But Jillian says....

Options
13»

Replies

• MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    If I ate before I did a JM workout in the morning I would VOMIT!
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I saw that. I have worked out on an empty stomach before and felt like collapsing. I almost passed out, but I think that was mostly because it was very hot outside.
  • NikkiGetsFit185
    NikkiGetsFit185 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I work out in the afternoons after work. I changed my way of eating, (eating cleaner) and i found when i went to go for my workout even eating soem fruits i was sluggish and tired, the only thing that works for me is eating a banana or a granola bar, when i did this, i was able to sustain my workouts and workout harder, so a little something right before i work out works for me, if i eat heavy before i would feel sick. but again everyone is differrnt so you just do what works for you
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    i noticed that if i walk on an empty stomach, the shin splints kick in after about 10 minutes. If i walk after a meal, i can do 3+ miles pain free....
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    'cannibalizing' - lol, Jillian finds such melodramatic phrases to express herself! It's what makes her 30 Day Shred so entertaining.

I work out on an empty stomach. My body hasn't started cannibalizing itself yet.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I'm in the military, too. Back in training, you'd wake up, have morning formation, and go out to the PT fields, THEN you would eat. After breakfast, there was an hour where the only rule was no heavy PT and no running. After that hour, you'd run everywhere and go to lunch, followed by another hour-long restricted period. In the evenings, we'd often go to eat, get that hour of no running, and have PT or some kind of physical activity later in the evening. Generally, we believed that was to help us keep our food down because we would eat and drink a LOT with each meal. But those light periods were still active. You just couldn't do "heavy" exercise. The Obstacle Course is not considered heavy exercise. Marching miles to the next training event is not considered running. And, outside those three, hour-long blocks, you ran everywhere and could be doing anything.

Even when I was in my technical school, where we had a more 9-to-5 schedule, we'd get up, do PT (sometimes for multiple hours) and only eat after we were done. Eating properly the previous day (and consistently, overall) was usually more beneficial than having something right before. I came out of there in the best shape of my life. So I don't think you're going to hurt yourself going on an empty stomach.

Since then, morning PT workouts have pretty much always been on an empty stomach, except for maybe a LITTLE water or coffee when it's cold (I don't like sounding like a water bed when I run). I also exercise after work and in the late evenings. For those two, I try not to eat too close to exercising, but I do find that I prefer not to be completely empty. So I sometimes have a snack an hour out- just enough to keep the stomach from grumbling when I'm trying to focus. If I'm still feeling good from the previous full-on meal, I don't add anything.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Jillian also sells (or at least has her name on) "Jillian Michaels JumpStart 14 Day Cleanse & Burn™" That puts her close to the Dr Oz level of credibility in my books.
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Different schools of thought, but I can tell you that I do not like to workout on either a full or an empty stomach. I like to just have a little something (like a piece of toast w/ PB) if I work out "first thing" in the morning -- esp. if it is cardio. If I work out later in the day, I will do so no sooner than 30 min. after a meal. I have worked out on an empty stomach, and swear I could taste bile. (yuck, i know) I've also ended up w/ seriousy upset stomach by end of workout.

I think you have to experiment a bit to see what works for you.
  • minnielovesmickey
    Options
    Oooh I must find Jillian on Facebook :D

I'm generally hungry in the morning so I eat before a workout. My HRM watch records less calories burned on my regular walk when I leave the house without eating.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I work out on an empty stomach, but I can't do it if I wake up hungry. Then I have to have at least a snack before I start. Sometimes I just get a spoonful of applesauce or a half glass of orange juice and I'm fine.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    fasted exercise is a thing. A very legit thing.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I've found that without some protein and carbs before a long run I'm dead after an hour and a half or so. Getting some nutrition in before (english muffin with PB for me) helps me maintain for longer. I'm going to be lookinginto some gels, though, to see if those help for the long runs, too

This is because your glycogen stores become exhausted. Shorter distances should be fine on glycogen only. Eating is only important for cardio over lost distances.

Yeah, I understand that. Everyone was just posting how they all fast before they exercise (or don't eat breakfast I mean) and for me it just doesn't work...
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Jillian is right, I find that my workout videos at home burn less than half the calories than working out at the gym, because the intensity is lower. So I can workout at home no problem, but if I go to the gym in the morning and take a class I get lightheaded and run out of steam towards the end of the class.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    If you are going to train fasted then yes it is a good idea to have a little something. Could be as small as 5g bcaa and 5g maltodextrin mixed in water. Or the bcaa in a shot of juice. Whatever. Even Martin from leangains suggests such. I think he just mentions bcaa in water.
    Can you please expand on BCAA? What does that acronym stand for exactly?
    BCAA = Branched Chain Amino Acid
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I've been following 16/8 intermittent fasting and I end-up training on an empty stomach too. I honestly haven't noticed a dip in energy with my workouts. I'll supplement with a serving of BCAA's in-between sets.

Why doesn't Jillian say something useful to women like, "don't spit, swallow."
  • cecehite19
    cecehite19 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I do beliieve it is best to eat a little protein before you exercise BUT .............. do I personally always do it?............. No.