How do I stop from constantly eating?

Options
Hi, I was lucky to have 4 days off from work and spent all my time at home. What I learned about myself is that I think about food often, the next meal, what's in the fridge?, how it tastes and finally how much I want it. I find that all day long I would eat because I would remember something else in my fridge that I just couldn't wait until my next meal to have. I start thinking sooooo much about that food item that I feel hungry and I have to eat! I am in dire need for tips to curb those thoughts and my appetite.

Replies

• NaturallyOlivia
    NaturallyOlivia Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Snacking used to be a biggggg problem of mine too until I eventually broke the habit. But here's some tips and tricks that may help you

brush your teeth when you feel hungry
    -to me nothing tastes worst than food at least 30-hour after I've brushed my teeth

drink lots of water
    -it'll fill your stomach up and you feel like you're consuming something

sugar free popsicles
    -most popsicles are like 15 calories, they're super cheap and they're a fun snack that'll hold you over until dinner

My personal favorite :
    -mount olive jalapenos are 5 calories for 20 slices. I like spicy things so I eat them straight (If you're not a fan of spicy most pickles are about the same caloric content) they're a quick snack and they satisfy for the time being. I also find when I eat spicy things it curbs my hunger. Maybe that's a mental thing.

These aren't professional nutrition tips they're just things I find that help me out.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    You need to figure out what void you are trying to fill with food. Food is great and pleasurable but if you are getting into obsessive thought patterns about it, you need to learn what is driving that and deal with it. That is more an emotional issue or psychological issue than an eating one. The thinking about food and eating is the symtom, not the problem.
  • kesslertg
    kesslertg Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    This is probably not the best idea or suggestion for you, but I thought I would throw something out there.

If you are hyperglycemic you would, like me, have raging appetite fueled by a high-carbohydrate diet (breads, cereals, rice, pasta, fruit at the wrong time, etc.). The carbs drive a hypersensitive pancreas to excrete insulin.

You could try cutting back on processed foods for a few days and see if the appetite diminishes. Eat proteins and nice salads with moderate low-fat shredded cheese and small amount of nuts. I know it is hard. Everyone says "I love bread" but I generally think that for women "bread builds big butts" and for men "bread builds big bellies" .... hope that sayings makes you chuckle. Also you need hobbies to keep your attention so think about taking up drawing, working out during quiet times, starting a blog or something to keep you motivated. I do genealogy and that is a lot of fun.

Here is the Wiki bit about hyperglycemia (keep in mind that we hyperglycemics need to be vigilant to avoid diabetes):
    The following symptoms may be associated with acute or chronic hyperglycemia, with the first three composing the classic hyperglycemic triad:
    Polyphagia - frequent hunger, especially pronounced hunger
    Polydipsia - frequent thirst, especially excessive thirst
    Polyuria - frequent urination
    Fatigue (sleepiness)
  • butlerangelia
    butlerangelia Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i too constantly think of food. i plan out my dinner meals on paper and that way i can do my grocery shopping accordingly. i shop on saturdays and then prep my food for the week so it won't take me as long to cook it (chop onions/peppers, etc, separate meats out for that meal--do this for my hubby since i stopped eating meat about a month ago and love it!). i place the menu on my refrigerator so that way i don't have to wonder through the day what i should make. i have a standard breakfast: either protein shake w/ a banana or a breakfast taco that i have made. then i make my lunch the night before since i have a little extra time from the pre-prepping. also when i am feeling like i just want to eat and eat, i grab some nuts or trail mix and water and then hit the gym or walk my dog. if this comes when you are home alot (4 days), find something to busy yourself with. don't give up--then you'll just give in to it and feel horrible. we all mess up at some time, just start right back again! good luck!
  • butlerangelia
    butlerangelia Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    i love the brushing your teeth trick! i'll have to try that. i also eat sugar free bread and butter pickles--0 calories! if you're in texas and close to a bucee's they have a jar of candied jalapenos that are wonderful!
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Learn to eat 5 small meals a day. Balance the meals with good sources of fiber and protein. Also drinking a lot of water helps a lot. I average 15 cups a day.
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Log every single thing that you put in your mouth and commit yourself to staying within the goal that MFP gives you. If you snack all day on hi calorie snacks, you will have no calories left for dinner.

Plan out your day the night before or first thing in the morning. Allow yourself one healthy morning snack, one mid-afternoon snack, and a small snack/low-cal dessert after supper. That's it.
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I've been up and down for years. Since June 2012, my restart date, I have not felt cravings or an uncontrollable urge to snack. I'm trying to pinpoint what is different for me this time. I'm not sure which of these tactics works for me, so I'll list the changes I've made this time:

1. eat more protein - really staves off hunger
    2. drink a MINIMUM of 8 glasses of water (I count water as water. Seems to be controversial on this site but it works for me)
    3. avoid diet drinks - instantly makes me crave more sweets
    4. avoid any white wheat - I eat more complex carbs
    5. avoid fast food
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    You need to figure out what void you are trying to fill with food. Food is great and pleasurable but if you are getting into obsessive thought patterns about it, you need to learn what is driving that and deal with it. That is more an emotional issue or psychological issue than an eating one. The thinking about food and eating is the symtom, not the problem.

this...I have the same issue and need to work very hard at this
  • kaylabrianna
    Options
    It could be because you're eating so little, so your body is constantly wanting it's next meal. I'm the same.
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    It takes about 5 minutes of distraction for your craving to pass. So
    find ways to delay -

Make a cup of hot tea - the time to brew it and for it to cool enough to drink is often enough time for that craving to pass.

Walk around the block or
    10 minutes on the tmill or
    Walk up and down your steps a few times.
    Put on the radio and dance.
  • 50lbsgone
    50lbsgone Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Me too. great ideas!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Learn to eat 5 small meals a day. Balance the meals with good sources of fiber and protein. Also drinking a lot of water helps a lot. I average 15 cups a day.

For some, including me, to eat 5 times a day is self defeating as it just keeps my focus on food. What has worked best for me is to eat only 2 or 3 times per day. That way, I don't think about food constantly. Based on your ticker, you have had success with this method and congrats on that.

I still stand by my original advice for the OP, or anyone else in their situation, to learn thier owm motives and why they may overeat and develop a strategy that works for them. There is no "one size fits all" in this.
  • lessofE
    lessofE Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    gum gum gum
    Or if i feel like I really want to eat i'll have as much as i want of something low cal, like baby carrots or cucumbers.
  • sudione
    Options
    Clean up your frig and your kitchen. Get rid of unheathy sugarish foods and snacks and fill it with your favorite veggies, fat free dips and dressings....Fruits and protein shakes to make great smoothies for yourself. Start buying fat free milk and sugar free/low fat ice cream for shakes with a banana or coco powder...whatever you like...Be creative for your own taste....

If you still can't take your mind off of food, try to think about 'how to cook your next meal' the way you like it: delicious and healthy. THAT would be healthy thinking and there is nothing wrong with that. There are hundreds of great recipies on line and you can spend a good time to go through them and see which ones you like.

That's all know. I HOPE it helped somehow.

Take care of yourself. :)
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I eat out of boredom. That is what got me in trouble in the first place. Listen to your body. If you're not hungry, try not to eat (unless you are way under in calories...). If it's time to eat, do so (healthfully) and move on. Now, when I'm bored, I go to the gym instead of eat!
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    If you are eating carbohydrates for a snack, then make sure that you eat some protein at the same time. The carbohydrates give you a quick blood sugar fix. The problem is that they are digested very quickly. If you eat carbohydrates by themselves, then you will be hungry again soon. If, instead, you eat protein at the same time that you snack on carbohydrates, then you will still get the quick blood sugar fix, but the protein will be digested more slowly. This will even out your blood sugar. You won't find yourself hungry an hour later.

Try it.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    1) Shop more often (only buy enough food for 1-2 days), and portion it out (only cook enough for 1-2 meals at a time - meaning, enough for your dinner and tomorrow's lunch).

2) No crap in the house.

I have perfect discipline when I don't have to use it.
  • Brendajo510
    Options
    Clean up your frig and your kitchen. Get rid of unheathy sugarish foods and snacks and fill it with your favorite veggies, fat free dips and dressings....Fruits and protein shakes to make great smoothies for yourself. Start buying fat free milk and sugar free/low fat ice cream for shakes with a banana or coco powder...whatever you like...Be creative for your own taste....

If you still can't take your mind off of food, try to think about 'how to cook your next meal' the way you like it: delicious and healthy. THAT would be healthy thinking and there is nothing wrong with that. There are hundreds of great recipies on line and you can spend a good time to go through them and see which ones you like.

That's all know. I HOPE it helped somehow.

Take care of yourself. :)

This. Get rid of high cal snacks around the house. It's too tempting. I get sad that there are certain foods in my house now that I need to get rid of but it feels wasteful. But at the same time, I'm not going to eat it because it would ruin my diet. See what you can donate, have some friends over and let them take some food. Just get it out. Your less likely to run to the store for oreos than walk to the cabinet for them.

Also, you may want to consider a hobby or goal. Something to take up your down time and stop your focus on foods. Sometimes I like the "plan the next meal" to take up my hungry time but it can make me more hungry. I also just try to find other things. I've made cleaning (cuz I'm terrible about it) part of my workout routine. The more cals you burn, the more you can eat.
  • rockingranny45
    rockingranny45 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Drinking lots of water may help.