Exercise After Surgery?

Options
I am going in for surgery in a couple of weeks.Any idea's on how I can burn calories while in the hospital and during recovery.I should be okay to exercise again 2 weeks after but not sure.I don't want to just lay around.My muscles can't take it.

Replies

• geomartinez70
    Options
    depending on type of surgery, the best possible way to burn calories when exercise is restricted is walking...any kind of walking, Every little while, go for a walk to the end of the hallways or to the nurses station...anywhere. just walk!! Good luck with your recovery!
  • nashvilledragonfly
    Options
    I am getting a hysterectomy,I think the recovery is fairly quick.I guess walking it is! I just know that laying in bed to long really bothers my muscles especially in my legs.My Mother has fibromyalgia and 2 other muscle disorders that tend to run in the family.With how I have been hurting I hope that I don't have any problems. Thank you for the reply!
  • mlewis516
    Options
    You really should ask your Dr what is/isn't allowed after your surgery and how soon you can begin exercising again... I had abdominal surgery back in Feb and was restricted from any physical activities for 2 weeks. I was allowed to walk but only short distances and not for very long. It wasn't fun at all but it gave my body the time it needed to recover... If you push yourself too hard too soon after a major surgery you can cause complications which will only lead to more set-backs. Definitely check with your Dr. Good luck!
  • tagrady
    tagrady Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I second asking your doctor. I am 3 weeks post op. They told me I couldn't exercise again until I had my follow up appointment (5 weeks post op)

Everyone heals differently, but I can tell you from experience, recovery is tougher than I thought. I walked my son to the bus stop 2 weeks post op and was in pain for 2 solid days. Now at 3 weeks post op, I'm back at work today and doing a lot better. The more I pushed myself, the more set backs I had. It's best to take it slow & steady, recover fully, and then get back to to it when your better.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions!

Tracy