Has anyone quit smoking? Withdrawal help?

Options
I quit smoking a little over a week ago after ten years of pack a day smoking, I felt fine at first although a bit jittery but the last two nights I've barely slept , I fall asleep for maybe a half hour and wake up feeling like I'm falling off of something. I"m also burning up at night and having crazy night sweats which makes me wake up majorly weak and it's just making for a not so great day. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make it end sooner or make the symptoms less severe? Or is this something I'm just gonna have to ride out?

Replies

• CityOnAHill
    CityOnAHill Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I quit over 3 years ago and did it with the help of an antidepressant. Even with that, I still had the withdrawl symptoms you're talking about. Mostly, you're just going to have to ride it out.
    You can try the cessation smoking patches if it's really bad. Since you already quit a week ago, most of the withdrawl is mental at this point.
    Sounds silly but try oranges.

Best of luck and congrats for taking another healthy step in the right direction!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I have been smoke free for a little over a month now. Things that worked for me was eating fresh veggies and fruits, drinking water, chewing sugar-free gum, working out, meditating and breathing exercises. Also, if you are looking for a good community for support, I'd download the Livestrong App to Quit Smoking.

But part of the 1st week and the 2nd week - there were days that I thought I would go crazy, I didn't feel good, and I felt weak. I still get that now and again, but not as severe. Just keep at it and don't give in to the cravings and it will lessen :)

If you want, you can add me :) Sometimes just talking/venting about wanting to smoke helped me out :)
  • ahsongbird
    ahsongbird Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I actually have no cravings, no desire to smoke, I'm around my husband while he smokes his E-cig and I don't even think about it, it only hits me at night while I'm trying to sleep, my body just goes nuts.
  • msjessielynn
    msjessielynn Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting!!! it is not an easy task. I def tip my hat to you!!

Sadly, Unless you are using the gum, patch, or electronic cigarette, its likely a ride out thing. :(

Is there anything else you changed? Those symptoms seem kinda severe, but then i never make it past the "OMG, i wanna stab something" stage LOL
  • pigeonhugger
    pigeonhugger Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    i quit 5 months ago but for me it was a piece of cake so i cant relate to what you are going through.

although, try and combine the quitting smoking with the healthy eating. Drink loads of water and eat clean, - the quicker you can remove the toxins from your body the quicker the withdrawal symptoms will be gone. Also stop drinking alcohol while you are quitting- again for the benefit for the liver and kidneys but also as most people drink and smoke together.

good luck
  • kissenkate15
    Options
    I smoked for 3 years. I just quit one day and never looked back. I didn't need any of the gum, patches or meds. Everyone is different I guess. I have friends who "quit" for a week or so and then go right back to it. For me it was mind over matter. If i did want a cig I just did something else with my time. But again not everyone can just stop. Good luck to you.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I started at age 7, quit at 22 and started again because of a divorce. A year later, I told myself this mfer is not going to kill me! I quit that day. It takes sheer determination and an I've got this attitude. You can do this! I made gum my best friend for an entire year and now I cannot even stand to be around smoke because it reeks. After you quit, you will be happy you don't smell like that anymore....
  • bobbiebearden
    Options
    You're doing awesome! September 23 will be my 2nd anniversary of quitting. The one-week mark got pretty rough for me. I had sleeping pills and anti-depressants helping me out, so it wasn't the sleep so much as the headaches that made me want to pluck out my brain through my ear. I think everything starts getting a lot better after about 10 days. Just ride it out, and congrats! You're doing great :)
  • ferb03
    Options
    Are you sure this is triggered by smoking cessation and not something else, like maybe a change in some medication? Thyroid issues?
    I smoked 1.5-2 pl per day for 25 years and quit 13-years-ago. What worked for me was lots and lots of water and tomato juice by the gallon. It took a long time before my body adjusted to the new "normal". Don't give up, it does eventually get better.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking in 1987. It was pure hell. I was depressed. I felt as if I was walking through syrup. I was just miserable. In fact, I asked my doctor to put me in the hospital but he wouldn't. To be honest, cigarette smoking is drug addiction. And withdrawal is just like withdrawing from any drug.

What I did was drink a lot of orange juice. You don't want to smoke when you drink OJ. Don't know why I just know it's true. You're going to go through a hellish patch. Your doctor might give you something to help. It took me forever to get through it and in some ways, I didn't recover. But, I haven't smoked since Feb. 14, 1987.

Whatever you do, don't give in to the desire to smoke. You'll only have to go through this again. It gets harder each time and, I'm sure, it's different for everyone. What I went through may not be what someone else will go through. But any way you cut it, it won't be a walk in the park.

What you've done for yourself is to add years to your life and to add health to those years. But you have to pay a price for it. The price is temporary. You'll get through it.

Get your mind on other things. Meditate. Or whatever brings you peace and makes you centered.
  • ahsongbird
    Options
    i quit 5 months ago but for me it was a piece of cake so i cant relate to what you are going through.

although, try and combine the quitting smoking with the healthy eating. Drink loads of water and eat clean, - the quicker you can remove the toxins from your body the quicker the withdrawal symptoms will be gone. Also stop drinking alcohol while you are quitting- again for the benefit for the liver and kidneys but also as most people drink and smoke together.

good luck
    I haven't had alcohol since January lol I don't drink
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    working out helped me a lot... props to you for deciding to quit, your body will thank you eventually <3
  • ahsongbird
    Options
    Are you sure this is triggered by smoking cessation and not something else, like maybe a change in some medication? Thyroid issues?
    I smoked 1.5-2 pl per day for 25 years and quit 13-years-ago. What worked for me was lots and lots of water and tomato juice by the gallon. It took a long time before my body adjusted to the new "normal". Don't give up, it does eventually get better.
    Unless I'm just coming down with a virus, nothing else has changed at all. I'm not giving up , there's honestly nothing to give up I literally have not had a single thought about wanting to smoke since I quit, that was actually WHY I quit, I just didn't want to smoke, so I didn't. It was weird but awesome.
  • ScottiErica
    ScottiErica Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    What helped me was these little nicotine packs. I think the brand was nicogel or something. Anyway they are used for people who do smoke to help them curve the craving while on an airplane or in a movie theater where they otherwise couldn't smoke. I used them when I first quit to help me break the habit of actually smoking before I went through the nicotine withdrawals. You just rub the gel in your palms and its like smoking two cigarettes. I got mine at my local health department. Hope this helps and good luck. I know you can do it. :)
  • Scoochie1
    Scoochie1 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I quite last year (7mths) fell off the wagon, now stopped again for last 9 months.
    Both times I had craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy dreams, vivid dreams. I put it down to the nicotine withdraw. It eased off around week 3 and I'm totally fine now
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I used the patch for the first month or so (but didn't sleep with it on).

Tons of water, and good sweaty workouts helped a lot. Stick with it...it WILL get easier!
  • Shirlann46
    Shirlann46 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I quit in 1989 and I did it cold Turkey. I smoked for almost 30 yrs. I was up to 3 packs a day. I tried the Patch back then-didn't work for me. I never had any withdrawal symtoms(spelling?) at all. I walked a lot-sometimes 3 times a day. I can't stand the smell of a cigarette. It never bothered me being around somebody that was Smoking-it never enticed me to start, again. Once I Quit -that was it.
    I did gain weight even though I walked sometimes 3 times a day. In all kinds of Weather-rain, snow!!! I had to have something in my hands/mouth. But, it was worth it as far as my Health.
    Do something before going to bed to relax your body. Do Deep Breathing Exercises. Whatever you can do to Relax/Unwind. It will help you conquer this.
    Good Luck!!! & Congrats to you!!!
    Shirlann
  • subtlewhisper
    subtlewhisper Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Ice cold orange juice seemed to do it for me. I would just slam back half a glass.
    I'm not sure why it worked, but it seemed to freeze the craving right out of me.
  • jonielena
    Options
    Hi! I've been smoke free for 2 months now, and the cravings/withdrawal symptoms only fully went away (for me) about 2 weeks ago. I had pretty much the exact symptoms you're describing, and honestly the best thing you can do is just ride them out... they WILL go away, just give it time. Of course, in the meantime there are things to do to relieve some of the nasty withdrawals you're experiencing! What worked for me in the end was (feel free to laugh) I went home to my parents' house. They didn't know I smoked, so I knew i wouldn't be tempted to fall back into old habits and, more importantly, they have a very busy house with lots of kids. I was kept so busy that I went to bed every night completely exhausted, and thus didn't have any trouble falling asleep.

When I quit, I definitely got a bad case of insomnia for about a month. If you're going through that too, then the best thing is to treat it like it's insomnia. As other posters have mentioned, drink LOTS of water - that will help with lots of the symptoms. Go to bed at the same time every night, and wake up around the same time every morning. For sleep aide, I've heard that magnesium supplements can help. If it gets really unbearable, maybe consider talking to your doctor about prescribing something (if you're comfortable taking medication). Also, be sure not to eat anything a few hours before bed, and avoid watching TV or going on the internet before you doze off.

Ultimately, if nothing really helps, just keep reminding yourself that this is only temporary, and that the benefits of quitting make it all worthwhile! Quitting smoking is SO difficult - a feel like non-smokers don't always realize what a terrible ordeal it is - but it is worth it in the end. Do whatever you can to ease the withdrawal symptoms, run/exercise at least once a day (it'll help with the symptoms, and as your lungs improve it will be a great motivation to keep quitting), and stay strong!
  • chinatbag
    chinatbag Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I quit regular cigarettes and cloves (though I seriously still have a love/hate relationship with cloves). I started using an electronic cigarette, better known in the community as vaping. It's great for me, I don't feel like smoking regular cigarettes or cloves anymore. Sure, it has its own risks, but I feel it has reduced risks in comparison with regular cigarettes. I know the risks and consequences of my actions, so I feel no regret or remorse towards switching.