Share your APPLE recipes!

Options
My parents went apple picking this weekend and now we have a LOT of apples. What are some of your favorite apple recipes? Mine is apple pie pancakes.

Apple Pie Pancakes

INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup flour (I usually do half white half wheat)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- Dash of lemon juice (1-2 tsp; reacts with the baking powder to make the pancakes fluff up)
- Cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla to taste
- Sliced or diced apples
- Milk or water (thin batter to desired thickness)

DIRECTIONS
1) In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
2) Combine the egg, milk and applesauce; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
3) Let batter sit at room temperature for 10 minutes.
4) Pour batter (no size specified) onto a greased hot griddle.
5) Sprinkle diced apples on top, or arrange sliced apples on top.
6) Turn when bubbles form on top of pancakes; cook until the second side is golden brown.

NUTRITION INFO
Need to calculate...I can't remember if I used 1 or 2 large apples so when I make it I'll make note of it and update this section with nutrition and serving size.

P.S.- I will be making up a bunch of these today and throwing them in the freezer for grab and go breakfasts. They reheat wonderfully; I recommend freezer baggies for individual servings OR wax/parchment paper wrapped individual portions in a larger freezer container.

Replies

• bizorra
    bizorra Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I love apple butter!
    Make apple sauce, spice and sweeten to taste. Maybe a little more spice and less sweet than you would normally like it. (I put whole cinnamon sticks, a few cloves, and tiny bit of nutmeg)
    Put apple sauce in crock pot with lid off, let cook for 12-24 hours, stirring occasionally.
    When it's reached a buttery-smooth thickness, put in to jars. You can can it, or just keep it in the fridge.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Bump (I LOVE apples!)
  • migdalp
    migdalp Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Sounds interestly delicious!!!
  • nszocinski
    nszocinski Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • StephanieRDMS
    StephanieRDMS Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I need apple recipes too! BUMP!!!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I made a really easy salad last night. Grate 2 apples and a bunch of peeled beets, mix together and toss with olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, and a pinch of sugar. So good.
  • kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!!
  • ShinyFuture
    ShinyFuture Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Fresh Applesauce

1/3 c unsweetened apple juice (freshly juiced works great)
    3/4 lb apples, peeled and quartered
    1 T honey (more or less, depends on individual preference)
    1/4 t cinnamon (more or less, depends on individual preference)

Put it all in a blender, whirl away until consistency you like. Super smooth, really chunky, or somewhere in between.

Or, when I'm in a bigger hurry:

Super Fresh Applesauce

1-2 fresh apples, cored but not peeled whirled in a blender.
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    bump.. i have a stewed chicken and apple recipe.. its a home so i will post it later..
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    bump.. i have a stewed chicken and apple recipe.. its a home so i will post it later..
    I cannot wait to read that.
  • kzooprincess
    kzooprincess Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    How about Pork chops with apples? Crockpot friendly!!

http://southernfood.about.com/od/crockpotporkchops/r/bl58c6.htm
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried either of these yet, but they look divine and I'm waiting for some fall apples to come my way :smile:

Apple butter:

http://changingmydestiny.wordpress.com/2011/10/08/crockpot-apple-butter/

Applesauce:

http://mommymakesitbetter.blogspot.com/2012/04/crock-pot-applesauce.html#more
  • bedoozled
    bedoozled Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Whenever I get a surplus I LOVE making William-Sonoma's Tarte Tatin recipe :)http://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/tarte-tatin.html I make mine in a cast iron skillet - delicious!

And applesauce or apple chutney is always a good option - you can can them and give any extras to friends as gifts!
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    i just like store bought apple crisp mix. and I think i'm gonna make some today.. but here's a couple of things I dug up: the last two are definitely from mfp over the past year

Apple-Cranberry Chutney

This sweet and sour, spiced chutney from author Shane Mitchell pairs particularly well with turkey, pork, or lamb. Keep the chutney in the refrigerator for up to three weeks, or process it and it will keep for one year.