Empty nester grandma looking for weight loss friends.

Options
Hello, I'm a empty nester grandma looking to lose weight and keep it off! My life as been a yo-yo diet. It's going to take some serious effort to stay focused to lose 100 plus pounds. That seems to be the hardest part for me, with so many pounds to lose. I am inspired by so many of you who have lost 50, 100 plus pounds. That is awesome! Won't you share with me, your journey and how you managed to stay focused with so many pounds to loose.

I used to keep my true weight from EVERYONE, including my husband. But I finally realized that Im only kidding myself! It's time to fess up, make a public commitment to begin a new weight loss journey.

Since recently joining the android world, I am excited to find this wonderful app that will definitely help me stay on track. This is my first week getting familiar with the site and what it can do. Being able to monitor the nutrients is also a plus. Otherwise, something I wouldn't have given much thought about. After this first week, I noticed my Potassium and calcium is falling way short, so I will be buying an extra supplement. The Bar Code Scanner is awesome. It recognized the vitamin I take and I think it is adding it to the daily nutrients as well. Thanks!

I Look forward to new friends and encouragement in exchange for mine.

Replies

• MissMiley
    Options
    Hello empty nester!! There are a lot of us grandma's on here loosing weight! You'll find lots of support on this site!! Good luck on your new weight loss journey!! Sending you a friend request!!

Cynde
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    you can add me if you like
  • skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Welcome to My Fitness Pal. :smile:
  • nannabannana
    Options
    Hey there empy nester. I am a NANNA..Grandma..lol Welcome to thiswonderful site. There are so many great people on here to motivate and encourage you, including me. I will send you a friend request , if you like my profile add me.

Tks Di
  • Shelialouise66
    Options
    I'm a Meme raising my 3 year old and 3 month old grandbabies, feel free to add me. I gotta get this weight off to keep up with my loves, Jordan and Jurnee.
  • gailashton
    Options
    I too am a grandma. This website has opened the door to many friends, advice and people who have been through this over and over again. I am happy to say that being a grandma doesn't mean you have to be old, out of shape, etc. I'm going to do things with my grandkids to keep them healthy and moving just like me! Welcome to the golden years!
  • pinksirose
    Options
    Hi Empty Nester. I am just trying to get the hang of how to use this site. (never used a forum before!) Love your user name. Am just coming ot terms with 'Empty nest '.
    I am so pleased you have found this supportive forum Best wishes :)
  • alikrumn
    Options
    Hi and welcome. I am also somewhat new. I will be a Grandma early next year and could use alot of advise. Feel free to add me and we will journey together:happy:
  • kw85296
    kw85296 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Hi, Empty Nester! There are lots of us grandmas and it's never too late to begin another weight loss journey. I think this site is awesome and hope it will help you too. There are alot of encouraging friends here. Feel free to add me.
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Hi, Empty nester grandma,

I'm a gramanana to 4 beautiful grandkids that I only see a few times a year. I've also been fighting weight issues most of my life. It got really bad when I quit smoking over 10 years ago--I put on 30 pounds in a very short time and have half-heartedly tried to lose it several times. MFP really works for me. I never thought I needed friends, but it really does help. You've found the right site for weight loss tips and lots of encouragement.

Welcome and good luck!
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Wishing you the best of luck with your commitment to this lifetime journey. It truly never ends. Even after losing the weight we must learn the discipline to keep it off...for our health, and our family and friends. Good luck and add me if you like. :flowerforyou:
  • healthylady88
    healthylady88 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi Empty Nester..I am in the same boat as you! Empty nest and gramma of 11. Lots to lose and so much to gain by all the nice people here :) Welcome.
  • m23gm25
    m23gm25 Posts: 157
    Options
    Welcome Latidah!
    I'm a grandma to 5. They all live 10 hours away by car and since 9/11 flying scares me even more than it used to.
    I have also had weight problems all my life. I have lost 50 or more pounds 3 times on 40 years. This time will be the last time I have to. For one thing I don't have the added stress of a chaotic job. (But then I do have the stress of not having a job.)
    I found out if I walk 3-4 miles a day I stress less. And since I am a stress eater I try to start most of my days with a brisk 3-4 mile walk.
    when I started MFP a month ago I had 80 lbs to lose. Now I have 60 to go. I found that having that accountability of listing every morsel I eat on the computer has really made a world of difference.
    And when I'm feeling low or like I'll never get to goal I turn to the message board to read a success story or 2 and then I know I can do this. And so can you. I'll send you a friend request!

Happy journey! Lynn
  • PoolGirlDeb
    Options
    I can always use a new friend. Welcome to mfp and the many successes you will gain here.