Replies

• bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    There is water, pork chops, waffles.

........:huh:
  • inkjetcanvas
    Options
    I find I have a better workout (in the AM) if I have a protein shake, with a 1000mg BCAA (branch chain amino acids), and sometimes I'll add a scoop of Glutamine in my shake too. A Banana with the shake and I'm good to go.

Right now I'm trying a scoop of greens in my shake and skipping the banana, which seemed to do OK this morning, but I'll need to test more to be sure.

In short, if you can, opt for more nutrients over a stimulant so you're feeding your body what it needs over a temporary push.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    5 hour energy !
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    There is water, pork chops, waffles.

........:huh:

I agree with the water, pork chops, waffles... Its also a super food combo.
  • al369
    al369 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I take a packet of Emergen-C fizzy vitamin drink mix. Just vitamins / no caffeine; I get a little boost from the B vitamins in it but it won't keep me up all night.

I do this sometimes if I'm working out in the morning! It does help. But so does eating fruit just before working out.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    Seriously though, I take 25mg of ephedrine and 200mg of caffeine about 40mins before I start working out.
    I sweat a lot...but I have energy. LOL
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to increase your energy at the gym? Are you generally sluggish or not getting enough sleep? You should have enough energy just from proper nutrition and sleeping enough every night. Maybe you need to work on those things - take a multivitamin and make sure you're in bed 8 hours. The workout should charge you up. If it doesn't and you are working at eating properly and sleeping enough, you should go to a doctor if you feel sluggish and get your iron and thyroid levels tested to make sure you don't have a physiological imbalance making you feel fatigued.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    http://www.jissn.com/content/7/1/7

Strategic Eating and Refueling
    In addition to the general nutritional guidelines described above, research has also demonstrated that timing and composition of meals consumed may play a role in optimizing performance, training adaptations, and preventing overtraining [1,6,33,50]. In this regard, it takes about 4 hours for carbohydrate to be digested and begin being stored as muscle and liver glycogen. Consequently, pre-exercise meals should be consumed about 4 to 6 h before exercise [6]. This means that if an athlete trains in the afternoon, breakfast is the most important meal to top off muscle and liver glycogen levels. Research has also indicated that ingesting a light carbohydrate and protein snack 30 to 60 min prior to exercise (e.g., 50 g of carbohydrate and 5 to 10 g of protein) serves to increase carbohydrate availability toward the end of an intense exercise bout [51,52]. This also serves to increase availability of amino acids and decrease exercise-induced catabolism of protein [33,51,52].

When exercise lasts more than one hour, athletes should ingest glucose/electrolyte solution (GES) drinks in order to maintain blood glucose levels, help prevent dehydration, and reduce the immunosuppressive effects of intense exercise [6,53-58]. Following intense exercise, athletes should consume carbohydrate and protein (e.g., 1 g/kg of carbohydrate and 0.5 g/kg of protein) within 30 min after exercise as well as consume a high carbohydrate meal within two hours following exercise [1,31,50]. This nutritional strategy has been found to accelerate glycogen resynthesis as well as promote a more anabolic hormonal profile that may hasten recovery [59-61]. Finally, for 2 to 3 days prior to competition, athletes should taper training by 30 to 50% and consume 200 to 300 g/d of extra carbohydrate in their diet. This carbohydrate loading technique has been shown to supersaturate carbohydrate stores prior to competition and improve endurance exercise capacity [1,6,50]. Thus, the type of meal and timing of eating are important factors in maintaining carbohydrate availability during training and potentially decreasing the incidence of overtraining. The ISSN has a adopted a position stand on nutrient timing [13] that was summarized with the following points:

1. Prolonged exercise (> 60 - 90 min) of moderate to high intensity exercise will deplete the internal stores of energy, and prudent timing of nutrient delivery can help offset these changes.

2. During intense exercise, regular consumption (10 - 15 fl oz.) of a carbohydrate/electrolyte solution delivering 6 - 8% CHO (6 - 8 g CHO/100 ml fluid) should be consumed every 15 - 20 min to sustain blood glucose levels.

3. Glucose, fructose, sucrose and other high-glycemic CHO sources are easily digested, but fructose consumption should be minimized as it is absorbed at a slower rate and increases the likelihood of gastrointestinal problems.

4. The addition of PRO (0.15 - 0.25 g PRO/kg/day) to CHO at all time points, especially post-exercise, is well tolerated and may promote greater restoration of muscle glycogen when carbohydrate intakes are suboptimal.

5. Ingestion of 6 - 20 grams of essential amino acids (EAA) and 30 - 40 grams of high-glycemic CHO within three hours after an exercise bout and immediately before exercise has been shown to significantly stimulate muscle PRO synthesis.

6. Daily post-exercise ingestion of a CHO + PRO supplement promotes greater increases in strength and improvements in lean tissue and body fat % during regular resistance training.

7. Milk PRO sources (e.g. whey and casein) exhibit different kinetic digestion patterns and may subsequently differ in their support of training adaptations.

8. Addition of creatine monohydrate to a CHO + PRO supplement in conjunction with regular resistance training facilitates greater improvements in strength and body composition as compared with when no creatine is consumed.

9. Dietary focus should center on adequate availability and delivery of CHO and PRO. However, including small amounts of fat does not appear to be harmful, and may help to control glycemic responses during exercise.

10. Irrespective of timing, regular ingestion of snacks or meals providing both CHO and PRO (3:1 CHO: PRO ratio) helps to promote recovery and replenishment of muscle glycogen when lesser amounts of carbohydrate are consumed.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter usually works for me.

As for the bee pollen - for me the jury is still out on that one. I bought bee pollen granules and have used it about three times -- once in my yogurt and the other times in my smoothie -- and I have yet to feel that "burst of energy" that it's supposed to give you when you take it.

The granuals and the royal jelly with the pollen are two very different things. The royal jelly is what the larva eat as well as what the queen eats. The pollen is just that, pollen. It comes in the form of honey and is eaten by the spoon full, ONE spoon full that is.
  • snipalicous
    Options
    I use the Beachbody Pre-Workout formula, Energy and Endurance. Only because I wake up at 5am to do my workout and I am not a morning person but I always make sure I go to bed early to get enough rest. It does not makes me feel jittery or like I just had an energy drink or energy pill...I can't stand those things.
  • Martha_VH
    Martha_VH Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I take Shaklee vitamin B... as well as an energy tea sometimes. Never any of those pills... they are not good for you.
    My protein shakes help with energy too.

I also really like the idea of apples and bananas!
  • bugnbeansmom
    bugnbeansmom Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I like a Gu packet about 20 minutes prior to a race. I don't use them on a normal basis though. I also have a negative reaction to most "energy" items. If you feel that sluggish, you should really have some blood work done. Might a symptom and not the problem.
  • vinnieti
    vinnieti Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I've heard some people suggest it already, but a good night's sleep and a cup of coffee would be my recommendation. When I get to the gym early in the morning I have a small cup of coffee black.

Those energy pills always gave me adverse side effects.