where to go from here....

Options
so i hit my goal and i am looking to do something different. I would like to still shed some inches and get a bit tighter. I was looking at les mills pump and ChaLean extreme. I see both are different programs as pump is low weight high reps and CLX is opposite. I have another goal of 3 months to see more results. I woudl love it to be by the end of the year as we are going away on a beach vacation. Some of you may of seen my post in success stories, but for those who didn't . I am at the weight i have been most of my life 120lbs ( i'm 5ft 2) and i don't look like i used to, i still feel i am wider and carry more inches on me still, so i am looking to change that but didn't know what program woudl do that for me. I am short of time during the week though and that makes it hard. I have a good 30 min a night and maybe 2 nights i might be able to stretch that to 45 max. weekends are unlimited.... so any suggestions woudl be appreciated, as i am so confused on where to go now t get to my final goal!

Replies

• Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you do real weight lifting while eating a deficit and make your goals about body fat percentage and apperance rather than scale weight.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i don't have access to a gym, we live out of town. I was looking at buying http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/4/FitnessWellness/WeightsAccessories/PRDOVR~0840760P/Cap+Barbell+Dumbbell+Set,+40+lb.jsp?locale=en to get me started but i know nothing about lifting as i am a newbie. the only weights i have are 3 and 5 lbs that i sue for 30 ds
  • andrea9873
    andrea9873 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you do real weight lifting while eating a deficit and make your goals about body fat percentage and apperance rather than scale weight.

Amen.
  • andrea9873
    andrea9873 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I started out not long ago...this summer...there's a group on here and a book i HIGHLY recommend...
    NROLFW New Rules of Lifting For WOMEN...

I love how this program is working for me...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/119-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w-
  • chicadejmu
    chicadejmu Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Jillian Michael's Ripped in 30? 30 minutes, hard workout that includes cardio and strength. Many people lose inches from her workouts.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Ditto Determinednoob. I would definitely venture in heavier weights then 3 and 5 lbs weights. We have a set like the one you posted that my DH uses. And if you get into it, you may want to get a barbell set.
  • lin7604
    Options
    Have you tried Jillian Michael's Ripped in 30? 30 minutes, hard workout that includes cardio and strength. Many people lose inches from her workouts.

yes that is all i have done. I have done 30ds twice and rin30 i am going on my second round. i need something different this time.
  • lin7604
    Options
    so no go with PUMP or CLX? just get weights and do that at home daily? I think a program keeps me more focused and makes me complete it to my full potential then doing something on my own at home. Especially since i have never used weights on my own before, i woudl be stumped on exercises, reps, time lengths, etc. so much for a newbie to learn
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    You are a newbie... great! so now you know that you know nothing.

Get the New Rules book, Or Starting Strength (Mark Rippetoe) and LEARN!

Weight lifting, like traditional weight lifting, not your silly 8 pound pink/purple dumbbells is THE BEST way to look amazing. That tight, toned, athletic, fit look that turns heads is achieved through heavy tradition weight lifting.
  • qtiekiki
    Options
    I don't really know much about the two programs (pump and CLX)? You can always try them to see if they give you the results you want. I did bodyrock.tv before I got into lifting. I still do bodyrock sometimes on my non-strength training days. And that really help give me definition. Plus it's free, so you don't lose anything for trying.
  • lin7604
    Options
    so with only 30 min a night will be enough?
  • lin7604
    Options

Weight lifting, like traditional weight lifting, not your silly 8 pound pink/purple dumbbells is THE BEST way to look amazing. That tight, toned, athletic, fit look that turns heads is achieved through heavy tradition weight lifting.

i have no access to a gym at all, and to purchase a crazy amount of heavy weights will be very costly... i also only have 30 min a might, so that is why i was looking at another program. one that i won't need to spend a crazy amount of money with.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options

i have no access to a gym at all, and to purchase a crazy amount of heavy weights will be very costly... i also only have 30 min a might, so that is why i was looking at another program. one that i won't need to spend a crazy amount of money with.

Excuses excuses http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Or when you put the pounds back on in 6 months you can do the MFP thing all over again
  • countrygal2004
    countrygal2004 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    so no go with PUMP or CLX? just get weights and do that at home daily? I think a program keeps me more focused and makes me complete it to my full potential then doing something on my own at home. Especially since i have never used weights on my own before, i woudl be stumped on exercises, reps, time lengths, etc. so much for a newbie to learn

My fiance has been a weight lifter for 20+ years and is a sargeant in the armed forces. He really knows his stuff. He has trained people for all types of military situations and special forces. He highly recommends the book "Getting Stronger" by Bill Pearl. Calls it the "Bible" for weight lifting. I got it for $7 used on amazon. Check out the reviews. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/Getting-Stronger-Weight-Training-Women/dp/0936070048/ref=sr_1_1_title_1_pap?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1347906497&sr=1-1&keywords=getting+stronger

I started using it - General Condition #1 - and let me tell you, you'll find muscles you didn't know you had. AND I was only using 10# weights. Awesome workout. Good luck!
  • qtiekiki
    Options
    Were you referring to bodyrock when you ask if 30 min will be enough? If you look at the pics in my profile, there is a before and after pic that is the result of bodyrock alone (4 months). I am not sure if it was just the exericses or the fact that I use heavier weights or both. I was using 3 and 5lbs weights for 30DS last September when I started working out again, and didn't get physical results. I think lifting weights would give you quicker results though.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose inches of fat, definitely go with a routine that has you lifting heavier weight.

Also, for the price-conscious, resistance bands are fantastic and relatively cheap.
  • _granola
    Options
    If you can't afford a lot of weights right now, CLX is a fine program with a good set of dumbbells. I have the Bowflex SelectTech weights and they work very well with that program. I think you will get better results from that vs. Bodypump. Just make sure you are pushing yourself and going heavy enough.
  • erinm2629
    erinm2629 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am also trying to tone things up and attend BodyPump at my YMCA. I really like the reps and that i control my weight so I have been steadily increasing it every week similar to what I do when i lift heavy on my own. Any weight training is better than nothing but i get what you are saying about needing a program.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Also you could try looking at Goodwill/donation centers or Craigslist for the weights. I managed to pick up a curl bar and two 22lb plates at Goodwill last week for only $20. I was super giddy.
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options

If money is an issue and finding a dvd program that would set you off on the right path feels like the right thing for you. Then I would go for it
    Personally I like Chalean, (I have turbo jam...never tired of it) there is a CFX group on here somewhere if you would like to ask them a few questions before commiting to buying it.
    Im sure there would be o ne for PUMP as well.