New to MFP and overwhelmed

Options
2»

Replies

• postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Don't be overwhelmed! Set mini goals and don't be afraid to ask questions. :)
  • paramoresmisery
    Options
    I am new too, maybe we can support each other. Add me as a friend.
  • SamAdams125
    SamAdams125 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Just take it one day at at time and focus on mini goals (I like to set mine in 5 pound increments: get under 220, under 215, under 210, etc.) and focus on living a healthy lifestyle. I try to live my life how I would live it if I had that super fit body. I think about how food affects my body, not just how it tastes, and if I want something that I don't consider healthy, I'll have it occasionally. For example, for lunch today I'm going to a HS friend's calzone shop. Will I go again next week? No. I'll probably only go once more this semester, max.

When I feel like things are moving too slow, I remind myself that if I hadn't started, I'd be even heavier than before rather than having lost at a "slow" and steady (ie healthy) rate. I've been eating healthy and working out for 8 weeks and I'm down 14 pounds. Overall I have 63 pounds to go but I'm focusing on getting under 200 for now (last weigh-in I was 208.2). Focus on small victories and you'll be fine!

Also, another big thing that has helped me is getting right back on track the very next meal after I have something unhealthy. So, today, I'm having an unhealthy lunch, but my dinner and snack will be nice and healthy :) Best of luck!
  • sonjarogers72
    sonjarogers72 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the next chapter of your life. Folks here will keep you focused and motivated. I have lost 60+ lbs and it all began with losing 5 pounds at a time.....Doesnt seem like much, but it really adds up! Feel free to add me if you want! I will motivate you!
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome. It can definitely be overwhelming to look at the big picture so I agree with those who said to break it down into smaller increments. Every pound that you lose is important in your journey to a healthier you. It takes hard work and dedication, but is definitely doable. Good luck to you. Feel free to send me a friend request.
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Don't try to change everything at once. Try to build healthy habits one step at a time. Make a few small changes at a time and once you get the hang of those, change a few more things. Your pounds may not fall off, but you'll be teaching yourself healthy habits that can keep you fit for life.

Some examples of small changes: commit to drinking more water or exercising 30 minutes 3 days a week or measuring all your food or eating 3 servings of veggies everyday

Welcome it is a slow and steady journey but you can do it
  • sissie2955
    Options
    If I can, YOU Can!! It is one day & one step at a time. Atthe beginning don;t look at the big number, look at just making it go down by 1lb at a time and be happy in the loss's. If you gain then be okay with it and keep on going. Eventually the Big number will be less than the LOST number, it takes time but it can happen.

Feel ree to add me
  • ASH0424
    ASH0424 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Slow and stead is right!
    Feel free to add me for support as well!
  • HealthylivingTIG
    HealthylivingTIG Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I am new to MFP and looking to lose a significant amount of weight. I am trying to focus on small victories, especially after stepping on the scale today. I guess I am just overwhelmed by the number and the task at hand. I need to get eating under control, the exercise needs to be amped up a bit more, and I need to not be afraid of the weights at the gym. I am trying to not let the number be an emotional upheaval for me, as that is the history of my weight gains and losses. I tie a lot of **** up with that number. Good Luck to everyone and thank you!

Welcome! Kudos to you for taking the first step. If you are serious about getting healthy and fit, this is the place to be. I have learn, MFP is not about dieting. There are many many good groups that you can get involved with to kick start your plan, and to keep yourself accountable. Challenge yourself. Set small goals and work towards them one at a time. DO NOT OVER KILL. Its easy to get discouraged when trying to lose weight.. but just keep in mind, this will take TIME. Drink lots and lots of water to keep hydrated and to flush your system. Also try to exercise at least three times per week. Start Small.. maybe doing 15 per day and working your way up. Also, commit yourself to logging your meals. Be honest and count every single thing you digest. This will give you a true perspective of what you are consuming and why you need to make adjustments. You will be fine. Add me as a friend..
  • VogtAndrea
    Options
    Hi. Welcome.
    When I first started, I started small. (Don't let the 16 lbs lost fool you... it's actually 66 lbs because I didn't join right away). First be realistic about what you can and can't do. Set your weight loss goal for a realistic loss per week which will give you your macros without exercise. That being done, look at the database. You can add to it or use something that fits and already exists to fill in your food diary each day. Once you've got that figured, you can do similarly with the cardio exercises too.
    Do what you're able in the way of exercise and log that at the end of each day (yes, you can go back and log later too) then complete your day's diary. Don't forget to add the liquids.
    After that, you can up your exercise intensity as you go along and improve, and get healthier.
    Not so bad or hard to figure out once you've gotten a start.
  • cindybowcut
    cindybowcut Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Just remember, you didn't gain all your weight in one day and you aren't going to lose it all in one day. It takes time and you just need to go day by day. Don't focus on the big number because it becomes overwhelming. Set mini goals for yourself and reward yourself when you reach them. This isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle change. You can add me as a friend and I will be here to support you. You can do this.
  • sunshineshica
    Options
    Hi there! I agree with my other pals on here. Also, don't focus so much on what not to eat but more on how much of it you eat and the biggest thing to do is getting in your exercise at least 4-5 times a week for at least 30 minutes. I'm not saying to exercise like you're a bodybuilder either. Get your heartrate up even if it's just walking. Good luck!
  • pichild
    pichild Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    welcome to MFP...this is a valuable site/app. but it is only a tool and like most tools learning to use them to there best advantage is the key. a great start is to begin to be aware of what you are consuming and your daily output... find friends in like minded individuals... for some people they need to have a certain level of critisism of what they eat and praise when they are doing it right... for others all that is needed is a pat on the back as they are going along with out the harsh critisism.

should you find that you need a friend to offer support but not critisism I am here feel free to add me. I honestly dont typically look at diarys I feel like you are your own best judge. but I will be there to offer a shoulder to cry on during the tough times and to act as a cheerleader during the good.
  • uyent
    uyent Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hello! Don't be overwhelmed. Small changes are key so that don't feel so huge at first. One little change is one step closer to the big goal. We're all here to help each other out. It's a great group of people, welcome! Sent you a friend request.
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    From someone who has just been here a week now...

Alot of folks I've seen here say that they set themselves with mini-goals, and that is an awesome way to do it. Another way...my way, is I look at that weekly goal I setup of losing 2 lbs a week as my mini-goal and I'll tell you this, when I weighed in this morning and beat that goal, I've been grins all d*** day!

The other thing I use as my little bit of motivation for my exercise is when I do 40 minutes on my bike and I see that I can now have an extra 300 colories for the day...all I can think is "YAY! Extra dressing on the salad!"

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that the goals are great and a help, but try to find the rewards in every step you take towards your end Goal. I entered my "end goal" and haven't thought about it since. I will check my weight each week and gloat over the scale when I match or beat my weekly goal and that's all that you should ask of yourself too
  • complicateme86
    complicateme86 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Looking at the number can definitely be overwhelming, and can wreak havoc on your emotions. What I try to do with my patients is to try to get them to forget the number, and just focus on trying to change lifestyle - meaning slowly increasing exercise and focusing on small food goals. Staying motivated is a big thing that people struggle with which is why this site is so awesome! There are so many great people on here to keep you motivated and to encourage you when you aren't having the best day/week/month. Feel free to add me as a friend! I love helping people, and I have a huge wealth of nutrition knowledge. Best of luck in your journey!!
  • imanole
    imanole Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Open to any and all FR's.
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    sending friend request