Anyone doing this with fibromyalgia?

Options
My bff told me about this site so I figured every bit of support helps. I was diognosied with fibromyalgia about 3 yrs ago though I have been sick for about 5. I lost over 100 pds 15 yrs ago after having my kids but put it on in the last 4 when I got sick. I finally made the decision to take back my life no matter how much pain I am in. I was wondering does anyone else have fibro? If so did you start to feel better with exercise? The fact is I am going to do this regardless of how much it hurts ....love reading everyones blogs

Replies

• WKMA1950
    WKMA1950 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    yes, found out that I had fibromyalgia about 5 years ago, I have been in pain for a lot longer. My doctor treated everything. I'm on several medications now. last June I found out that I had hyperthyroidism now on a new medication for that. I would rather try more natural things. I fill like my doctor only wants to cover up the pain. The last two weeks I've had headaches. I'm trying very hard to lose weight before I go back to the doctor in December. I also am trying to get my blood pressure down.
    Nice to know that I'm not alone.
  • Maddi_InBetweenDays
    Options
    I have fibro, diagnosed about 3 years ago. I can honestly say that exercise helps so much! Moving everyday and trying to strengthen has really helped with body pain and with energy. I have not had a flare up for over 3 months, and within the last year, I have only had 3 really bad spells (and one was due to a cold lol!)
  • MainEventMike
    MainEventMike Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    There's a great book called "Mindbody Prescription" written by Dr. John Sarno. It changed my life. Hope it helps you. :smile:
  • mokab
    mokab Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have fibro. Have been dx for about 13 yrs. Exercise does help and even on days that I hurt a deep massage works wonders. Even tho it hurts at the time and I have soreness afterwards, it does help the pain. I am not on anything but do have flare ups but the really bad ones are few and far between. Yesterday was a bad one and I was really agitated today because it left me so drained and sore. Bedtime is a nightly struggle for me. Does anyone else suffer nightly?
  • vander7679
    vander7679 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed about three years ago and used it as my excuse. Six months ago I decided to stop using it and embraced it. I do feel so much better now. I also decided to go gluten free about three months ago for my migraines as well and the fibro and have been pain free for the entire three months. You can do this!
  • kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I have fibro. Have been dx for about 13 yrs. Exercise does help and even on days that I hurt a deep massage works wonders. Even tho it hurts at the time and I have soreness afterwards, it does help the pain. I am not on anything but do have flare ups but the really bad ones are few and far between. Yesterday was a bad one and I was really agitated today because it left me so drained and sore. Bedtime is a nightly struggle for me. Does anyone else suffer nightly?
    I had a lot of pain last night. I find that 2 aleve, before bed, helps me. I didn't take it last night and I was awake with pain pretty much all night.
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I am doing this with Fibro and other health issues but specifically speaking with the fibro, I feel just as you do in that I will fight through pain if I have to. I try to do lighter exercises like walking and using a stationary bike (for now at least) and find that just moving more in general really seems to help. I have yet to find out if the pain when being poked or bumped will ever improve with time.
  • karabff
    Options
    I can't even remember the last time I slept..my Dr. wants me to do a sleep study but I am holding off to see if diet an exercise will help..thank you for your reply it is nice to know I am not in this struggle alone
  • karabff
    Options
    Thanks to everyone you all really inspired me..I am off all the med's as I found that for ME they did not work an caused additional problems....I will keep following all of you as it helps to have ppl around who are not only struggling to lose the weight, keep motivated but also dealing with the chronic pain...thanks again everyone
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Also doing this with Fibro along with Narcolepsy and sleep apnea. I started getting on my old exercise bike when I was having pain because I'm at home on disability. It gets my mind off of the pain for a few minutes for sure. Not sure what I'm going to do when I start a strength training routine, though. Will just keep at it.
  • lessofE
    lessofE Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have fibro and have felt so much better since eating better!
  • crystalbluewolf13
    crystalbluewolf13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    im doing this with fibro and a host of other conditions. this might sound strange but since ive switched to a wheat/dairy free diet my fibro is much better, same with alot of people i talk to
  • pattimelz
    pattimelz Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi I am a 58 year old woman I have Fibromyalgia found out 3 years ago but I think I have had it for much longer .My Dr put me on medication for it Cymbalta & Gabapentin I started to gain weight rapidly after that . I also went into menopause around the same time . I had a Gastric bypass 12 years ago and lost 100 Lbs I had managed to keep the weight off pretty good but now at a 25 Lb gain I thought it was time to really try to address it before it got too out of control .I exercise regularly since my weight loss and eat pretty healthy too . I have had several flare ups in the past few months ,Just wondering what others are doing for it and the weight gain.
  • 519harley
    519harley Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I just found out yesterday. I'm 58 and my doctor just put me on Savella. I hope it helps and wondered if I could join your group.
    Thanks, Karen