Does anybody do hot yoga?

Options
I would like to know an accurate calorie burned amount for hot yoga. I know MFP says yoga for me is like 200 some calories but the place I go to for hot yoga says for a person my height and weight can burn up to 750 calories a class. Anybody have any thoughts?

Replies

• smurfette75
    smurfette75 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Love Hot Yoga...started doing a couple months ago. For a 90 minute class I burn between 330 - 450 calories. I'm 4'11", 105 lbs.
  • Avandel
    Avandel Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Everyone burns differently, you really need an HRM to gage your burns. I only burn 479 calories in a 75 min class of hot yoga.:sad:
  • swagner73
    swagner73 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    What is "hot yoga"? I know what just plain yoga is -- I LOVE YOGA but I have never heard of hot yoga.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I love hot yoga. Unfortunately, I've never used a HRM while doing it.

You can check this out, and maybe use an average to be safe?
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/115471-calories-burned-during-bikram-yoga/
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    its like doing regular yoga in hell they heat the room up
  • pojinx
    pojinx Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I loved hot yoga and did it religiously for a couple of months!

I never really believed how many calories MFP says I burned though- it usually said 350 or so. But I would sit right next to the space heater to get the ultimate sweat. My new gym just doesnt offer it.
  • RUNN3Rmom
    Options
    What is "hot yoga"? I know what just plain yoga is -- I LOVE YOGA but I have never heard of hot yoga.

Hot yoga (I forgot what the technical term is) is yoga in an extremely hot room (temperature wise).
  • BruhManFif
    BruhManFif Posts: 136 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • ktb1962
    ktb1962 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I just started taking Bikram Yoga classes a couple of weeks ago (and I'm hooked!). I don't have a HRM, but the friend I go with wears hers and can burn about 735-750 or more. I found the calculator below and that's what I have used. I'm 5'1" and 107. Hope this helps.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/Calories-Burned-Yoga.htm
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    The way I sweat even in quite temperate conditions, Hot Yoga would probably kill me.
  • aforange
    aforange Posts: 116 Member
    Options

... I just cracked up.
  • smurfette75
    smurfette75 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    ^^^ so true!
  • happypath101
    Options
    I love it too - especially on a rainy Friday night after a tough work week. It just calms my mind and soothes out all those kinks. I've wondered about the calorie burn as well. But, I tend to the think of yoga and pilates and the like as a bonus. Regardless of the calorie burn, you're going to tone those muscles and that will help you lose inches and that's what you really want anyway. :O)
  • chocolateandpb
    chocolateandpb Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I do but I've never done it wearing an HRM. The MFP exercise tool says I only burn 145 calories doing 60 minutes of yoga. My guess is it's at least twice that (I do vinyasa flow style, so it does get my heart rate up because I'm constantly moving), but without wearing an HRM I have no way of knowing.
  • still_crafty
    still_crafty Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    does having a partner make it "hot" yoga?
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    You'll have to wear an HRM to get an accurate calorie burn, but for an hour for me, I burn somewhere around 290ish calories.

Note--Hot yoga and Bikram yoga are NOT the same thing. Hot yoga can be a hatha or vinyasa based practice, just depending on the instructor, it's basically just a yoga class with the room heated to 90-95 degrees, where as Bikram is where the room is not only heated, but the humidity is turned up as well and you do a series of 26 hatha poses (twice each). I've never tried Bikram only because there aren't that many Bikram studios around and they're kind of expensive, but I do hot yoga at least twice a week at this really awesome donation based studio, sometimes 3 times a week, and I LOVE it! Our instructors change things up a lot; this past weekend we did a more fast paced vinyasa practice and I don't think I've ever sweat so much in my life!
  • Jul158
    Jul158 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I fell in love with Bikram yoga (hot yoga) last year but haven't done it in some time. There is a lot of discrepancy for this and even though you sweat A LOT, you're not burning an insane amount of calories because it's not truly aerobic exercise. However, you do have a good burn and a lot of other health benefits (I think, sweating just feels good sometimes and makes you work on coordination, balance as well as a positive mindset). I have yet to find an accurate counter and would rather underestimate than over-estimate. I log it as regular yoga to be safe : ) The rest is a bonus!

http://www.livestrong.com/article/246090-can-you-lose-weight-by-doing-bikram-yoga/
  • Melolicious
    Melolicious Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    There is a big difference between the various styles of yoga and the a hot power flow class is to a hot restrorative what hill sprints are to walking the dog, in 40degreeCelsious heat, lol. The only way to really know for sure what you are doing personally is to wear a HRM or to compare it to another sport where you feel the same level of intensity for the same time. I think some people mistunderstand and underestimate yoga.
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I don't have much to add, I wish I had a HRM because I'm curious as well. But I love hot yoga, I do it once a week and it's especially nice on chilly days!
  • tuffer2tones
    tuffer2tones Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the positive words!! today will be my first day back to yoga in about a year or so I hope I don't pass out in all the hotness.

Where I am taking classes they offer Bikram Yoga. And they have five different classes and each class the heat and humidity changes. www.Sunstoneyoga.com....its only in the Dallas/Austin area.