Veggies!!! What is your take?

Options

Replies

• lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    My take on veggies since I started roasting them with garlic has completely changed! I now crave brussel sprouts, broccoli, peppers, asparagus, etc like no other! It's all about finding what you like! And lately I'm loving mushrooms and sugar snap peas raw, too!!! I notice when I don't fit in veggies I ammunition actually hungrier for bad things as opposed to satisfied

Roasted veggies are the best!! Ive been trying to experiment with different ones, some didnt work to well lol i agree with the hunger, cuz i eat low carb that help knock out the cravings for the wrong things and made me explore at bit more into making good veggie sides instead of just steaming and popping it on the plate. Always gotta keep things interesting in the kitchen :)
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I consider myself fortunate in that I have liked veggies since I was young, moreso when I became vegetarian, and even now as a pescetarian, I love them. I have tried most kinds, but find myself tending towards baby plum tomatoes, spinach, broccoli, raw carrots, beetroot, mangetout(almost nightly), mushrooms and courgette/zuccini. I have at least a pound of veggies with my dinner every evening. One veggie I want to try is this spaghetti squash, but I have yet to find it here in the Uk. It must be under another name, although we have butternut squash.
  • rumpusparable
    Options
    I love some, I hate some, I'm indifferent on others... Just depends on the veggie and how it's made.

I used to seriously hate most vegetables growing up and in my early twenties. Looking back it was definitely due to my experiences with them so far... A lot of canned stuff boiled in my mom's house.

My husband liked a lot of different things made different ways and he introduced me to a variety over the years. I found I really loved a lot of stuff. Then I went vegetarian and explored even more on my own.
  • nixism
    nixism Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I love veges, and would have them any day over fruit for a snack... ie: cucumber slices instead of an apple etc...
    I pretty much love all veges, except parsnip and beetroot.
  • checof
    checof Posts: 114
    Options
    I "hated" vegetables with the exception of mushrooms, watercress and bean sprouts until a few years ago. Now I'm into zuccini, corn, lima beans, mesclun, and a host of other veggies I never thought I'd like, like broccoli! I still don't like carrots or white cauliflower, though I can tolerate the golden kind.

All of this having been said, I still don't automatically think "Vegetables!" when I'm hungry. I have to make an effort to include them into meals, and EXCLUDE fatty and flour-based items. It's a daily battle, but I'm getting there!''

By the way, I find I like the "baby" versions of vegetables more than their adult counterpart. Baby corn, baby carrots and baby bellas. Yum. :smile:
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I think I fall in the somewhere in between category. I really enjoy fresh veggies when I have the energy to cook :wink:
  • rcthale
    rcthale Posts: 141
    Options
    My biggest problem with veggies is that they must be cooked, unlike fruits. But when I have the time to make broccoli, sweet potatoes, or beans, they're delicious!
  • marlynej
    marlynej Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    LOVE vegetables of all kinds. Be sure when cooking brussel sprouts or broccoli not to overcook it as they will turn bitter.
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I like food. All kinds.

That's what got me in to this mess in the first place...

Good thing about veggies is they taste good and you can pretty much eat unlimited quantities of them. I like them raw or cooked.

i make a huge salad with a couple kinds of lettuce and all the veggies in the fridge to go with dinner, and then have enough left over for lunch the next day.
  • Mendelianparakeets
    Options
    I kind of selective about veggies, but I do loooove raw broccoli and cauliflower. Can eat that stuff like potato chips, without any dip, which definitely helps it with its healthy snack status, haha.

I enjoy carrots too, both raw and steamed.
  • draco706
    draco706 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I was a weird kid. I loved broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, bean sprouts, cucumbers, peas, beans, carrots. Still allergic to peppers and still don't like beets, radishes or onions (cooked or raw). I might make a cauliflower mash tomorrow, its just as good as mashed potatoes just healthier or maybe steamed carrots, broccoli and cauliflower lightly dressed with Tuscan seasoning and extra virgin olive oil. Add chicken and a salad (romaine and spinach) perfect.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I only really eat a few, and I eat them all the time as people who watch my diary log know:

lettuce
    tomato
    onion
    green onion
    cucumber
    carrots
    mushrooms
    celery

steamed green beans

Most of them I eat raw in a big salad with some meat and if I have room in my calorie budget possibly 1/4 avocado. I typically make my own dressing with water, cider vinegar, raspberry salsa, garlic, and horseradish or possibly other spices.

Sometimes I cook the mushroom, onions, and celery with garlic and meat.

That's it for me. Pretty boring.
  • riiah86
    Options
    I never heard that your palate changes, but I used to hate broccoli, and sometime last year I really took a liking to broccoli. Its one of my favorite vegetables and dinner sides.
  • HealthyShazza
    Options
    Love them...especially raw. I have been making tons of salsas and salads incorporating beans & quinoa. Mmmmmm, delicious!!!!
  • bedoozled
    bedoozled Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Love them! I wouldn't necessarily say these are new ones I've tried because of any attempt to be healthier, but I got a bunch when I signed up for a CSA share - dragon beans, blue hubbard squash, kohlrabi, mustard greens, and a bunch of different varieties of tomatoes :)
  • rawfull
    rawfull Posts: 178
    Options
    I love veggies, and veggies love me. All I eat now is veggies, fruit, nuts, and seeds, and my body is healing from the SAD diet...
    Kale is my best friend...
  • Monicapierce
    Monicapierce Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I actually love veggies, except mushrooms.... other than that I grew up in a family that fried everything, so it wasnt until I grew up and had children myself and decided I would feed them like pigs that I realized how veggies are really supposed to be lol I do like raw veggies, like carrots and stuff, especially piled on a sandwich, but cooked or steamed is definitely my fav way to make them. And thankfully, my kids LOVE veggies also, my one year old will eat all her veggies before touching anything else on her plate and my four year olds son's favorite veggie in the world is artichoke!!!! But I will say that we arnt that adventurous in my family, we do not venture out and try eggplant and use beets or radishes or anything like that. We stick to the basics, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, artichoke, brocolli, asparaghus, bell peppers, spinach, corn, green beans, potatoes and stuff like that. When I steam my veggies I usually will spray some parkay or something like that on them along with a little bit of seasoning to make them extra delicious and still low cal and healthy.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I love all veggies. Except mushrooms. Ew.

I used to hate Brussels sprouts, but recently tried them again when a friend cooked for me, and I liked them! Vegetable awakening...
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I don't adore them but I have found that the preparation is what matters to me. For example, I only like asparagus if it's cooked in a wine sauce with heavy cream with chicken. I found a french recipe that I adore that really works out for me. I love bell peppers - cooked - not raw. Weird eh? I don't like raw mushrooms...they have to be added to a dish and really cooked into it. I guess you could say I prefer my veggies as part of the dish so that they add flavoring. I'm not into having them stand there by themselves without having done something to them.

P.S. I forgot to mention this one...love cooked veggies...despise salads. I just don't like them. I hear salad and my brain screams "Run!" I'm just not a cold salad type of girl. The only salad I've liked involves Panera - their oriental one with a spicy sauce and the one with apple crisps and chicken. Outside of that....nada
  • MrExcessive
    Options
    If it's a veggie eat it and eat a lot of it. Never can have too much! Love my veggies!