose 20 pounds! I need some support for sure, I really want to do this but keep failing.I would love to have someone to chat with.
  • Jeyed
    Jeyed Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    MFP is a great tool. As far as being older and it being harder to lose weight, I'd have to disagree. You can change/speed up your metabolism and it's a lot easier to do than you may think.
    Read the forum posts, articles on the internet, books, etc. - make the effort to educate yourself on diet, nutrition and exercise. My biggest tip is to stay away from processed foods; keep it simple.
    Best of luck on your weight loss journey and to optimum health! Age is irrelevant and you CAN do it!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Don't let the aging slowing metabolism story stop you --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout
    We’ve been trying to figure out an exact NUMBER of calories that everyone should be eating, without recognizing that everyone is slightly different. In truth, the calories aren’t the end game. Your body is. So the EXACT amount of Calories that are right for you is the EXACT amount that will allow you to maintain your ideal bodyweight no matter what some calculator or chart says.

In other words, an online calculator might tell you that you need to eat 2,500 calories
    per day to maintain your ideal bodyweight. But the only way to know for sure if this is
    the right amount for you is to test it out. If you gain weight or can’t lose weight eating
    that much, then you know you need to eat less to lose weight no matter how many
    calculators and text books say otherwise.

This doesn’t mean your metabolism is broken, it just means the estimate of your needs
    was just a bit off.

-John Barban
  • skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Welcome to My Fitness Pal. :smile:
  • FitzyFitzpatrick
    FitzyFitzpatrick Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I kind of disagree about the metabolism slowing down. Perhaps it's just my own experience of finally losing the weight and having more energy than I've had my entire life (the entire life it took me to gain the "morbidly obese" status).

I walk 3 days a week, a distance of 2 miles, and climb at least 10 flights of stairs almost daily. I've NEVER been an exercise kind of person, so even this is a big change.

Sending a friend request.
  • baycat107
    baycat107 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    At 53, I'd have to agree that metabolism does slow down, but you can still lose weight. Increase your metabolism by building muscle & working out. I do 30 Day Shred and love it. It's a challenge, but I love the results I'm seeing. Would love to be your friend.
  • sedavis62
    Options
    Good Morning! Thanks for the replies and warm welcome :) My slowing metabolism is the result of two things: natural aging AND a change in my thyroid medication. Years ago, I was treated for a malfunctioning thyroid and have been on a replacement med ever since. My doc changed the dose of that med just over a year ago and boom! I gained 5 lbs in 4 weeks and haven't been able to get rid of them. The rest of the weight gain is my own laziness and I know I can change that. I don't know if I can change the effect of the med dose though, but there's no harm in trying.

I appreciate your support!!! Thank you :)
  • Shirlann46
    Shirlann46 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Good Morning and Welcome to all New Members to MFP.
    My Metabolism slowed down due to my Thyroid years ago. I just thought my Job was the cause but it was a part of it. Went on Synthroid now on Armour.
    Joined Anytime Fitness (for Exercise) and joined a Women's Senior Activity Group at our Local "Y" for unorganized Exercise. We do things such as Balance, VolleyBall( with beachBall) , Stick Hockey and Walking here or we go on Field Trips to Walk. Ages range from 66 (Me) up to 80.
    Any Movement will increase your Metabolism. We just have to Keep MOVING!!!!
    Again, WELCOME to Our Group.
    Shirlann
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Opps, sorry wrong thread!
  • sedavis62
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome Shirlann! I like the idea of "unorganized exercise" :) I used to wear a pedometer. I think I should get a new battery for it and wear it again. It'll get me up and moving through the day.