Veggies!!! What is your take?

Options
124»

Replies

• butterflylady86
    butterflylady86 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I enjoy vegetables. I found news ways to eat them.
  • bknemetz
    bknemetz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love almost all veggies (I'm not fond of beets or okra). And, there are a few I don't like cooked: cabbage and carrots, for example.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I have a vegan diet, previous to that I never ate veggies much aside from corn, potatoes and green beans. I ate a lot of processed food so I guess I thought veggies tasted off. I really like them now but of course, there will be some I am still not big on like carrots and cucumbers. I really like avocados and zucchini though which are new to me.
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    So great to see all you veggie eaters out there! When you make them well it makes such a huge difference for people who dont like them. I also suggest roasting veggies or throwing them on the grill, they are fantastic! Alittle oil and seasoning, throw them on and pair them with a protein, yum!!
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Love veggies, always have. I'm trying to branch out and eat more. I've learned that spaghetti squash is one of God's greatest gifts to earth and can't wait to try out butternut squash and stuffed peppers. :-)
  • amore78
    amore78 Posts: 175
    Options
    Hey everyone!

How do you feel about veggies? Love them? Hate them? Somewhere inbetween? Eat them because you know they are healthy but don't really enjoy them? lol

I have heard that your palate changes every 7 years, so I gave some veggies a try again that i used to hate in the past, and now I LOVE them! I used to hate onions, peppers, cilantro, brussel sprouts - now they are a norm in my kitchen. I have learned to love cooking and experimenting with foods, and I feel that my variety has increase alot since I gave some veggies a retry. And it has actually opened me up to trying some new ones that have intimidated me in the past (mostly because I didn't know what to do with them!)

For all who are not such big fans, why do you think that is? maybe your parents weren't the best at cooking and didn't make them well? just never experimented much with different kinds? don't know how to cook them?

And for the veggies eaters, has there been any new veggies you have added to your diet since starting your healthy lifestyle that you didn't used to eat before?

And corn and potatoes don't count, most seem to love those lol

Would love to hear your opinions!! :)

I love veggies, butttttttttttt not celery much!!
  • drdebbiejo
    Options
    I love veggies, but looking back I know my mom encouraged "sneaking" veggies as snacks and also was a fantastic cook and fed us beautifully steamed, never boiled or overcooked veggies. My children (now 14 months and 3 1/2 years) love, love their vegetables, including even things that I was reluctant about as a child (like zucchini and spinach). I think part of it may be that I ate absolutely everything while pregnant and breastfeeding, so they developed a taste for different foods (even while in utero!) and I also made virtually all of their baby food from scratch, so that from the introduction of solids they learned to like foods with a full palate of flavours, not utterly bland like canned baby food.

It's not a hard and fast rule, and I know parents who have done the same and their children still grow up as picky eaters, but at least it swings the balance in favour of a lifetime of more healthy and adventurous eating.

It's an interesting scientific tidbit that we are born with thousands of highly sensitive tastebuds that actually diminish in number and function as we age, so it's understandable that many children have difficulty with very strong flavours that they learn to like later in childhood or adulthood, and also means that your grandmother isn't making it up when she says "blueberry pie just doesn't taste like it used to!"