Protein Sake after 2 mils walk.

Options
Is it good and beneficial to have a protein shake after a walking/jogging workout for 45 mins/around 2-3miles?

What do yall think?

I want to lose weight and not gain. I hears protein shakes make you gain ALOT of weight.

EDIT: I burn around 320 calories on avg with that walking/jogging session.

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    After just a short, low exertion, workout like that you probably don't need to supplement much. Maybe just plan for one of your regular daily snacks to be eaten after you get back if you feel like you want something afterwards. But there isn't really any need for it overall. With a workout at that level it's best to just let your body fuel it with the resources you've already given it since you aren't going to be doing heavy glycogen depletion or anything like that, that really needs replacing.

I typically don't supplement cardio that's under a 600-700 calorie burn, and even then it's typically something that's a bit more on carby side since I don't supplement during the workouts for something at that length. And I usually aim for it to be around 100 cals or so.

I only do protein heavier stuff after a strength workout. I lift heavy in an upper and lower body circuit that takes about an hour, so I'll usually grab something after that.

But either way, I very rarely do shakes. I did for awhile and found that they didn't do anything for me. It was actually when I stopped with the shakes that I saw more strength improvements and was upping weights on more things.
  • mad00had00
    mad00had00 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    After just a short, low exertion, workout like that you probably don't need to supplement much. Maybe just plan for one of your regular daily snacks to be eaten after you get back if you feel like you want something afterwards. But there isn't really any need for it overall. With a workout at that level it's best to just let your body fuel it with the resources you've already given it since you aren't going to be doing heavy glycogen depletion or anything like that, that really needs replacing.

I typically don't supplement cardio that's under a 600-700 calorie burn, and even then it's typically something that's a bit more on carby side since I don't supplement during the workouts for something at that length. And I usually aim for it to be around 100 cals or so.

I only do protein heavier stuff after a strength workout. I lift heavy in an upper and lower body circuit that takes about an hour, so I'll usually grab something after that.

But either way, I very rarely do shakes. I did for awhile and found that they didn't do anything for me. It was actually when I stopped with the shakes that I saw more strength improvements and was upping weights on more things.

thanks! thats interesting! I always heard that a shake after a cardio (even if its light) is really good. Especially first thing in the morning, but then if u drink it in the morning and not work it off itll basically turn into fat.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I thought this post was about some new kind of high protein sake. Bummer.

Now that I read the whole post, you are saying that you think protein shakes, which are usually low in fat TURN into fat? Please, someone with the energy to respond save this thread.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Vevvie's reply made me realize I basically ignored the turning into fat part. And no, the protein shake isn't going to just turn into fat, no matter when you drink it.

Nothing that you eat or drink is going to specifically just turn into fat in your body. But if you eat anything in excess (including protein according to a number of studies I've read up on) it can eventually turn into fat in the body (that's how we all get fat in the first place, we eat too much food, it's more than the body needs, it turns to fat). But if you're sticking to calories and macros, you'll be fine in the long run.

But everything else I said in my previous post, I'll still stand by. I'm not sure who said that you need a protein supplement after light cardio, but I haven't seen/read/heard that anywhere. Maybe it's advice from a weight lifter side of things where they're trying to preserve muscle mass while having cardio in their workouts? Not sure. But our bodies will supply more than enough fuel and not need supplementing for a 300 cal burn walk/jog.
  • savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    Options

Now that I read the whole post, you are saying that you think protein shakes, which are usually low in fat TURN into fat? Please, someone with the energy to respond save this thread.

I hate to say it but your no where near right either.....fat DOESNT make you fat so because they are low in dietary fat is pointless argument.

Now back to the topic, protein is good but taking it after workout/before/lunch/dinner/3mins before bed does not matter all that matters is hitting your daily macros/micros.

No one thing makes you fat going over your calorie goals make you fat...weither it be carrots...protein shake..chicken....chocolate...cauliflower its calories in and calories out plain and simple
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options

I hate to say it but your no where near right either.....fat DOESNT make you fat so because they are low in dietary fat is pointless argument.

Now back to the topic, protein is good but taking it after workout/before/lunch/dinner/3mins before bed does not matter all that matters is hitting your daily macros/micros.

No one thing makes you fat going over your calorie goals make you fat...weither it be carrots...protein shake..chicken....chocolate...cauliflower its calories in and calories out plain and simple

What exactly am I nowhere near right about? All I did was reiterate the statement.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

I'm disappointed too.

Eating above you're TDEE will make you gain weight not eating any specific food. (use the google machine for TDEE)
  • verapamil
    Options
    I drink 3 protein shakes a day on non workout days and usually 4 on workout days (I'm slightly hypoglycemic so I eat/drink every few hours). I'm a vegetarian so I don't get alot other places and with those I get 100+ grams of protein each day. Each one is 120 calories (made with 10 oz of water). I was jogging about 3-5 days a week (c25k) but have been slacking lately and still have been losing. I haven't been losing super quick but my body has definetly been changing in a good way. If your protein shakes are made with whole fat milk, and lots of peanut butter and stuff that makes it 1000 calories when you only have 10 calories left, then yes, it will make you fat. After a 2 mile walk and within your calories, then no.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I hears protein shakes make you gain ALOT of weight.

No.

There is no need for a protein shake after a 2 mile walk.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options

thanks! thats interesting! I always heard that a shake after a cardio (even if its light) is really good. Especially first thing in the morning, but then if u drink it in the morning and not work it off itll basically turn into fat.

Untrue.
  • lbryony76
    lbryony76 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I drink one or two protein shakes every day (low cal ones made up with water). They keep me full and I never snack when I have them. And it's much easier to keep within my calorie goals now. I really love one for breakfast.