FLAT STOMACH HELP

Options
I'm 5'5. And my highest weight was 165. I want to drop down to 140 and I'm almost there. I'm at 150. I have 10 more pounds to lose yet I hardly see any results on my stomach? That's the main area I want to lose. And I do cardio 6x a week as well. I don't know what I'm doing wrong? I'm scared that when I get to my goal weight I'll still have this belly fat. And have to lose more weight.. And I don't wanna be too thin.

Replies

• MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce belly fat. Start strength training.
  • Withlovelyv
    Options
    I know I can't. Which is why I do cardio. But it seems to not help my stomach what do ever.That lower belly problem.
  • summyv
    summyv Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Lie flat on your back, arms spread out to the sides. Keeping both legs together, lift them off the floor. Lower them slowly, until they are ALMOST but not quite touching the floor. Repeat until this hurts. Do this for a month and see what happens to your stomach.
  • tobnrn
    tobnrn Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Start lifting weights if you want your body composition to change. There are several programs, NROL, starting strength, stronglifts.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    As has been said, you cannot spot reduce. You are already at a healthy body weight so, as the others have said, the most beneficial thing to do is to strength train. I do not do it myself but New Rules of Lifting for Women is considered very good, especially if starting out.

*sigh* edited to fix a typo.
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    start lifting
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I did a lot of cardio and when I started doing pushups and the like I noticed a difference (inches went down) so I'm going to be another person who suggests strength training though I'm a big weakling
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Cardio only made me a smaller version of my fat self

Strenght training did this after 6 pregnancies
    11614737_2272.jpg
  • PisceanDream224
    Options
    You can spot TRAIN that area, even though you cannot spot reduce... I suggest Pilates and Yoga. Both of these exercises tone your core (along with every other muscle) and are considered "Core Specific"... Doing planks, bicycle crunches and any full abdominal wall exercises will help tone those muscles and lift the fat in that area. The cardio should burn off the fat. Also, consider checking out the Flat Belly Diet. Even if you don't want to follow it, you can find some delicious recipes in there that you can incorporate into your daily meals. There is also a food list that you can look over and choose foods that target the visceral fat (tummy fat) specifically. Good luck, and you will get there! :)
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Lift weights reduce or basically eliminate cardio eat more fiber
  • Withlovelyv
    Options
    Okay thank you all so much!!! ????
    So that'll basically tone making it look flatter???
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Okay thank you all so much!!! ????
    So that'll basically tone making it look flatter???

Not exactly. Loss of body fat will make it look flatter. Strength training will make what you have underneath firmer as well giving a bunch of other benefits. "Toning' your stomach will not make it look flatter in itself.
  • rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Heavy squats did more for my midsection than any cardio or ab routine ever did...strength training!
  • Taundry
    Options
    I'd suggest trying 30 Day Shred, I had a baby and gained approx 56lb, I have managed to lose all my baby weight however my tummy remained all flabby :frown: I'm currently on day 6 of 30 day shred and I've noticed a huge improvement on my stomach already! In additon I also do an hour of cardio 5 x a week but results have started showing since doing this workout! :smile:
  • VAMommyAgain
    VAMommyAgain Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    New Rules of Lifting for Women...for sure! And when you do start lifting I'd just stop using the scale at all...you'll be gaining muscle but losing fat so the scale will likely stay the same but your body will start changing.

(ps...only a 7 lb difference in my profile pic...it's pre-NROLFW up to stage 4)
  • WCSU1987
    Options
    The way my Ptrainer explained it is the composition of hour body. Keeping it basic because I am in uncharted territory. To be tone have to have a been of cardio and strength training to develop upon lean muscle. Doing this burns fat.