I haven't exercised in over 7 years. Where do I start?

Options
The sad truth is - I haven't done any exercise since early 2005. Even then it was just some cardio using a nordic track and light weight lifting with a home gym (no longer have either of those items). In the past year I've lost 20+ lbs by watching what I eat and lots of walking, but now I'm ready to actually start getting FIT.

So now I need to know, how do I begint to get into shape? What exercises does the ultimate beginner of beginners start with?

I've thought of trying to fund a Zumba class but go back and forth with wether that would really do much (and if it would just be awkward and embarrassing). I also just found a 24-hour gym only a few miles away, but that seems really intimidating since I have no idea how to use any equipment, what to start with...nothing really. Total work out newbie.

Please help?

Replies

• BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I've heard Zumba is a great cardio workout though I've never done it. I started my journey with Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred with is 3 levels. It's 20ish minutes of circuit training that incorporates cardio, weights, and abs! That's a good option or the Couch to 5k program which is beginning running :) good luck!
  • DistantJ
    DistantJ Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I've heard Zumba is a great cardio workout though I've never done it. I started my journey with Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred with is 3 levels. It's 20ish minutes of circuit training that incorporates cardio, weights, and abs! That's a good option or the Couch to 5k program which is beginning running :) good luck!

Both are great suggestions! I'm a Zumba addict and am about to start the 30 Day Shred tomorrow to get quicker results. I should add that up until I tried Zumba a few months ago, I was a COMPLETE couch potato for a lot more than 7 years. :)

Best of luck to you!
  • Cameo530
    Cameo530 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    There is a great book called "You Are Your Own Gym" by Mark Lauren that is all bodyweight exercises. The terrific thing about it is that it is customizable to any fitness level and he tells you exactly how to adjust the exercises to make them easier or harder. You also don't need equipment and can do it in the privacy of your own home, and he's put together programs for you so that you don't have to figure out what to do or what order to do it in...perfect for someone (like me) who doesn't have the knowledge to feel comfortable designing her own program.

There's also a smartphone/tablet app that times the exercises for you, tracks how many reps you've done, keeps a history of your workouts, and has videos of Mark performing each of the exercises so you can see exactly how it's done. I LOVE the app. It's really helpful.

You can read more about it at http://www.marklauren.com/
  • happypath101
    Options
    I'm kind of biased because I LOVE to walk. But, I would suggest starting by taking long walks. Add some hills, speed up, go further.... and take it from there.

And, good for you for coming back to the game. :O)
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Baby steps...ease on it. Walking is a great way to exercise. :) Best of luck...
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    You can't go far wrong with a bike. Certainly worked for me
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Swimming is a great low-impact full-body workout. I'd suggest that as a starting point.
  • adietron
    Options
    I would highly recommend resistance training. It's a sure-fire way to get (and look) fit. My vote would be to join the gym, and at the very beginning, book 3 sessions with a personal trainer. You can probably even negotiate either the cost of the membership or the cost of the training sessions, if you agree to do both.

3 sessions with a trainer will give you a GREAT introduction to resistance training. You'll feel at home with the equipment instead of intimidated by it, because you've got your guide there with you to show you how everything works (as well as the proper form). They will probably set you up with three basic hour-long workouts that you can use for a while and modify as time goes on.

As a bonus, you might even get a little bit of nutrition hints and motivational coaching. They'll probably even do your body fat measurements during your initial consultation, so you'll have solid numbers to base your goals on.

If you do three days a week of resistance training, and another day of two of maintenance cardio... I think you'll be really impressed with your results. Good luck!
  • DistantJ
    DistantJ Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I forgot to say that the 30 Day Shred is free on YouTube! :happy:
  • catherineengmann
    Options
    Hello, I was in a similar position to you and for the last two months, I have been doing Davina McCall's workout DVDs - "High Energy Five" which incorporate 20 mins of cardio and 15 minutes of strength training. I have found it quite effective as you can go at your own pace. I also recently downloaded the Couch to 5k programme and am in week 2 of it which I am really enjoying so doing that three days a week and Davina McCall's DVD the other 3 days.

Failing that, just start walking. If you can start with 20 minutes a day and build it up to at least 45 minutes a day five times a week, you will get fitter.
  • 2S_1R
    2S_1R Posts: 171
    Options

Both are great suggestions! I'm a Zumba addict and am about to start the 30 Day Shred tomorrow to get quicker results. I should add that up until I tried Zumba a few months ago, I was a COMPLETE couch potato for a lot more than 7 years. :)

Best of luck to you!

Zumba is great! But if you really haven't done any high exercising, I wouldn't suggest starting with that. I am able to run up to a 10K distance when i feel good.. and I still am WAY out of breath during my Zumba classes!
  • stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    Options

No exercise in 7 years? This ^^^ is the one to start with, I think.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    If you're afraid of the drive to the gym why not research exercises on you tube, there are videos with Zumba and many other things to try. I personally do Zumba off YouTube. Buy a set of bands and use them, buy a jump rope you never go wrong with a jump rope.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it's mind over matter. I haven't worked out for 9 years (since college) when I started last Septemebr. I started with Jillain Michaels 30 Day Shred. I enjoyed it, but it didn't give me much pheyical results. I stopped after I finished 30 days, and started again January with bodyrock,tv January 30 day challenge. I just jumped into it, gave it my best and always try the exercises first before deciding if I need to modify or lower the intensity. I was surprised by how much I didn't need to modify things. I know you are asking for suggestion for where/how to start, but I think if you can just get over the thought of not knowing the machines or what to do, then you can learn anything.
  • Tracepa98
    Options
    I started out by going to the gym. It can be intimidating, trust me. But the more you go, the more at home you feel. I realized that everyone there is very polite but at the same time they are in their own world with their music/earbuds and just ready to be fit and healthy.

As for my workouts, I stick to the treadmill and the elliptical cross trainer. Just start out slow. Then work yourself on up. I have the ability also to utilize the gym's inside pool.

One thing I try to do is to mix up the workouts. Different machines, different program numbers on the machine. I also just purchased the Extreme Makeover Weight Loss Edition "The Workout" DVD with Chris Powell. It has 3 different workouts that have circuits of floor (abs) and other exercises (squats, pushups) Its great because its based off his inspirational tv show and the people doing the workouts with Chris are the contestants.

If you can, getting a Heart Rate Monitor is a great tool to keep track of your calories burned. Handy for walks and such.

Find a workout that works with you and have fun with it! :smile:

And fyi- Ive been trying off and on for years to lose weight. i found this site, followed my macros and have lost 14lbs in 25 days. Best of luck and feel free to add me as a friend :flowerforyou:
  • JudeGilford
    JudeGilford Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    If you're really at a loss for what to do, just check them all out online or on youtube. Everything is there and you'll get a feel for whether or not you want to try it. Good luck - many blessings on your journey!
  • jasondcooper
    Options
    I'd start off with low-impact exercises. Swimming and walking are great for you and there's little less chance of injury as you build your body back up after so much time off. You can always work your way up to the higher level cardio stuff, but I think you stand more chance being successful if you don't try to do too much too soon.

My own bias is showing here as walking (some jogging) is my main thing. Good luck and have fun!
  • beekuzz
    beekuzz Posts: 428 Member
    Options

From experience, definitely this suggestion. I went to take a country line dancing class and besides being completely uncoordinated, I threw my hip out of whack and that ended my classes. Don't go too fast at first. Walk and do things low impact. You don't want an injury slowing you down or stopping you altogether.
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k (C25K)

It's an app that guides you to eventually running 5km's without stopping, over 8 weeks I think it is. It assumes you have never run before, so don't be afraid! It's a great app and is what started a lot of MFP members on their way to fitness....including me!

If you're into home workouts, 30 day shred dvd is a great start.

If you're keen to go to the gym, go to some group workout classes. They keep you motivated, they are fun and they are a great way to mix it up without having to come up with ideas yourself.

Good luck!!
  • meganlee85
    Options

From experience, definitely this suggestion. I went to take a country line dancing class and besides being completely uncoordinated, I threw my hip out of whack and that ended my classes. Don't go too fast at first. Walk and do things low impact. You don't want an injury slowing you down or stopping you altogether.

Just to repeat (because it seems it must get skimmed over in my post)
    In the past year I've lost 20+ lbs by watching what I eat and lots of walking, but now I'm ready to actually start getting FIT.

Walking is great for starting, but I've done that. Ready to add things to it.

Thanks for all the help and encouragement so far everyone :)