Isn't Protein and Fiber Good?

Options
I have been using this site for the last few months. This is the first time I've hollered out to others. I'm confused...I thought protein and fiber are good, yet I am constantly going in the red on both. My calorie intake is usually under the alloted amount, so I have to do something...Am I not understanding the method? I understand that anything you do not use will eventually turn to fat, but I also think I need protein to keep me going and fiber cannot be bad...can it?

I work in the healthcare field, so I am on my feet and moving for 6-10 hours a day, depending on the length of my shift.

BTW: I have lost 5 lbs and love the site, just need more info!

Replies

• 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    The protein goal the MFP gives is ridiculously low - think of it as a minimum- you can manually reset it a good target is around 30-40% .
    Fiber is also a good thing and you can chose how much your target should be daily - most nutrition recommendations are for around 25-30 grams a day.
  • chanson104
    Options
    My opinion -- eat lots of fruits, veges, lean meats and nuts, stay under your calories and let the macros fall where they will. Don't stress over all the numbers and don't make it too difficult.
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    You can change the maros in MFP by changing your goals and doing custom. I found protein was set too low for me using the defaults (and sodium too high, etc). One suggestion is .6 to 1 * lean body mass = protein. And here is an article on fiber http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09333.html. You can use the search on MFP to find threads that talk about protein levels. Not sure about fiber, but a google search can help you other suggestions. I have my sodium set to 1500 based on the web research I did.

I'm sure others will chime in also.

But protein and fiber are good, yes.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    It's good to go over on fiber, and I agree with the other posters that you should reset your protein to about 1g for each lb lean body mass or even as much as 1g per lb. There is such a thing as too much protein, but as long as it's from good sources and not a lot more grams than you weigh in lbs., should be fine.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Protein on here is set way low, so you can change that by going to Food - Goals - Custom. I have mine at 40% carbs/30% fat and 30% protein. Lean protein is essential to losing weight, so make your goal higher and then you won't have to feel bad about seeing the red. I'd worry if you're consistently going over on carbs and fat, but lean protein and fiber are both great for you.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    It drives me nuts to see those in red. I really should change the settings. It's dumb.
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Both are good. I don't pay much attention to the red except calories and sodium. I am in healthcare also, and I am a health and fitness nut so I do lots of research in this area.
  • salsamamasue
    Options
    Again, I must act stupid and so I ask..What do you mean by MFP?
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    mfp myfitnesspal:bigsmile:
  • salsamamasue
    Options
    I am all about fiber. The government standard states 5 servings of fruit and veggies a day. I took it upon myself to get 9-10 of fresh fruits/veggies a day. I do between 8 and 10 servings a day. Yes, I have a garden, so that makes things easier. And I love it!!
  • salsamamasue
    Options
    thanks for the info!
  • salsamamasue
    Options
    Thanks to all, sometimes I get caught up in the numbers...But feeling good, and I think I'm doing the right thing. This is COOL!! 1st time I have got into a chat session. You all have and can help me!! Thanks agan for your input!