Half your weight in water

Options

Replies

• marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I try to. :) Usually I get it in, but there are days I don't. On the days I do, I am not AS hungry. ;)
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    This is always confusing for me, as I don't measure water in ounces. I'm guessing you mean fluid ounces? I'll convert to litres and see... Okay, I drink three quarters of my weight in fluid ounces.
  • jojorocksforeva
    jojorocksforeva Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    All is i drink Tons of water Its a necessary thing to do to lose weight and be healthy .
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Not quit half my body weight in water but 90% there. If I drink 16oz before I leave for work/boot camp/church I usually get very close to it. During the workday I try to drink 32 oz in the morning, then 32 in the afternoon. So by 5 pm I have had 80 oz. Then I get in the final 20 oz working out and dinner
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Does anybody else drink half their weight in water? And do you find it effective??

If I drank 120lbs of water, I think I would die.

120lbs is between 13 and 14 gallons of water. Yes, this would be rather unhealthy.

I'd have to go up to 14-15 gallons. I think we'd both die.
  • curlyteetee
    curlyteetee Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have too see if I'm drinking half my weight in water but, I normally drinkat least a gallon a day
  • asmallermeplz
    asmallermeplz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Yes most days I drink more than that! :happy: But it`s not always easy. :bigsmile:
    Good luck everyone!!
  • edynjen
    Options
    I have never heard this rule. I drink alot of water already but I am gonna start keeping track and see where I am. I bet I am still shy of what I should have. I am curious how this will change things. Thanks guys!
  • MrsTaylor1922
    MrsTaylor1922 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Im gonna really start doing this. Ive heard alot of people do this and have success.
  • aakaakaak
    Options
    So I'm not really sure if this falls into dangerous levels of water consumption, but water intoxication/hyponatremia exists. It can be fatal if taken to extremes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

Depending on the person, weight, gender, etc. it is recommended to drink between 2-3 liters of liquid per day. In levels of extreme sports where you need to consume more water, be sure to replace the sodium you sweat out or you'll increase your risk of hyponatremia.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

*****I am not a professional. If you need a professional opinion on this please seek one outside of a forum.***
  • aakaakaak
    Options
    Drinking 67 lbs of water....I think any normal person would literally die from water poisoning :PPPP
    Sarcasm aside, I drink about 3-4 liters a day, and so I dont wash away the needed electrolytes, I put elixir tablets in two of the 4.

Water poisoning does exist and it can be fatal.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I drink when I'm thirsty. Drinking more than that serves no biological purpose, and just wastes water.
  • tigersword
    Options
    I have never heard this rule. I drink alot of water already but I am gonna start keeping track and see where I am. I bet I am still shy of what I should have. I am curious how this will change things. Thanks guys!
    It's not a "rule." There's no biological or medical basis for it. It was just invented by the fitness community, probably due to bottled water endorsements.
  • pattyg1821
    Options
    ive recently posted about this too over last few months. People that aren't pay attention to what others are saying -they mean..........
    I am currently 226 pounds . half my weight is 113 pounds. NOW change that number to fluid oz =113 oz. If you are trying to figure out how many bottles of water to drink ,take that number divide by a 20 oz bottle of water = 5 -6 bottles of water.
  • pattyg1821
    Options
    I did talk with a registered dietician where I work and she said there is still lots of arguements about this but she did tell me about 2500cc/ml a day is a good number. which means 83 oz a day.

medical terms: cc =ml both the same thing.
    30cc/ml =1 fl.oz

3000cc/ml divided by 30cc/ml = 100fl oz. daily

2500cc/ml divided by 30cc/ml = 83 fl oz. daily

2000cc/ml divided by 30cc/ml= 66 fl oz daily
  • aakaakaak
    Options
    ive recently posted about this too over last few months. People that aren't pay attention to what others are saying -they mean..........
    I am currently 226 pounds . half my weight is 113 pounds. NOW change that number to fluid oz =113 oz. If you are trying to figure out how many bottles of water to drink ,take that number divide by a 20 oz bottle of water = 5 -6 bottles of water.

This makes a lot more sense and should probably be in the original post. Drinking 113 pounds of water every day would be nuts and probably unhealthy. (You'd need to drink about 14 gallons of water if it were in pounds.)
  • tigersword
    Options
    I did talk with a registered dietician where I work and she said there is still lots of arguements about this but she did tell me about 2500cc/ml a day is a good number. which means 83 oz a day.

medical terms: cc =ml both the same thing.
    30cc/ml =1 fl.oz

3000cc/ml divided by 30cc/ml = 100fl oz. daily

2500cc/ml divided by 30cc/ml = 83 fl oz. daily

2000cc/ml divided by 30cc/ml= 66 fl oz daily
    Did the dietician fail to mention that about half of that comes from the food you eat? And that anything you consume counts, not just water? Water, food, tea, juice, coffee, soda, all counts to hydration. There is no set amount of fluids for a human being to drink because it varies widely based on diet, climate, and activity level.
  • msjessielynn
    msjessielynn Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I also read half your body weight converted into oz is how much one should drink.

Ive been drinking that much for a few days now, and i have found it curbs the hunger, and makes me not crave soda. (The caffeine makes me crave the soda however)

Its also true all liquid counts, along with approx 30 percent of the intake comes from food. But I say, if you can drink it, drink it:)
  • dena789
    dena789 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have really upped my water intake since starting to monitor what I am eating. I still struggle some days to get my water in but I am doing better. I bought a Rubbermaid drink bottle that is 20oz/600ml in size and that has helped a lot. My goal for the day is 5 of those full or 100 oz. I know you get liquid from other foods but, that all has to get processed by the body to remove the nutrients and waste before it can be used as water. I believe you need the actual water to really flush out the crap that has been stored along with the fat in your body when you are losing weight. Things other than water take longer to be cleaned by the kidneys for the body to use. Give your kidneys a break! Drink more water!!
  • MyPaperBleedsInk
    MyPaperBleedsInk Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Heck no. I'd be running to the bathroom every 10 minutes once the water started going through my system.