Low Calorie Chili please??

Options
bethany_jurries
bethany_jurries Posts: 169 Member
I am craving chili right now and I have been for two days. I want to make it but I know how high in calorie my chili is. Does anyone have a good recipe of something new I can make. I love soups, stews, and chilis so any low calorie homemade ideas would be great! thanks!!

Replies

• SarahJayRigdon
    SarahJayRigdon Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I make mine with ground turkey instead of beef. I also season it myself so I can control the amount of salt. I also am not a big bean fan so I don't but more than two cans of bean in it. But It lasts for day's (just me and my hubby) so we have lots of left overs
  • psyonix
    Options
    My wife also uses the lean ground turkey in the Crockpot turkey chili recipe she has. I'm asking her for it now so I can post it here for you. If you like a little bit of fire in it, we add 2 diced habanero peppers to it (seeds and all) which gives it a very nice and not too hot kick.
  • BellinghamBelle
    BellinghamBelle Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This is a recipe a friend of mine gave me - I haven't had a chance to make it yet, but she says it's really good!

Easy Chicken Chili
    Low Calorie Recipe
    Ingredients:
    1 pound ground chicken breast, skinless, cooked
    1/2 cup onions, chopped
    1/2 cup bell peppers, chopped
    1/4 cup celery, sliced
    1/2 teaspoon olive oil
    15 ounce can dark red kidney beans, canned, undrained
    14-1/2 ounces crushed tomatoes
    1-3/4 cup water
    6 ounce tomato paste
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    Directions:
    Place chicken, onions, bell peppers, and celery in a large skillet with oil. Cook over medium heat for ten minutes, stirring and separating chicken as it cooks. Add beans, tomatoes, water, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, salt, and garlic powder. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmerfor 30 minutes. This recipe makes 8 servings Easy Chicken Chili.
    Nutrition information per serving:
    Calories: 175
    Fat: 2g
    Calories from fat: 8%
    Protein: 18g
    Carbohydrate: 19mg
    Cholesterol: 33mg
    Sodium: 753mg
  • justdoingit
    justdoingit Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I make mine with ground soy meat to make it low fat, put in a bunch of tomatoes, taco seasoning, onions, cilantro, pinto beans and other seasonings. It is good for you and it's low fat and lower in calories than other recipes.... good luck!
  • psyonix
    Options
    Turkey Chili (crockpot)

1 lb 'lean' ground turkey (you can sub ground chicken)
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 (4 1/2 ounce) can chopped chilies, drained
    1 (14 1/2 ounce) can black beans, undrained
    1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chickpeas, undrained
    1 (14 1/2 ounce) can kidney beans, undrained
    1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juice
    1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
    1-2 tablespoon chili powder, to taste (Can substitute Chili seasoning packets like McCormick's)
    1-2 Habanero peppers diced (leave out if you don't like it hot!)

1. Cook turkey and onion in a medium fry pan over medium high heat, scramble fry until no longer pink.
    2. Drain off fat and transfer cooked meat and onion to crock pot.
    3. Add all remaining ingredients and mix well.
    4. Cook on high 6 to 8 hours OR on low for 10 hours

I live in Texas and I love my chili, this recipe here is really good in my opinion. There is enough liquid from not draining anything to keep the consistency think but not 'soupy'. We tried just throwing in the turkey raw with everything else but it tastes better if you cook it in a pan with the onions beforehand.

This is using EXTRA-LEAN ground turkey.

Nutrition Facts per serving (each serving approx. 2 cups)
    Calories 357
    Total Fat 3.2g
    Saturated Fat 0.3g
    Cholesterol 37mg
    Total Carbohydrate 54.8g
    Dietary Fiber 16g
    Sugars 7g
    Protein 31g
  • oregonlady
    oregonlady Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    yum

bump!
  • famv5
    famv5 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You could always go meatless and make a Lentil chili:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Lentil-Chili-II/Detail.aspx

It's really good and good for you. :)
  • Christie422
    Christie422 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I make lentil chili...I usually halve the recipe because it makes a ton (freezes well though). Under 100 calories for 1 cup. I stay away from chili seasoning mixes and spice it up myself to control the sodium. Also watch out for the tomatoes with green chilis...I used Rotel and they had a ton of sodium. I wasn't sure how I was going to like this but it wasn't too bad definitely tastes like chili and its way healthier. I just had some slight texture issues with the lentils, but the second time I made this I cooked them longer...much better.

1 lb dry lentils
    1 small onion, finely diced
    2 carrots, finely diced
    2 celery ribs, finely diced
    1-2 garlic cloves, finely diced
    3 sprigs cilantro, diced
    2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken stock
    2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies
    1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet chili seasoning mix or about 3 tbs. chili powder
    red pepper flakes (optional)
    salt and pepper
    Directions
    1 In a large saucepan, combine the onions, carrots, celery, garlic and cilantro. Cover and allow to sweat for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
    2 Add chicken stock and lentils. Cover and bring mixture to a boil.
    3 Reduce heat to medium. Add chili seasoning, a sprinkle of crushed pepper, and salt and pepper to taste. Cover and bring to a slow boil.
    4 Reduce heat to low and simmer 30 minutes to 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    From the link red01angel posted the other day on super bowl foods:

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/multi_bean_chili.html
  • MirandaJayne
    MirandaJayne Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Instead of using canned tomatoes crushed or otherwise, use fresh ones and chunk them mash them however you prefer. I too use ground turkey or chicken because I don't eat beef or pork. I also use the Low Sodium Old Elpaso Chili mix premade jsut makes it easier. Don't add any extra salt. I add a can of kidney beans, a 1/2 bag of baby carrots, a zuchini, mushrooms (always good as filler to replace a serving of ground meat) you could add corn, I like to add an onion too.
  • youngs
    youngs Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I make mine with small package of lean ground beef
    1pack of chili mix
    3 to 4 cans of kidney beans (small cans or 1 lg can)
    1 lg can of diced tomatos
    1 can of green chilie peppers
    1 can of tomato juice
    1 small onion
    then I add more chili seasoning to our taste and you can also add in little hot
    sauce if you like spicy
  • bethany_jurries
    bethany_jurries Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone so much! I cannot wait to try them all!! YUMMM!!!