Energy Pill almost killed me

Options
So a couple days ago i went to get my protein from the health store i go to, when i asked the guy if he knew of anything i could do to increase my energy while at the gym he suggested a energy pill, so he gave me a sample to try and said take both pills 30 minutes prior to working out so i got home only took one, and then hit the gym.... Well it was amazing during the workout i was a beast in there, but when i got home it was like i had drank 3 gallons of straight up caffeine shots! long story short i was not able to keep any food down the rest of the day, and my heart was racing until i finally fell asleep.

My question is, is their any healthy/organic/product that i could eat, or drink, or take before hitting the gym to increase my energy, but not kill my body afterwards?

Replies

• tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I use Spark and/or Slam by Advocare.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    So a couple days ago i went to get my protein from the health store i go to, when i asked the guy if he knew of anything i could do to increase my energy while at the gym he suggested a energy pill, so he gave me a sample to try and said take both pills 30 minutes prior to working out so i got home only took one, and then hit the gym.... Well it was amazing during the workout i was a beast in there, but when i got home it was like i had drank 3 gallons of straight up caffeine shots! long story short i was not able to keep any food down the rest of the day, and my heart was racing until i finally fell asleep.

My question is, is their any healthy/organic/product that i could eat, or drink, or take before hitting the gym to increase my energy, but not kill my body afterwards?

None that are safe, no. Frankly, I am utterly amazed that you didn't learn this from your first experience with them.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options

None that are safe, no. Frankly, I am utterly amazed that you didn't learn this from your first experience with them.

Agreed. Obviously you have an adverse reaction to them so I wouldn't take anything. Drink coffee!
  • healthinside
    healthinside Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Bananas!
  • Ph4lanx
    Ph4lanx Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Bananas!

Quoted for truth! Two bananas, 20-30 minutes before you start.
  • MsMartyMac
    Options
    Apples!!!
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I'd stay away from all of them...................
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    NOXplode

Kidding! That stuff makes me feel like I'm going to have a heart attack.

Green tea is nice.
  • KittyMarie13
    Options
    I take a packet of Emergen-C fizzy vitamin drink mix. Just vitamins / no caffeine; I get a little boost from the B vitamins in it but it won't keep me up all night.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Bacon :happy:
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    It's a good you didn't take both of the pills.

I you need more energy get more sleep, eat some carbs, whole wheat bread, bananas,etc.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I would think simply working out regularly and eating healthy would be enough. I've never felt the need to increased energy to exercise, even when I was doing two-hour bouts of it every day.
  • krithsai
    krithsai Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Coffee helps me like nothing else does! I have a lot of energy post coffee, but I can also calm down quickly with a nice cold shower...I guess because of coffee's natural high-dip effect, it works out well..
  • justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I tend to avoid things like energy pills/shots whatever... I drink me some espresso in the morning... (one coffee every day) and when I work nights (3 nights per week) I usually have a big one (ok a liter bottle... but hey... I am up all night ;) on little sleep)

I find that just the fact of moving helps me be energized... yes it is difficult to get started but once the ball is rolling...

some of the different energy "solutions" have cause some pretty tremendous health issues... and some of them we aren't discovering until after they have been on the market for years...

that being said... a b-complex is good for energy... and healthy... and something that probably won't hurt you
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Royal Jelly with bee pollen. It is a super food, all natural and does many other things besides give energy.

I started using it when I stopped smoking to curb my crazy appetite, it gave me energy and it also helped with my allergy symptoms. We run by around 70 restaurants on our 5 mile jaunt around the city and it also keeps us from chewing our arm off when we are at mile 4.5 and pass by the wood fired grill.

You get it at GNC in a tub. It is going to cost around 18 bucks and if you are allergic to bees, DO NOT TOUCH IT.
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I take a tablespoon of l-carnitine before my workouts, and also first thing in the morning. It gives me a boost and I feel I am able to workout harder, but doesn't make me feel sick or make my heart race. It sounds like you are sensitive to energy pills, so if I were you I'd avoid them entirely.
  • jeddy3mcc
    jeddy3mcc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Some people just have a bad reaction to them and seems like that is what you got. I would say maybe try a bar. More important thing here is to stay safe.
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Try these.
    lg_pic_energy.png

There is no caffeine or stimulants. Just B-12. They sell them at walgreens. I love them.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter usually works for me.

As for the bee pollen - for me the jury is still out on that one. I bought bee pollen granules and have used it about three times -- once in my yogurt and the other times in my smoothie -- and I have yet to feel that "burst of energy" that it's supposed to give you when you take it.
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Eggs, edamame, goji berries, water. There's a few others too but these are my favs.
    Here's a link showing a few more good natural energy sources:

http://m.mensfitness.com/training/pro-tips/10-energy-foods