1 year ago today

Options
I started with MFP and boy am I ever glad that I did. At the time that I started I was at my heaviest weight ever and was in a spiral toward some severe medical problems. I had been told I had high blood pressure for the first time in my life and I was dealing with what I would call depression about my situation. I decided that it was time to take control of my life and decided to give this site a shot at helping me. I was always skeptical about counting calories because I didn't know where to find out the calories for things like potatoes, green beans, carrots, etc... You know, foods that don't normally have a label attached to them when in their natural state. I grow a lot of my vegetables and we eat meats that we harvest ourselves so I thought I would never be able to figure those out. Little did I know that all of you here would help me with it. I'm so thankful for all the posts with words of advice and encouragement. They help me everyday. I have had many days where I think I can't possibly do this but I soon realize that there are others that have felt the same way and it's not unusual and I can work through it. You all have been tremendously instrumental in my success so far. I have a long way to go still so keep it all coming. I read it, analyze it and pass it on to my family who have also shown success. My father has lost 60+ pounds and is now in a much healthier state. My mom has lost over 30 and looks marvelous. My sister and her boyfriend have joined in now too and hopefully will show progress too. It's a family event for us. It's great.

I've had people ask about what I've done to get this far. Here it is in a nutshell. I've tracked my calories and attempted to stay at the suggested guidelines. Hasn't happened all the time but at least I tried. I weighed my meats, I measured my portions, I stayed in control. It's the days that I felt out of control that I went WAY overboard but I never let it beat me down like I had in the past. One day eating junk in the past would've blown my "diet" away. I wouldn't have tried anymore. This time it's not a diet. It's a lifestyle change. Do I eat just "diet" foods? No, I don't. I am in an area that doesn't offer organic foods and I can only grow fresh stuff in the summer. Do I never eat junk? No, I have my days that I have to have a little something. If I don't then I'm going to end up in one of those out of control states. Not good. I personally think that if you stand accountable for yourself and to yourself you'll have success. I don't do this for anybody but me. Yes, my family will reap benefits too. I cook better now than I did before. I make more vegetables and I'm teaching my sons about portion control. My Dad believed that he would starve if he did what I was doing. After a few weeks of getting used to the new portion sizes he finally admitted that what he was getting was enough. It wasn't the massive amounts that he was used to eating but it was enough. If I have only benefited him and myself in this journey it will be enough for me. I think that others will benefit from it to though. Anybody that asks I tell them what I've done. I don't pressure anybody. It's something you have to do on your own because in the end you are the only person that can control what goes in your mouth.

Here is a picture of me 2 months before I started. I believe this is my highest weight ever and I remember when this picture was taken. I tried to avoid it like crazy because I was so embarrassed by my size. I'm glad I have it now so I can look back and say "NEVER AGAIN!"

142974_896.jpg

This is me in July of last year.
142974_74.jpg

Here I am as of this morning. 96 pounds lighter and feeling MUCH better. I tried to stand the same way so you could see the difference.

142974_7435.jpg

Thanks for looking

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    sweet! Congratz!
  • daveandholly
    Options
    That is awesome! Stories like yours keep me encouraged that I can do this.
  • tabbiekaye23
    tabbiekaye23 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Great Job!!!
  • BetterVersion
    Options
    Wow! Very inspirational!!! Congrats on your weight loss so far :drinker:

I think it's even more important that you're doing what you can to encourage and assist your family members in leading a healthier lifestyle. I, too, am slowly trying to incorporate small but healthy changes into my husband and son's diets, and it's definitely not an easy feat. Keep it up!!! Good luck to you and yours :happy:
  • tigger2009
    Options
    Your story is an inspiration to us all! Keep up the good work!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Great Job. :flowerforyou:
  • shiloh25
    Options
    You are a great inspiration!! Keep up the good work!:flowerforyou:
  • Robby
    Robby Posts: 41
    Options
    You are so strong! Thank you for sharing your story. Congrats!
  • sissy56
    sissy56 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the inspiration. Good on you.
  • marybailey
    marybailey Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You must feel fabulous and you have a lot to be proud of. You have certainly learned how it works, and I wish you continued success - way to go and Happy Anniversary! :
  • mynulife
    mynulife Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful! You give me hope! Thank you!
  • happinessblossoms
    happinessblossoms Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Wow! You are incredible! You are changing your life for the better and doing a fantastic job at it. I'm so impressed by your journey thus far. Thanks for the motivation.
  • txcwgirl
    txcwgirl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Wow congratulations on the weight loss. You are an ispiration to everyone.

Thanks for the pictures, yours will be a real before and after.
  • cdickey
    cdickey Posts: 230
    Options
    Thanks for all the kind words everybody. I'm glad I can inspire, encourage and support all of you in your own quest to change. It's not an easy road and there are always things to lead us astray but we will always have each other to lean on.
  • helmsprecher
    Options
    I found this site about two weeks ago and I love it because the encouraging stories like yours. I have decided to go healthy and I am hoping that in a year my tale will be as great as yours WAY TO GO and good luck in the future
  • Hels40
    Hels40 Posts: 25
    Options
    Congratulations,you have done great so far. Keep up your wonderful hard work. The difference in your photos are amazing. A true inspiration :flowerforyou:

Helen xx
  • Jax67
    Jax67 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    How fantastic is it that you are inspiring others to become healthier in their lifestyles?!

Fantastic achievement so far, keep up the good work :drinker:
  • Alyxw
    Alyxw Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your story and you have done soooo well :):) So awesome to hear your whole family is doing so well too. well done!
  • YourCatalyst429
    YourCatalyst429 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Wooohooo! I'm so happy for you!! Feels awesome huh? Keep going....it just keeps getting better!!!:flowerforyou:
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    You've done an amazing job so far, congratulations!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!