struggling to eat enough - NOT pro ana

Options
HI,

I'm really hoping MFP will help me with my caloric intake. I think I'm on the flip side of others here, I need to eat more calories. Medications that I am on have eliminated my appetite and I am struggling to get enough calories. If anyone else has some suggestions for me, I would greatly appreciate it. The meds on top of major depression make eating a real struggle. I do NOT have a diagnosed eating disorder, I am NOT recommending others not eat. For me, I struggle to get over 900 cal a day. I really hope MFP will help me track my intake so I can get above 1100 cal. Yes, my doctor knows all about this. She wants me to add whey protein to all my drinks so I get more calories and protein. Any recommendations on good tasting whey protein?

Thanks for letting me ramble.

bpyoyo

Replies

• emarific
    emarific Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Nuts are a great source of calories in compact form.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Optimum nutrition both Whey and casein - I like the flavors and they blend well with hot and cold beverages.

I use french vanilla in my tea and coffee. I like the banana cream and chocolate mint.
    They have an oats and whey which works well and it has higer calories with carbs and fiber.

These days my wakeup beverage is a chai pumpkin spice latte
    brew a chai tea bag - toss the tea in your blender add 1 scoop of banana cream protein and 1/2 cup of pumpkin puree and a shake or two of pumpkin pie spice buzz till you get as much of a head as you like. It runs around 130 calories with 25 gm protein and 4gm fiber. So good!
  • bpyoyo
    bpyoyo Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Healthy fats from sources like nuts and seeds, as well as adding coconut oil to smoothies etc will definitely help boost the calorie count.

Good luck! I've been where you are (medication robbing me of appetite) and it's a struggle for sure!
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I could list for DAYS!! I can exhaust calories in 10mins if given free reign...

DRINK calories: fruit juice

EAT calories: Nut butters, nuts, add fats to veggies (mmmm, butter!), olive oil, full fat/full calorie versions of everything (if it says light, it is NOT your friend).

If you aren't afraid to splurge- ICE CREAM.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    What everyone has said: concentrate on calorie dense foods: nuts. nut butter, avocados, full-fat dairy, butter as a seasoning, olive oil to cook things in.
  • VaingloriousVictoria
    Options
    Have you thought about eating every 3-4 hours? Try eating lean meats and protein & good fats. :) Good luck!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    for whey i like gold standard brand and designer whey. when i do a protein smoothie i usually use 2 scoops. also use full fat milk (if you arent intolerant) to your smoothies.

eggs avocadoes, peanut butter, almond butter, full fat greek yogurt, salmon, tilapia, almonds, cashews, ground turkey, chicken thighs are all good ways to get protein and increase your calories
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I can't help with the whey protein powder since I don't use it. Maybe try to think of ways to add more calories to what you do eat. I'm thinking of things like adding butter to your toast or sandwich, having cheese with your crackers, sauteing vegetables in olive oil, etc. Unless you really have to watch your intake of saturated fat, use regular full fat dairy products. As someone else noted, nuts are high in both calories and protein, and obviously, so is peanut butter. Try to read labels before you buy--most of us here are looking for the fewest possible calories for, say, bread or cereal. You should be looking for the highest calories. For example, I'd love to eat a nice big serving of granola for breakfast, but it has too many calories for me--perfect for you!
  • butlerangelia
    butlerangelia Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    :happy: hormel makes something called a "magic cup". it is like a small cup of ice cream that has 290 calories and 9 grams of protein. if you go to a nutrition store they can probably order it for you. this may help a little since you don't have an appetite, it's a very small cup so it won't feel like you are stuffing yourself. good luck!
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Drink your calories. Cow's milk, soy milk, almond milk, fruit juice, vegetable juice, smoothies, hot chocolate, cider... It's pretty easy to slip in a couple hundred calories through beverages.

Also, reiterating what everyone else has said so far: go for calorie-dense food, like nuts and nut butters, meats, cheeses, eggs, avocados, oils, etc. Oh, and don't be afraid of pastries, chocolate, marzipan, ice cream, or other "unhealthy" foods -- if something triggers your appetite, you need those calories!

And of course, steer clear of "light," "low-fat," "reduced-calorie," etc.
  • cristaine
    Options
    if you have a local body-builder supply store they often have single-packs of different proteins that you can buy. A lot of what I love (or don't!) about protein powders (personally) is whether they mix easily without a blender and their "tongue feel" (some are just gritty and disgusting even though the flavour is great....

A good deal is preference though, so try to get single sizes if you can to try them out (or ask them for a recommendation, I've never met a nicer more helpful bunch at my local store!) I do thing whey protein is a great way (whey? lol) to add quality protein and calories to your day though. Nuts are another great way ( or do both, add nut butter to a protein smoothie !)

Best wishes.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Optimum nutrition both Whey and casein - I like the flavors and they blend well with hot and cold beverages.

I use this brand, too. The extreme milk chocolate is AMAZING with unsweetened vanilla almond milk!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    If you drink a glass (2 cups) of Chocolate Milk (300 calories) and 2 Tbps. of Peanut butter (190 calories) right of the spoon that alone is dang near 500 calories and that isn't very much to take in... Eat Nuts (Almonds, Pistachios, etc) just 1 cup full of Pistachios is 320 calories alone. If that doesn't work try adding some Whey or Casein powder to a drink each scoop is 130 calories and has protein to boot.... Best of Luck
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I've heard Optimum Nutrition is the best tasting overall (from several people). I haven't gotten to try it yet, though. I just got the big jug of Six Star Triple Chocolate and Cookies 'n' Cream at Walmart. It tastes great to me. Mix it with some full-fat milk or some plain greek yogurt. I sometimes mix frozen strawberries into the yogurt and let them thaw in there. They leak yummy strawberry juice that gets mixed with the chocolate yogurt and it turns out quite delicious.
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, due to surgery years ago. I'm working really hard to hit 1,300 cals each day but it's tough. Sent you a friend request :).