Best CHEAP scale?

Options
I'm searching for a new scale because mine seems to be legitimately stupid. It's some cheap scale that we found, so no **** it doesn't work. For a while, it worked. Now it jumps around with numbers WHILE I'M STANDING ON IT.

So there's really 2 options.

1. If you know how to fix this issue, please tell me (it's a digital scale, so could it be the battery?)

2. What's a cheap REALLY ACCURATE scale that I could get?

Replies

• 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Yes, with a digital scale it could be the battery.

Also, with any scale, you want to use it on a bare surface (no carpeting) and in the same exact place each time. No one's flooring is completely level, so this helps in getting consistent readings. Also keep in mind that most digital scales store the last recorded weight in memory and don't change it unless the next weigh-in is different by a certain amount ( might be a half pound, but varies from scale to scale).

I wouldn't bother with the ones that say they track body fat as they aren't very accurate at it.

I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Digital-Bathroom-Technology/dp/B001KXZ808 I'm sure there are cheaper ones out there, but this does work very well and takes normal triple A batteries. It can be a real pain and expense to find specialty batteries, so I prefer scales that use batteries I'm likely to have in the house.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I returned two before buying a third that actually gave a consistent weight. I can't give you the brand, because it was just some really generic Chinese thing from the EZ Bargain.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I have a Weight Watchers digital scale that I bought from Walmart for about $35. It's been very reliable and I haven't changed the battery in about 2 years (I weight myself 2x a day).

0007410814343_180X180.jpg

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Weight-Watchers-Chrome-and-Glass-Digital-Scale/10972654?findingMethod=rr
  • EmCeeKayla
    EmCeeKayla Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Would it be better altogether to get an analog instead? Are they usually accurate?
    Also, I have the concern that I weigh 105 pounds, so I feel like scales are more likely to be inaccurate.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Would it be better altogether to get an analog instead? Are they usually accurate?
    Also, I have the concern that I weigh 105 pounds, so I feel like scales are more likely to be inaccurate.

I think digital scales are supposed to be more accurate. I don't know why a scale would be less accurate because you weigh 105 pounds.

I have an old Tanita, which estimates body fat through bioimpedance. After weighing myself on it for years under the same conditions, I can say that it does show body fat trends over time.

I would buy a good scale that will last, not necessarily the cheapest.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Definitely buy a digital scale. There's no such thing as a "cheap REALLY ACCURATE" scale. You get what you pay for. Just like all other things.

Taylor brand is very accurate.
  • Dare2BThin
    Dare2BThin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have a Weight Watchers digital scale that I bought from Walmart for about $35. It's been very reliable and I haven't changed the battery in about 2 years (I weight myself 2x a day).

0007410814343_180X180.jpg

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Weight-Watchers-Chrome-and-Glass-Digital-Scale/10972654?findingMethod=rr

^^^^^ THIS
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    Does your scale have memory for two weights? Mine does. I step on and off, wait for the zeros to appear and then weigh.
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    A tape measure :tongue: :heart:
    jk, idk, mine is like 15$ at walmart, its just a rough estimate for me.