Dont you just hate it when.......

Options
2»

Replies

• opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I either eat it within a couple of days, or I freeze it - freezing does change the texture a bit, but if you toast it, it's exactly the same as toast made from non-frozen bread. I tend to buy bagels, and freeze them, and take one out of the freezer when I need it, defrost it and toast it. I like fresh bread too though, so I buy small baguettes, and eat them in a couple of days.
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    im used to this problem... happens at home because we have an aga our kitchen is so hot everything goes off fast :( and at uni because even a small loaf was too big for one person :( what i did do at uni at one point was freeze the loaf then just take slices out as i needed them, prop them against each other like you would cards when building a card house... and it doesnt take many mins to defrost :D x
  • holly2234
    Options
    If i find mould, the whole lot goes in the bin. I've started buying smaller loaves because we were throwing waaay too much away. Either that or the long life bread that lasts 7 days.
  • SuperstarDJ
    SuperstarDJ Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    If there is mould on any of the slices then you should throw the whole loaf out. Even though there may not be visible mould on some of the slices the spores are probably on them anyway. Not good!
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Honestly, that's disgusting. Why would you even eat bread in the same packaging as molded bread? Throw it away. Eat something else. Mold isn't always visible.
  • Iceman1800
    Options
    O.... i just get rid of the entire thing and eat somethng else. I'm a freak I guess...
    best choice. Mold on one piece means mold is everywhere but just isn't visible yet
  • AlbaAngel25
    AlbaAngel25 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    ugh this happened to be last week. It was my own fault. I bought a loaf of bread from this corner store - who never has any sort of air conditioning in Toronto summer weather...ahem... lol So, I went back the same day and showed them their gross bread. The guy totally has seen this happen before...He was trying to be all quiet so other customers didn't hear lol.

I always throw it out once i see mold. Just like hair in food, If i see a piece of hair thats it, my meal is over.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    How long do you keep your bread?

Either freeze it or throw it out after the third day.

Ummmmm like a week! That's bad isn't it! There is only 2 of us in our household so we probably don't go through much

Some breads do last longer - depending on the preservatives in it. When I was in Canada, bread seemed to last much longer than it does in the UK. Although nowadays in the UK, I find there are breads that last several days after their use-by date, with no mould. You could try buying different breads and see which last longer, if you're happy to eat bread with more preservative in it. I find baguettes seem to last longer - they go stale, but not mouldy. I don't mind when they're stale - I just toast them, with cheese. Bagels seem to get mouldy quite fast though, so I always freeze them.
  • wattsj56
    Options
    we keep our bread in the microwave, it really helps. i know that's weird lol! we don't heat it up though lololol.
  • yerfgirl
    yerfgirl Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    we keep our bread in the microwave, it really helps. i know that's weird lol! we don't heat it up though lololol.

I do this too! You're not alone.

OP try this if you have one. The airtight seal on the microwave keeps the humidity out which should make your bread last longer. I think it works better than keeping it in the fridge.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I keep it in the refrigerator and have no problem with mold or staleness. If I get an extra loaf (BOGO sales), I keep that in the freezer until we're ready for it.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I keep it in the refrigerator and have no problem with mold or staleness. If I get an extra loaf (BOGO sales), I keep that in the freezer until we're ready for it.

I had the same problem, and started doing exactly that. I've also noticed that butter bread seems to go bad faster. It gets like a sour smell.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options

I take it you've never heard of a bread bin? Haha.
    Just keep it somewhere where the humidity can't get to it.
  • DavisBloome
    Options
    Bread doesn't last long enough in my house for this to happen, unless you count the little end pieces that pile up in the back of the cabinet.

Am I the only one that thinks it is funny that we throw away moldy bread but save the good bread and spread it with cheeses that have been allowed to mold on purpose? (think bleu cheese and such).
  • heliumheels
    heliumheels Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Keep it in the fridge.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Throw away the moldy piece and eat the rest. It's not going to hurt you.
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Lol I wish bread in my house lasted long enough to grow mold. I live with bread eating monsters!
    We easily go through 3 loaves in a week...
    I buy them on sale and keep them in the chest freezer. (I find it tatses funny if kept in the freezer above the fridge)
  • sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Just a random annoyance that happens on a weekly basis!

Keep your bread in the freezer and take it out as you use it. Will save you some cash, apparently.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Just a random annoyance that happens on a weekly basis!

Are you storing it properly? I rarely have bread that gets moldy, and it is bread that we have too long, or isn't stored correctly.