what would you want to see as a wedding favor

Options

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Cake pops, or those candy coated rice krispy treats...you can decorate either with candy rings, or small bunches of fake flowers to match the bridal stuff, easy to make and not super pricy, plus it's just cooler when the couple getting married takes the time to make the wedding favors...no one keeps wedding favors except the bride/groom, but if it's edible and good it will be remembered for a very long time...plus it would be easy to just add a tag to each one regarding the donation.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I 'know' someone that recently got married and used wild meadow flower seeds as the favours. I think the fact that they're very green country dwellers made them a hit. The meadow she bought the seeds from is especially beautiful and not often seen so I personally would have loved them, having a bit of that meadow in my own back garden would be a real pleasure...the wild life would enjoy it too.

The usual in the UK tends to be sugared almonds, they're great for keeping the hunger pangs at bay while you sit through the speeches but not the most original. A charity donation is great but what if they wouldn't have chosen that charity. Maybe make the invitations RSVP with a list of 5 or 10 charities to choose from. That way they have some choice in the matter but then thats adding to this....

I actually dislike the fact that favours are expected, much like goody bags at kids parties. Places extra, unneeded, financial and thought pressure on the hosts. You're there for the event, thats the "treat", not to see what you can come away with.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Those who love you will appreciate the opportunity to share your joy. I gave bulbs with sea glass and pebbles in a little glass votive wrapped with cream tulle, a ribbon, and a live flower. I'm sure no one remembers, and honestly I can't think of the name of the flower myself. Don't spend much of your energy here; spend it on heartfelt, handwritten thank you notes.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    My brother and sister in law did the donation thing.
    They did have other favors though. A small glass jar full of personalized m&ms in their wedding colors. There was also a card attached with some pretty ribbon explaining the charity.

The jar was cute to keep and put small flowers in.

You can get single-color M&Ms at some candy shops or order them online.
  • LeRevCooper
    Options
    Screw donations. If you want to donate to some charity, then do it, but it's not a wedding favor. Give them something they can eat like candy or whatever, otherwise anything else is just junk. (Except for the plant idea)
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I loved the idea of doing the plantable seed packets or bird seed things that they could put outside when they got home but I didnt have money for them at the time..You could also do a candy or popcorn bar and let them pick and choose the candy and things and the amount they want to bring.Really all depends on your budget.
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Love the charity idea!

The last wedding I went to, the bride and groom got several crates of strawberries from a local farmer and made homemade strawberry jam that was amazing! They had their wedding on an old family farm type location, reception in the barn, lots of paper lanterns and hand-made origami birds, etc. and it seemed fitting.

I've seen a similarly themed wedding give little jars of barbecue spice rub (which they'd used in the food served).
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    We put personalized mini hershey's on the table and did mini photo frames which doubled as a seating card.
  • jlfst77
    Options
    The favors from friends/family weddings I've ended up enjoying/using the most were:

- Personalized Chico Bag with a logo of their initials ("M&L"). Super handy and doesn't look like a wedding favor.
    - Personalized Spice mix in a jar
    - Chai tea in a little tin (I liked it so much I asked the bride where to order more)

The key is for the favor to be sufficiently useful that some people are willing to take more than one home to offset any folks who left theirs behind. I have three M&L bags, for example :-)
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    The photo booth is an awesome idea because the bride and groom get copies of everyone's photo's... My sister had that at her wedding in August.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I loved the idea of doing the plantable seed packets or bird seed things that they could put outside when they got home but I didnt have money for them at the time..You could also do a candy or popcorn bar and let them pick and choose the candy and things and the amount they want to bring.Really all depends on your budget.

our budget is next to nothing

also, it is a fall wedding! don't know if that will help

everyone's suggestions are so great, keep em coming
  • foxyforce
    Options
    We put personalized mini hershey's on the table and did mini photo frames which doubled as a seating card.

the frame idea is very cute...
  • foxyforce
    Options
    The favors from friends/family weddings I've ended up enjoying/using the most were:

- Personalized Chico Bag with a logo of their initials ("M&L"). Super handy and doesn't look like a wedding favor.
    - Personalized Spice mix in a jar
    - Chai tea in a little tin (I liked it so much I asked the bride where to order more)

The key is for the favor to be sufficiently useful that some people are willing to take more than one home to offset any folks who left theirs behind. I have three M&L bags, for example :-)

i hear this, my fiance and i received a ceramic serving tray (nicest favor i have ever seen), and we use it all the time.
  • aSunflower
    aSunflower Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Friends of ours gave out pine trees! Yup, actually trees, they were about a foot tall. Some guest could not plant them and gave them to others. We had just built a house with not one plant or tree. We went home with four trees and the mother of the bride gave us another four that were leftover. Well, 14 years later those trees are over eight feet tall.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I made my own chocolate suckers, they were a HUGE hit!!

I'm a sucker for personalized books of matches. We just went haywire looking for a match so I could light a candle.. none in the house!!

The 2nd last wedding I was at, the favors were personalized shot glasses with the bride and groom's favorite jelly beans in it. Very cute!
  • Syderelli
    Syderelli Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    my colors were black, green and white :) we got bamboo plants from Ikea, they were like $1 a piece there.. and included a little notecard talking about how bamboo is considered lucky.. or something.. (haha I didn't really see what the cards said... my family pretty much planned my wedding..)
  • foxyforce
    Options
    do you guys think it is in bad taste to give out shot glasses to people in recovery? we have a couple that will be attending, and id love to do shot glasses but i feel awkward about giving this to them...
  • LeRevCooper
    Options
    do you guys think it is in bad taste to give out shot glasses to people in recovery? we have a couple that will be attending, and id love to do shot glasses but i feel awkward about giving this to them...
    What about coffee mugs instead of shot glasses?
  • auntiemsgr8
    auntiemsgr8 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    My cousin and her husband gave out single pot sized ground coffee packs and put their wedding info on the side. Used simple return address sized labels for the info.

I'm not sure about anything alcohol related unless they have been recovering for many years. I think then it would be safe and if they felt uneasy they could give it to another couple or leave it.

All of these ideas are great. Something to keep in mind if I ever have to plan a wedding.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I can't say I've ever kept a favor from a wedding or really remembered it all that much. Maybe stick with something edible, but if you're on a limited budget, nothing says you have to do favors.