Ready to give in and wave the white flag

Options
2»

Replies

• ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Read some success stories - see what they have done, where they were, what they did, where they are now.

If you are not ready to do this then it won't work.

Don't put pressure on yourself to lose XX by XX date.

Just determine that you will log everything you eat - get a little digital scale so you don't over estimate. Log ahead of time, so you can decide to make changes if you need too. Don't lie to yourself. You can make you diary public if you want feedback from friends, or leave it closed as it is now - but no on can help you then.

Start walking - even a little bit - I started just walking around and around my small backyard as quickly as I could.

Just see what happens?
  • Rho_Ro
    Rho_Ro Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I was a yo-yo dieter for years and always managed to put on everything I lost plus. But this time it is different. I am going to be successful and will weigh 71 kg (156 lb) or thereabouts. I don't have a time limit for this - it is just going to be. And this time I will maintain that weight for the rest of my days. And that is the difference, my positive and determined attitude. I don't talk about "if I lose weight", I always talk about "when". And I'm realistic too. I prefer to lose weight slowly and if I put some on over a week, then so be it. I laugh it off and comment "Oops" on my diary. I only have one MFP friend, but she is fantastic and keeps me going on the really difficult days. I weighed 317 lb in October 2009 and now weigh 250 lb, I'm about 1/3 of the way through.

You are wanting to lose 99 lb in about a year, which averages out to 2lb every week. This weight loss is hard to sustain because you normally take off with a bit of a bang, then put about 1 kilo on then lose a bit more, then go up again and at some stage you will appear to have stopped (plateaued) before you start tumbling down again. I would be more inclined to work on 1 1b a week with any loss greater than that a real bonus. Perhaps you could relax a bit more about it and accept what is. Be proud of every change you make and most importantly of all, do this for YOU. For the very first time I'm changing my life for me, not my arthritic knee or my blood pressure - this one is for me. GOOD LUCK!!!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Lost 5lbs in two weeks and you're ready to quit?????

"Winners never quit and quitters never win."
    Vince Lombardi
  • strongernow
    strongernow Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    ^^^^ Very well said --- Thanks, for the reminder to FIGHT!!!
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    I would be thrilled if I lost 5lb in two weeks :wink:
  • Mink_
    Options
    Dont give up! 2 years ago I use to weigh 230. And today I weigh 200. I went through a lot of ups and downs myself through trial and error.

I dont like the taste of chicken and I hate fish. I tried to be a vegetarian countless times and wanted to just wave the white flag.

Weight Loss is hard as hell. But right when i thought "i've given up" Id find myself back on the scale to check my weight. Life is too short for regrets. Dont regret giving up on your journey. The reward in the end is a great one.
  • AliciaStaton
    AliciaStaton Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Hi please dont give in, it can be very annoying when you are doing your best . You should be proud of yourself that you have lost some weight, that is a big achievement. Ok you put 2lbs on, it happens but if you give in now, what is going to happen to all of that hard work. It has taken me a long time to get my head round it but I am finally on track after years of been overweight. I'm from the UK, so if you want to add me for support, free feel. Either way please dont give in:happy:
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Typically it goes off on one week 2 or 3... Totally normal! If you ever watched biggest loser week 2/3 is always that way! Don't panic. Might be worth changing your goals to 40% carbs 30% protein and 30% fat.. Don't eat exercise calories back until your near goal, eat 1300 - 1600 zigzagging... Lots of fiber, lots of water, wish I'd know all this earlier. They are winning formulas for me and I believe really worth a try for. You x
  • AnneC77
    AnneC77 Posts: 284
    Options
    I already sent you a reply on your wall so I will make this short. You will regret giving up more than the gain of 2lbs. Keep at it, I am a big girl and a slow loser as well, and I always quit before now, but this is not a race, keep at it.
  • kiangel
    kiangel Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Don't give up ! This is a long journey and the destination is worth it :)
  • tubbyelmo
    tubbyelmo Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is more of a marathon than a sprint, I'm about to finish week 3 and feel pretty good, drinking all the water has made my skin feel great, I can concentrate better, and I have lost some weight. I have decided to focus on more than just watching the scales go down, it's more about getting healthier. Please don't give up, feel free to add me as a friend if you want added encouragement!
  • flatblade
    flatblade Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    First the chiche--this is a marathon, not a sprint.

Five pounds is a decent loss. Weeks will vary, no question. Events occur that change your plans--sometimes you can't exercise like you want to, sometimes eating a healthy diet is difficult, if not impossible.

Remember this: You are not "on a diet", you are taking on a new healthier lifestyle. Do not let the scale rule you. If you are living healthier and feeling better, you are doing well. The scale will bear out a positive lifestyle change eventually.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    This is a lifestyle change and change is rarely easy. But you've only just begun! Aren't you worth the effort? Put away the scale if need be and focus on making positive changes, more veggies, eat cleaner. Are you eating enough? I do hope you aren't eating at 1200 calories a day. I'd throw in the towel too if that's all I ever ate. Open up your diary so we can see what you've been doing and offer advice.
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! the body weight fluctuation is totally normal and it will happen again - it's the general trend that matters.

From my own personal experience, there are 3 things that may have "caused" the extra weight:
    1) day of the week you weighed. I always weigh the least on Fridays and the most on Mondays because I tend to eat irregularly on the weekends. I sleep in, which mean smy breakfast is later, which means my lunch is later, which means the dinner is later; all of this contributes to my body going "WTF" and... er... there's no nice way to say this so I'll just say it: I usually don't poop Saturday-Monday. That's some extra weigth I'm carrying around... er... for funsies.

2) time of the month. For some women - me included - a side effect of that time of the month is that not only do you bloat, you actually weigh more, you're retaining water. Now, because it's a difficult time anyways, that extra bit of weight on the scale will send you into an emotional roller-coaster of self-hate, tears and chocolate... except if you realize it for what it is - you'll come through this, the weight will come down again and all will be well. Until next month, anyways.

3) Excercise: if you've been working out and your muscles are still sore, that means they're retaining water. Again, personal experience - Usually the day after excercising I'm 1-2 lb heavier than the day before; that will remain for a day or two, and then I drop like 3 lb; then I go excercise again and am a bit heavier again; and then a few days later I drop again... and so on.
  • scotty0210
    scotty0210 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    don't give up been there three or four times this time im getting bull bye the horns and going for it next year 3/6/2013 im taking my partner grace to Florida so need to look good she has wanted to go since she was 5 she is 25 im 55 i joined gym yesterday get my induction tomorrow so lets do it together i will weigh in every two weeks i no i can do it 2004 i cycled lands end to john o groats 1000 miles started 21 stone eat properly ended up about16 then let it go now had enough got to get fat off muscle on
  • tristanwolf1134
    Options
    Quit in August 2013 and tell me if you still wanna quit then!!

You can do this, don't stop.
  • Lahai
    Options
    I know you say your goal is to lose 99 pounds and that is fantastic...but it is so large a goal to get your head around that every little hiccup might seem like failure. Break your really big goal into smaller goals and a slight setback is not so disheartening. Make your sub-goal to lose 10 pounds in the next 6-8 weeks and focus on that rather than the big goal that is so far away. I always come back to a very Zen question when I get discouraged. "How do you eat an apple?" Answer: "One bite at a time.". Keep up the good work!
  • Arkani7
    Arkani7 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    If you quit now, you will regret it in August 2013.
  • JosieGirl1976
    JosieGirl1976 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Please don't throw in the white flag. I've done it many times and look where its gotten me - my heaviest weight ever! 5 pounds is great start.
    Don't just look at the scale either. Look at other accomplishments you are making. Are you making heatlhier choices - cutting out soda & junk food, drinking more water, exercising, etc.? The weight will eventually come off. And even if it doesn't come off as fast as you will like look at how much better you will feel.
    Don't give up on yourself. You deserve better!