What can you do with Kale?

Options
A co-worker got me to try Kale. Well, long story short, I like it. So what are some ways to cook , season, or use Kale in recipes. Thanks.

Replies

• drcrisos
    drcrisos Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have recently found that I like Kale too.
    I have a blendtec blender and make green shakes every morning for my breakfast.
    I've played around and found my favorite is: kale, cucumber, parsley, ginger root, lemon juice and vanilla whey protein powder. Blend it and it makes for a very nice healthy way to start my day.
    Also use kale in soups.

Enjoy!
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Green smoothies.

Chop it up and use it in a stir fry recipe.

You can also mash it through mashed potatoes.

You could use it in a salad, but personally I'm not really a fan.
  • mitzi1235
    mitzi1235 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Shred some cabbage, tear up tender end pieces of kale only (curly ends), toss with a little chopped onion if you like that, soy sauce or Bragg's amino acids/olive oil/lemon juice mixed to tast. Really good and you can eat it for a week if you make it using a head of kale, a head of cabbage (or even a half).
  • veronica1359
    veronica1359 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I like kale cooked, as salad, in the soup, etc
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    In soups, smoothies, sauteed with garlic and red pepper flake and made into kale chips. Baby kale is good in salads too.
  • chimpy_chimp
    chimpy_chimp Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I like kale in a blender with spinach, drink mix, and blueberries. Blended, it is an amazing drink.
  • poodlegoat
    poodlegoat Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I put it with my scrambled eggs. Awesome
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
  • miechy
    miechy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Kale chips!
    tear into chip sized pieces
    toss with olive oil and salt
    sprad onto ungreased cookie sheet
    roast until crispy @400 deg F

delish. You'll think you were eating potato chips. You will eat the whole thing yourself and that's OK!
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Throw it in soups / broths like Olive gardens zuppa toscana, saute with red pepper flakes, rice wine vinegar, and sweeten with truvia to make a sweet and spicey side dish, saute with garlic and cannellini beans for a veggie dish.
  • jrbb03092
    jrbb03092 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    We made this soup last week and used kale in it (my 12-year-old kidlet's choice). It was delicious.

Hearty Bean Soup

Prep Time: 10 min.
    Cook Time: 25 min.

1 tbsp (15 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
    1 onion, chopped
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 tsp (2 ml) chili flakes
    3 fresh tomatoes, diced*
    1 can (19 oz/540 ml) mixed beans, drained and rinsed
    2 cups vegetable broth
    1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
    2 cups (500 ml) fresh or frozen cooking greens - we used kale
    1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

In a soup pot, heat oil over medium heat and cook onion, garlic and chili flakes for about 3 minutes or until softened. Add tomatoes, beans, broth and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.

Stir in greens and cook for about 5 minutes or until wilted and tender. Sprinkle with cheese to serve.

Makes 6 servings.

Per serving: 167 calories; 10 g protein; 5 g fat; 20 g carbohydrates; 5 g fibre, 663 mg sodium

* you can sub a can (28 oz/796 ml) of diced tomatoes for fresh but the fresh were really lovely
  • luppic8
    luppic8 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Make Kale chips...they are delicious!
  • finchase
    Options
    I steam it a lot and use a little Accent Seasoning and Cavender's Greek Seasoning on it. Not exciting but tasty enough. I also also like to combine it with spinach for salads. I'm going to try it in soups soon.
  • sjmgde
    sjmgde Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • azure7
    azure7 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I add kale to all of my soups and it's surprisingly good in chili. I also second the recommendation for kale chips. Enjoy! :)
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    bumping for later!

I've only ever made kale chips and juiced it, but the kale chips are to DIE for. I've read if you're going to use it in a salad you need to massage the kale to soften it before, not sure how it works though.
  • finchase
    Options
    We made this soup last week and used kale in it (my 12-year-old kidlet's choice). It was delicious.

Hearty Bean Soup

Prep Time: 10 min.
    Cook Time: 25 min.

1 tbsp (15 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
    1 onion, chopped
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 tsp (2 ml) chili flakes
    3 fresh tomatoes, diced*
    1 can (19 oz/540 ml) mixed beans, drained and rinsed
    2 cups vegetable broth
    1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
    2 cups (500 ml) fresh or frozen cooking greens - we used kale
    1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

In a soup pot, heat oil over medium heat and cook onion, garlic and chili flakes for about 3 minutes or until softened. Add tomatoes, beans, broth and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.

Stir in greens and cook for about 5 minutes or until wilted and tender. Sprinkle with cheese to serve.

Makes 6 servings.

Per serving: 167 calories; 10 g protein; 5 g fat; 20 g carbohydrates; 5 g fibre, 663 mg sodium

* you can sub a can (28 oz/796 ml) of diced tomatoes for fresh but the fresh were really lovely

That sounds really good! I've copied out the recipe so that I can try it soon.
  • harley0269
    harley0269 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    bump, i need to know too. have some sitting in the fridge & no clue what to do with it
  • emnk5308
    Options
    My aunt actually put it in a baking pan, poured a bit of lemon juice on it, and let it get crispy in the oven =)
    We snacked on it just like that! It was pretty yummy! Of course you'd wanna get more creative than that =p Maybe have it with some chicken, turn it into a pretty garnish ;D *that you would eat. *My boyfriend told me that it was meant to be a 'pallet cleanser also, so maybe use it to make your dinners pretty and then eat it at the end. :tongue: