Anyone criticised for exercising?

Options
124»

Replies

• GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    I agree, but with people who like to passive-aggressively put you down (and then wonder why you're mad about it), sometimes the only way to deal with their crap is to give it right back to them.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Well, my 12 year old daughter was present, and she's savvy enough to understand her dad can be a real jerk, but she saw that I'm above that and that life throws those sorts of curve balls.
    It would've looked crazy if I'd slapped him, she's the school kid, not us.

I suppose a slap isn't appropriate, but that isn't a good environment for your daughter.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Your friend is dumb.
  • casperuk
    casperuk Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone - I just wanted to gather a few opinions.

I am 34, 5'7, a size UK 10 and 10 stone 5 lbs at last weigh in. I've never been what I would consider big, although I was a size UK 18 after my 3rd child. The divorce diet worked wonders and I did lose 2 stone, purely from stress.

However, at the start of this year, I decided to do it right and tone up and get fit and healthy. So I started with a few home workout dvds, moved onto Jillian Michaels and then discovered Insanity. By that point, exercise was a daily, regular thing which I enjoyed.

But....my friend, who is 26 stone, had a go at me this weekend, saying I should just give it up, why was I doing it, what was the point? She said I clearly only wanted to make my ex husband jealous (fair point, doing a "look what you've lost!" is pretty good motivation!) and now that I'd achieved that I should just get a life! I also got that I didn't need to do any exercise, because I am already slim. She made me feel really stupid.

Has anyone else had this from people who just don't get it? I mean, I'm not obsessive, I eat plenty (mostly the wrong stuff!) and I'm not trying to lose weight in any case as I have hit my target. Why are people so negative? Jealousy?

I would deffo listen to what your morbidly obese friend of 26 stone has to say because they clearly know what's what when it comes to diet and general fitness.

Ps, this is sarcasm and I dont think that,

Tell them you are doing it for you and if that pisses the ex off then so be it thats a happy coincidence. :)

Most importantly dont let what THEY said derail YOU.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    wow...."what's the point" ?!?!

She's a moron! There are so many other benefits to working out than just weight loss. Especially now for you, you need something to empower you! It's a natural anti depressant and some of the best under used medicene there is.

Keep it up....and I'd tell her she can either be a REAL friend and support you or bug off b/c you don't need negative ppl like that in your life
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I'd say she's just jealous. Exercise is good for you whatever your weight. If slim people didn't need to exercise then gyms would only be filled with overweight people, which is not the case!

I'm a UK12/14 at the moment, so I guess I'm not really fat, but I want to be back to a 10/12 like I used to be. When I get there I will still exercise.

The only people who ever make negative comments to me about exercise are people who are overweight and can't be bothered to exercise. Jealousy! I ignore it.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I am constantly having to defend why I exercise! I am not over weight, but I run and cycle almost daily. I love the endorphins, the feeling that I have just done something amazing for my body and my health..It makes me feel awake in the mornings etc.... People always thinking I am obsessed, or trying to be skinny, making aweful comments about wanting to see me eat crap etc..It's upsetting but I have realized over the years that it is most definatly their issues!!! Their insecurities or jealousy!
    Keep doing what you are doing and DON'T defend it! You don't have to!!

"Obsessed: Is just a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated."
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=obsessed
  • fatsopig
    Options
    YES! There are a lot of jealous haters out there who will try and pull you back down into the abis of using food and the couch as a crutch. Everything your friend said comes from her own insecurity and self loathing. You need to take a good hard look at your friendship with this person and make an evaluation. Is this someone that you cherish and want to have in your life? If so, give her a little tough love. Tell her that you exercise because it makes you feel good, it helps you be a healthy and is a way for you to release stress, tension and be a better person. Help her get started on th path to change. If she contines to be a downer, you have a choice to make. Life changes force tough choices and sometimes you have to get rid of those things (and those people) that are bringing you down.
  • AbiJj
    AbiJj Posts: 26
    Options
    Hey - anyway - if you stop exercising, it's a slippery slop back to 18 stone... that should be enough for you...

Also , I have always wanted an honest opinion of "Insanity" - it looks great - how does it compare to Jillian Michaels' workouts?:smile:
  • JenMull44
    JenMull44 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    She needs to be reminded that exercise is not just to help lose weight. It is also for your health and no matter what size you are or what your goals are it is always beneficial. Keep at it!

AGREED !! Exercise is for the Body and SOUL !
  • fatsopig
    Options
    Very sweetly and suductively tell him that all things worth while are worth working and waiting for and that no matter how SMOKING HOT you get - you will still love him. That shut my husband up real quick!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone - I just wanted to gather a few opinions.

I am 34, 5'7, a size UK 10 and 10 stone 5 lbs at last weigh in. I've never been what I would consider big, although I was a size UK 18 after my 3rd child. The divorce diet worked wonders and I did lose 2 stone, purely from stress.

However, at the start of this year, I decided to do it right and tone up and get fit and healthy. So I started with a few home workout dvds, moved onto Jillian Michaels and then discovered Insanity. By that point, exercise was a daily, regular thing which I enjoyed.

But....my friend, who is 26 stone, had a go at me this weekend, saying I should just give it up, why was I doing it, what was the point? She said I clearly only wanted to make my ex husband jealous (fair point, doing a "look what you've lost!" is pretty good motivation!) and now that I'd achieved that I should just get a life! I also got that I didn't need to do any exercise, because I am already slim. She made me feel really stupid.

Has anyone else had this from people who just don't get it? I mean, I'm not obsessive, I eat plenty (mostly the wrong stuff!) and I'm not trying to lose weight in any case as I have hit my target. Why are people so negative? Jealousy?

1. If you workout more than say, 2 or 3 days a week, most people think you are a freak and are obsessive.
    2. Sometimes, as you change in life, you have to let friends go. It's ok to do so, and usually necessary.
    3. Just focus on yourself and what you know is right.
  • DeathKitty23
    DeathKitty23 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    yeah I get that a lot form people. I hate it even when I wasn;t trying to loose the weight occasionally I jsut felt like I had to go for a run or to the gym for a while but you get the whole - why bother attitude from people
    Don;t worry about it though - just ompare yourself to your friend and that clearly shows that there is a point and that it is paying off
    Do it for yourself not for anyone else
    xx
  • Beckii330
    Options
    Hey - anyway - if you stop exercising, it's a slippery slop back to 18 stone... that should be enough for you...

Also , I have always wanted an honest opinion of "Insanity" - it looks great - how does it compare to Jillian Michaels' workouts?:smile:

Sorry, just seen this.

I love Insanity but I am glad I started with JM. If I had gone straight into it without building my strength up just a little bit I think I would have given up! Saying that, I never completed a JM programme as I kept getting distracted to one or more of her DVDS! So whether the 30DS or the BFBM works, I wouldn't tell you :)